Joe

Default Home Depot work bench

Any opinions of the $129.00 Home Depot work bench?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe" wrote in message
Any opinions of the $129.00 Home Depot work bench?

Not bad for the money, but . . . . . . . . .

If you are truly a handyman, woodworker, DIY guy, wouldn't you rather build
exactly what suits you?

Bob

Had one and gave it away after I decided to build my own to better suite my
needs.

"Joe" wrote in message
Any opinions of the $129.00 Home Depot work bench?

Silvan

Joe wrote:

Thanks for your input I was just curious see $130 I have, time I don't
have

Don't know if the one you're looking at is anything like mine or not, but I
imagine it probably is. I bought a workbench kit at Lowe's when I bought
my house. I figured I'd build a real one on down the line. At that point
I didn't really know what I would ultimately do with a workbench anyway. I
just felt like it was something I ought to have, seeing as how I finally
had an official shop-like space all my own.

It's not a very good bench, and I could build a better one, but it would
cost a lot of money, take a lot of time, and I don't have room for such a
huge project either. I grafted a flatter, smoother top onto the thing,
drilled some dog holes in it, put a couple of front vises on it, and it's a
lot better than nothing. Still pretty crappy though. It's just 2x6s
rudely cut and screwed together. It has a lot of wiggle in it, and it
makes planing a challenge sometimes because the bench will wiggle in such a
way as to cause the plane to chatter. I need to shore it up with some
tension rods or something one of these days, but the bench itself works
fine, and it's built, and it's there, so I expect I will probably continue
using it until 2500 or 13,000 years from now, when I finally have enough
money to afford a new shop.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Roy Smith

In article , "Joe"
wrote:

Any opinions of the $129.00 Home Depot work bench?

I bought one a few years back. It's made out of crap lumber, but you know
what, it was easy to put together and it works just fine. It sits out in
my garage where it gets banged on and sawn on and used as a potting bench.

How wrong can you go for $129?

Somebody mentioned that it's a bit wobbly. Well, you could get some 1/2"
plywood, cut panels to fit the back and sides of the legs, and screw them
on. That'll stiffen it right up. It'll still be ugly, but it won't be
wobbly anymore.

Buy it, abuse it, and a few years from now when you know better what you
want and are a bit inspired, make another one from scratch yourself. Some
of the workbenches I see pictures of in Fine Woodworking look like they
belong in a museum or an art gallery, not in a shop.
Unquestionably Confused

"Joe" wrote in message

Any opinions of the $129.00 Home Depot work bench?

'Zat the one they had on special a couple weeks ago for around $100?
The one I "saw" was labeled "walnut" on the box. They had none that
were assembled. The picture on the box looked pretty decent as a hobby
bench for something lightweight like craft stuff even though the top was
either 5/4 or 6/4 stock.

Don't know that the overall strengths or weaknesses of the thing are but
it did look pretty good for the money. Thought it might make one
helluva nice plant or potting bench on an enclosed porch, etc.