Larry C

Default My 690 router is starting to fail, anyone ever have thiers serviced

Hello,

I have a 5 year old PC 690. Over the last week the router will not start
all the time. If I unplug the router and give it a wack or 2 and spin the
shaft it may start after that.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Has anyone had any experience with having a router serviced or should I just
buy a new one.

Thanks

Larry C

Leon

"Larry C" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a 5 year old PC 690. Over the last week the router will not start
all the time. If I unplug the router and give it a wack or 2 and spin the
shaft it may start after that.

I would check the brushes first.

jo4hn

Leon wrote:

"Larry C" wrote in message

Hello,

I have a 5 year old PC 690. Over the last week the router will not start
all the time. If I unplug the router and give it a wack or 2 and spin the
shaft it may start after that.

I would check the brushes first.

Absolutely check the brushes. After a few months of use, my 690
wouldn't start at all. A few minutes of testing proved the problem to
be in the switch. Stopped by the Delta/PC store my next trip down the
hill, picked up a switch for a few bucks, and was back in business quickly.

Moral: Don't trash the machine until you know what the problem is. Or
was that something about shooting and whites of eyes?...
mahalo,
jo4hn
Larry C

Thank you all for the quick replies.

I will follow your advice.

Larry C

With an essential unknown but spontaneous start, the tool is dangerous
as hell.
Would not use the thing until competently diagnosed and fixed.
Was on case (lawsuit) where the router ate the operator royally.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

Steve

I encountered a fellow many years ago who had lost an eye to a Craftsman
Table saw. He had removed the blade guard, and was not wearing eye
protection when it happened. Even in the mid 70's, the owners manuals
(IIRC) clearly stated the need for these safety measures. Nevertheless,
he was suing Sears over it.

Weird.

--Steve

wrote:
With an essential unknown but spontaneous start, the tool is dangerous
as hell.
Would not use the thing until competently diagnosed and fixed.
Was on case (lawsuit) where the router ate the operator royally.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

Larry C

Thanks again guys, I am bringing it to the service center tomorrow.

Larry C

Jim

"Larry C" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a 5 year old PC 690. Over the last week the router will not start
all the time. If I unplug the router and give it a wack or 2 and spin the
shaft it may start after that.

Any ideas on what it could be?

As some others have said, the causes could be brushes or switches. Hitting
it won't fix either of these (in fact may make the symptoms worse).
Jim

Robatoy

In article zrC%d.12580$ed6.12065@trndny06,
"Larry C" wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with having a router serviced or should I just
buy a new one.

I really hate to burst your bubble...nope, probably no need to buy a new
one, as disappointing as that is. G

As the rest of the wrecking crew already suggested---switch or brushes.
Knowing PC the way I do...check the cord also...mmmmm..about 2" away
from the strain relief. I have had a few go on me that way.
If it is the cord, it is a wonderful opportunity to put a nice rubber
12-footer on as a replacement.
Unquestionably Confused

Steve wrote:
I encountered a fellow many years ago who had lost an eye to a Craftsman
Table saw. He had removed the blade guard, and was not wearing eye
protection when it happened. Even in the mid 70's, the owners manuals
(IIRC) clearly stated the need for these safety measures. Nevertheless,
he was suing Sears over it.

Weird.

Nope, just the current state of our society (in certain segments) No
responsibility for anything. It's always somebody elses fault.

The genius above probably argued that althought the guard was provided
and warning given, Sears made it too easy for an idiot to be, well, an
idiot.

No doubt that if Sears WELDED the guards in place and the guy took it
off contrary to their warnings, they would be sued for selling the
welding torch he used to remove itg

Best modern Router table Router? [email protected] Woodworking 21 February 24th 05 06:01 AM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Plunge or non-plunge router better under table? LRod Woodworking 31 June 28th 04 10:23 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM