Ron Kolakowski

Default Slide-out Shelf

I need to come up with a method to occasionally extend the depth of a
counter top by about 20". The extension will have to be strong enough to
hold a sewing machine, and ideally would pull out, then lift to create a
level surface. (Sort of like one of the high-price keyboard supports) The
idea is that most of the time, the extension would be slid back under the
existing counter, then pulled out when needed. Any ideas?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message
I need to come up with a method to occasionally extend the depth of a
counter top by about 20". The extension will have to be strong enough to
hold a sewing machine, and ideally would pull out, then lift to create a
level surface. (Sort of like one of the high-price keyboard supports) The
idea is that most of the time, the extension would be slid back under the
existing counter, then pulled out when needed. Any ideas?

Back in the dark ages, when offices had typewriters many desks had a pullout
that was exactly like you want. You opened the side door and pulled it out
and up. I have no idea if they are still made. Maybe you can find an old
one at a used office furniture place.

Rick Cook

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message

I need to come up with a method to occasionally extend the depth of a
counter top by about 20". The extension will have to be strong enough to
hold a sewing machine, and ideally would pull out, then lift to create a
level surface. (Sort of like one of the high-price keyboard supports) The
idea is that most of the time, the extension would be slid back under the
existing counter, then pulled out when needed. Any ideas?

Back in the dark ages, when offices had typewriters many desks had a pullout
that was exactly like you want. You opened the side door and pulled it out
and up. I have no idea if they are still made. Maybe you can find an old
one at a used office furniture place.

There are still made. I've seen them in a recent catalog. (Lee Valley?
Rockler?)

--RC
Leuf

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:05:37 GMT, Rick Cook
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message

I need to come up with a method to occasionally extend the depth of a
counter top by about 20". The extension will have to be strong enough to
hold a sewing machine, and ideally would pull out, then lift to create a
level surface. (Sort of like one of the high-price keyboard supports) The
idea is that most of the time, the extension would be slid back under the
existing counter, then pulled out when needed. Any ideas?

Back in the dark ages, when offices had typewriters many desks had a pullout
that was exactly like you want. You opened the side door and pulled it out
and up. I have no idea if they are still made. Maybe you can find an old
one at a used office furniture place.

There are still made. I've seen them in a recent catalog. (Lee Valley?
Rockler?)

This what you mean? (watch for line wrap)

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...722,43743&ap=1

Looks like you could have the sewing machine mounted on it all the
time.

-Leuf
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:28:32 -0700, the inscrutable "Ron Kolakowski"
spake:

I need to come up with a method to occasionally extend the depth of a
counter top by about 20". The extension will have to be strong enough to
hold a sewing machine, and ideally would pull out, then lift to create a
level surface. (Sort of like one of the high-price keyboard supports) The
idea is that most of the time, the extension would be slid back under the
existing counter, then pulled out when needed. Any ideas?

The answer is "What is an appliance lift?" for $100, Alex.

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Ron Kolakowski wrote:
I need to come up with a method to occasionally extend the depth of a
counter top by about 20". The extension will have to be strong enough to
hold a sewing machine, and ideally would pull out, then lift to create a
level surface. (Sort of like one of the high-price keyboard supports) The
idea is that most of the time, the extension would be slid back under the
existing counter, then pulled out when needed. Any ideas?

Yeah.

If you have the 'under-counter' space for it, get an *old* desk -- one with
a typewriter well. transplant the mechanism, with the 'up' position at
the appropriate height. Heck, you can even leave the sewing machine on
it more-or-less permanently. Self storing. grin

Unisaw A-100

Leuf wrote:
This what you mean? (watch for line wrap)
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...722,43743&ap=1

Looks like you could have the sewing machine mounted on it all the
time.

In addition to that (if the poundage rating is good for you)
you might also want to troll through Lamp Sugatsune's site.

http://www.sugatsune.com/

UA100, who hasn't been disappointed by Lamp/Sugatsune and
reading the catalog descriptions can be fun also...
Ron Kolakowski

Lots of good ideas, but I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original
post - the space beneath the original top needs to be fairly clear,
since the manchine will be primarily used on that surface, and there
needs to be leg room underneath. In thinking this through, and after
discussions with SWMBO, I may be able to use full extension slides and
a bread-board type slide-out, living with the 1" or so offset in the
two surfaces. It would still mean giving up a couple of inches of leg
room, but should work.

Thanks for all the inputs,

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lots of good ideas, but I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original
post - the space beneath the original top needs to be fairly clear,
since the manchine will be primarily used on that surface, and there
needs to be leg room underneath.

The appliance brackets take up a few inches, but I think there will still be
enough room. Measuring my wife's machine, there is 8 `1/2" from the top of
my leg to the bottom fo the machine. In the case of the old typewriter
lifts, there was enough room to sit under it. I'd be more concerned about
having enought length to it to properly sew.

Upscale

"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message
post - the space beneath the original top needs to be fairly clear,
since the manchine will be primarily used on that surface, and there
needs to be leg room underneath. In thinking this through, and after
discussions with SWMBO, I may be able to use full extension slides and
a bread-board type slide-out, living with the 1" or so offset in the
two surfaces. It would still mean giving up a couple of inches of leg
room, but should work.

Even though you can get strong enough slides to support a sewing machine,
there's likely going to be a little bounce when the sewing machine is in
use. What about decent slides and some type of metal drop down leg or
extendable leg to support the outside of the shelf when it's out?

Larry Jaques

On 12 Mar 2005 18:28:48 -0800, the inscrutable "Ron Kolakowski"
spake:

Lots of good ideas, but I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original
post - the space beneath the original top needs to be fairly clear,
since the manchine will be primarily used on that surface, and there
needs to be leg room underneath. In thinking this through, and after
discussions with SWMBO, I may be able to use full extension slides and
a bread-board type slide-out, living with the 1" or so offset in the
two surfaces. It would still mean giving up a couple of inches of leg
room, but should work.

Thanks for all the inputs,

Hang some supports and use a pair of long drawer slides. Install a
hinged top which would fold up and in, leaning (nearly) against the
countertop to become level.

See the Lee Valley lift-top coffee table mechanism for an example of
what I mean by "up and in."

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----

my first builtin shelf... Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 4 March 1st 05 03:06 PM
The Shelf that Rearranged a Workshop - Long. Groggy Woodworking 18 January 5th 05 05:59 AM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 07:10 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 03:39 AM
Lorch Junior lathe slide rest info? Hans van Dongen Metalworking 3 November 18th 03 04:30 PM