MaKiNeRo d\(Ò_ó\)b

Default Three phase lines in USA

Hello

I'm spanish, my english is not veri good.

Exist three-phase lines in USA of 120/208 V or 127/220 V for comon uses
(single-phase for houses and three-phase for power)??

Or alwais use single-phase lines of 3 wires 120/240 V??

A house conected to 3 wires, high votage for power - low voltage for lights
and general use, make possible connect the 3 wires of house using 2 phase +
neutral of three-phase line??

The plug Nema 14-15, make possible connect the 3 wires of house using 2
phase + neutral of three-phase line??

Thanks!!

PD. In Spain, cohabit three-phase lines 127/220 V and 230/400 V, 50 Hz, in
star system

Jim

"MaKiNeRo d(Ò_ó)b" wrote in message
Hello

I'm spanish, my english is not veri good.

Exist three-phase lines in USA of 120/208 V or 127/220 V for comon uses
(single-phase for houses and three-phase for power)??

Three phase power has not been supplied to homes in quite some time.

Or alwais use single-phase lines of 3 wires 120/240 V??

Yes.

A house conected to 3 wires, high votage for power - low voltage for

lights
and general use, make possible connect the 3 wires of house using 2 phase

+
neutral of three-phase line??

No. The voltage between two of the wires is 240. The voltage between
either of these "hot" wires and the other wire is 120.

The plug Nema 14-15, make possible connect the 3 wires of house using 2
phase + neutral of three-phase line??

No. The old three phase system had four wires. That is 3 hot wires and one
common ground. We call that Y connected.

Thanks!!

PD. In Spain, cohabit three-phase lines 127/220 V and 230/400 V, 50 Hz, in
star system

Similar to our 3 phase system, but we use 60HZ.
Jim

Lew Hodgett

"MaKiNeRo d(Ò_ó)b" wrote:

I'm spanish, my english is not veri good.

It has got to be better than my Spanish.

Exist three-phase lines in USA of 120/208 V or 127/220 V for comon uses
(single-phase for houses and three-phase for power)??

Yes and no.

120/208Y, 3 phase, 4 wire, 60 Hz is very common for light commercial
installations such as shopping centers.

It is not used for residential applications,

120/240, 1 phase, 3 wire, 60 Hz is used for most residential installations.

This wiring configuration is commonly known as the 3 wire Edison
configuration.

It consists of a 240V transformer secondary winding with a center tap.

Leg to leg(L1 -L2) = 240Volts

Leg to center tap (L1-N) = 120Volts.

Both are 60 Hz, single phase, not 3 phase.

If you need 3 phase power in the US, it is usually only provided in
commercial/industrial areas.

HTH

Lew
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
MaKiNeRo d\(Ò_ó\)b wrote:
Hello

I'm spanish, my english is not veri good.

Exist three-phase lines in USA of 120/208 V or 127/220 V for comon uses
(single-phase for houses and three-phase for power)??

*IF* three-phase is in use, it will be 120/208 V, not 127/220V.

Or alwais use single-phase lines of 3 wires 120/240 V??

Answer: "It depends". 120/240V single-phase is, by far, the most common.
for pure residential use. However, there are towns where some areas have
three-phase distribution, and a given house will have "2-of-3 phases" from
the pole, giving 120/208 V.

Note: in such locales, the customer does *NOT* have any choice as to whether
his property is served by 120/240 single-phase, or 120/208 '2-of-3 phases';
the customer gets "whatever the neighborhood is wired for".

Bigger apartment (or condo) buildings, are more likely to have three-phase
into the building, with "2-of-3 phases" going to any particular unit.

Different RPM Loads on Rotary Phase Converters Artemia Salina Metalworking 4 September 5th 04 09:37 PM
Testing 3 phase motors Pal Metalworking 1 July 11th 04 11:50 PM
3 phase electrics jacob UK diy 10 May 18th 04 04:46 PM
General stuff on phase converters Bob Swinney Metalworking 2 November 25th 03 07:51 PM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM