mike

Default Poly Glue Setup Time

I am working with poly glue for the first time. I have a great many
parts to assemble and do not have many clamps. What is the minimum
amount of time I can remove the clamps from 2 pieces so I can reuse
the clamps and assemble 2 more pieces. After the clamps are removed the
assembled pieces would not be under any stress for about a week.
Thanks for any and all help.

loutent

Hi Mike,

I have used poly off 'n on for about 5 years - mostly
on exterior type projects, but sometimes where I
thought it would hold a little better than 'old yeller'.

I think the poly sets up a little faster. When you see it starting to
foam, that's a good indication that you have very little
(if any) free time left.

Unless it's a water resistant application, I try to stick
to yellow. Trying to get poly stains off your hands is a real
'bear' (gorilla?) also.

Sometimes a brad is as good as a clamp 'till the glue sets'.
After 30 minutes or so with yellow/poly, you should
be able to move on - if you can shoot it with an 18 ga.
after initial clamping.

What are you buildin'?

Lou

In article . com, mike
wrote:

I am working with poly glue for the first time. I have a great many
parts to assemble and do not have many clamps. What is the minimum
amount of time I can remove the clamps from 2 pieces so I can reuse
the clamps and assemble 2 more pieces. After the clamps are removed the
assembled pieces would not be under any stress for about a week.
Thanks for any and all help.

Steve Knight

On 13 Mar 2005 16:56:33 -0800, "mike" wrote:

I am working with poly glue for the first time. I have a great many
parts to assemble and do not have many clamps. What is the minimum
amount of time I can remove the clamps from 2 pieces so I can reuse
the clamps and assemble 2 more pieces. After the clamps are removed the
assembled pieces would not be under any stress for about a week.
Thanks for any and all help.

depends on the moisture level and the temp. if your about 60 I would say about 3
hours. feel the foam and when it is not sticky it should be fine.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
mike

That is good news. I was leaving the clamps on overnight so I was not
producing much.
I am building boxes that wil be used by a camp. The boxes will be
outside for about 5 weeks each summer. Thought it best to use the poly.

It is not a paying job as I am retired. I have volunteered to do this
for the camp which is also a volunteer organization.
Thanks all for your help.

Oil Based Poly and Butcher Block Dan White Woodworking 2 October 27th 04 12:50 PM
Glue Up - High Anxiety charlie b Woodworking 6 June 29th 04 03:19 AM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 05:39 AM
Segmented Bowl Glue Line Creep Ken Vickery Woodturning 2 September 20th 03 01:38 PM