Kevin Van Sant

Default Marantz sr-63 problem

I have a mid '90s Marantz SR-63 receiver which has had an escalating
problem with the blinking pre-on symptom. At first it might take 2-5
min to clink on then everything was fine until turned off again. But
now it's gotten so that only after at least half an hour does the amp
click on, but then it's only intermittent as I can hear it clicking on
an off every few seconds or sometimes minutes.

Googling through the archives I found reference to this problem and an
apparent solution. I have quoted the gist of that discussion below;

Subject: need help- marantz reciver model:sr-50

Don't know if this helps, but the SR-63 and SR-82 had this problem resulting
from a small capacitor bad in the power supply area. Can't quite remember
the value - I think it was 2.2 uF. It was a small yellow electrolytic.
It was used to lightly filter a dc line, then this reference was used for
the sharp cut-off function at power-off.
When the machine is turned off, it cuts off the speaker relay quicker this
way. With the bad cap, the protection just stays engaged.

the problem was a bad yellow 47u@50v capacitor in power supply

The last author reported fixing the problem by swapping out this cap.
My problem is I can't locate that capacitor. I don't have a whole
lot of experience in electronics repair but I'm perfectly comfortable
swapping out a capacitor as long as I know which one is the culprit.

So I've looked over the PS area inside the unit and I don't see any
components with markings to indicate that one is a 47u@50v capacitor.

Anyone familiar enough with this problem and the Marantz units to help
me locate the (potentially) offending cap? Thanks.