Kevin Van Sant

Default Marantz sr-63 problem

I have a mid '90s Marantz SR-63 receiver which has had an escalating
problem with the blinking pre-on symptom. At first it might take 2-5
min to clink on then everything was fine until turned off again. But
now it's gotten so that only after at least half an hour does the amp
click on, but then it's only intermittent as I can hear it clicking on
an off every few seconds or sometimes minutes.

Googling through the archives I found reference to this problem and an
apparent solution. I have quoted the gist of that discussion below;

Subject: need help- marantz reciver model:sr-50

Don't know if this helps, but the SR-63 and SR-82 had this problem resulting
from a small capacitor bad in the power supply area. Can't quite remember
the value - I think it was 2.2 uF. It was a small yellow electrolytic.
It was used to lightly filter a dc line, then this reference was used for
the sharp cut-off function at power-off.
When the machine is turned off, it cuts off the speaker relay quicker this
way. With the bad cap, the protection just stays engaged.

the problem was a bad yellow 47u@50v capacitor in power supply

The last author reported fixing the problem by swapping out this cap.
My problem is I can't locate that capacitor. I don't have a whole
lot of experience in electronics repair but I'm perfectly comfortable
swapping out a capacitor as long as I know which one is the culprit.

So I've looked over the PS area inside the unit and I don't see any
components with markings to indicate that one is a 47u@50v capacitor.

Anyone familiar enough with this problem and the Marantz units to help
me locate the (potentially) offending cap? Thanks.
Mark D. Zacharias

Kevin Van Sant wrote:
[...]

Nice to see my old quote! That was a 2.2 uF capacitor, near one of the small
voltage regulator IC's. Most of them were yellow in color. The guy I was
helping found a 47uF in his, but it was a different model.

Mark Z.

Kevin Van Sant

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 02:17:04 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote in message
:

Nice to see my old quote! That was a 2.2 uF capacitor, near one of the small
voltage regulator IC's. Most of them were yellow in color. The guy I was
helping found a 47uF in his, but it was a different model.

hi Mark, I'm glad to see a response from you, I remember your name
from reading those older posts. I have been basing my search for the
offending capacitor on your earlier description of a yellow 2.2uF, but
I'm not seeing that on the PS board. Have you seen this on an SR-63
specifically? The other guy had an SR-50 I think. As I wrote before,
this isn't really something I've got much experience in but I'm not
afraid to dig into it, so any help in targeting that particular
capacitor would be appreciated. Would a picture be useful? Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Van Sant

wrote in message
:

Nice to see my old quote! That was a 2.2 uF capacitor, near one of the small
voltage regulator IC's. Most of them were yellow in color. The guy I was
helping found a 47uF in his, but it was a different model.

hi Mark, I'm glad to see a response from you, I remember your name
from reading those older posts. I have been basing my search for the
offending capacitor on your earlier description of a yellow 2.2uF, but
I'm not seeing that on the PS board. Have you seen this on an SR-63
specifically? The other guy had an SR-50 I think. As I wrote before,
this isn't really something I've got much experience in but I'm not
afraid to dig into it, so any help in targeting that particular
capacitor would be appreciated. Would a picture be useful? Thanks.

Ok, never mind this last question, I have located it. (I had been
looking around the PS switch area not the PS supply area.) Looks
like a lot of digging in to do but I'll give it a shot.

Kevin Van Sant
jazz guitar

http://www.kevinvansant.com
to buy my CDs, hear sound clips, see videos, and get more info.

Visit my new Instant Download Mp3 Store at:
http://www.onestopjazz.com/mp3-store.html

Alternate site for gig tape soundclips
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/kevinvansant_music.htm

Mark D. Zacharias

wrote in message
:

[...]

To answer your question, yes. I've done lots of SR-63's with this problem.
If you can't find the cap pretty quick, I'll get the location for you.
With the cover off and the front of the piece toward you, look over the top
about 4 inches in, and 5 inches or so in from the right side. You'll see
several components in a browned "baked" area. That's where the cap is. To
the left of one of the regulator heat sinks, as I recall.

Mark Z.

Kevin Van Sant

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:28:56 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote in message
:

To answer your question, yes. I've done lots of SR-63's with this problem.
If you can't find the cap pretty quick, I'll get the location for you.
With the cover off and the front of the piece toward you, look over the top
about 4 inches in, and 5 inches or so in from the right side. You'll see
several components in a browned "baked" area. That's where the cap is. To
the left of one of the regulator heat sinks, as I recall.

Mark, thanks a bunch. I had to wait for the capacitors to arrive by
mail, but they got in today. and five minutes later the Marantz is
fixed. I do love the usenet archives for this sort of thing. Saved
me $100 at least.

Kevin Van Sant
jazz guitar

http://www.kevinvansant.com
to buy my CDs, hear sound clips, see videos, and get more info.

Visit my new Instant Download Mp3 Store at:
http://www.onestopjazz.com/mp3-store.html

Alternate site for gig tape soundclips
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/kevinvansant_music.htm

Mark D. Zacharias

wrote in message
:

[...]

Fixed one with this problem day before yesterday. Wish all our repairs were
this easy. I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Mark Z.

Junior Member

Hi, It seems to me i have the same problem. the pre-amp display doesn't turn off and the amplifier doesn't click on.
I have a sr-50. Is it the same part i have to replace?
If so, where is it on the sr-50 (from what i've seen there are a few (three i think)).
How much does a part like this suppose to cost?
and my final question is where can i get it?
Thanks alot .
Dan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dan kot wrote:
Hi, It seems to me i have the same problem. the pre-amp display
doesn't turn off and the amplifier doesn't click on.
I have a sr-50. Is it the same part i have to replace?
If so, where is it on the sr-50 (from what i've seen there are a few
(three i think)).
How much does a part like this suppose to cost?
and my final question is where can i get it?
Thanks alot .
Dan.

The SR-63 gets a 2.2 uF capacitor bad in the protect circuit. Don't know if
this applies to the SR-50.

Mark Z.

Junior Member

Does it mean i have to replace the capacitor?
How much does a part like this suppose to cost?
Where can i but it from?
Thanks. Dan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dan kot wrote:
Does it mean i have to replace the capacitor?
How much does a part like this suppose to cost?
Where can i but it from?
Thanks. Dan.

IF it's an SR-63, yes, the cap would need to be replaced. The part is cheap
but a technician's labor not so cheap. The SR-50 probably has a capacitor
performing the same function in it's protection circuit - but the rating and
physical location may very well be different.

If you're not a tech type, and it certainly seems as if you are not, I have
little else to offer. I don't have a schematic on an SR-50, and this
newsgroup is really designed for those with at least a certain technical
competence, not just a vehicle for those too cheap to pay for a repair.

Mark Z.