Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 03:30:34 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Val" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a beginner, so please bear with me. I need some advice.

snip
Caulk is for hacks. You asked how to do the fix so I'm thinking you
don't want to be a hack.

Like Ed sez, don't be a hack. While caulk has its place, this is not it.
Do it right & you'll be a lot happier and prouder.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Val

Default my first builtin shelf...

I'm a beginner, so please bear with me. I need some advice.

I just finished installing my first builtin shelf, into my TV nook. It
is a fairly large hardwood shelf, supported on three sides, with a few
trims.

The problem is that one of the supporting walls is not straight. It is
a little bow shaped, and the shelf does not fully meet the wall. That
side is about 2' and I get a bow-shaped gap in the middle of that side,
which gets to be up to 1/4" at the center (I think? working from
memory.)

I am using some corner trim all around the shelf to make things look
nicer, and I was hoping that I could force the trim to meet the wall,
but alas, it turns out there is no support at that portion of the wall
to keep the trim bent that way (no wall beam, just sheetrock).

So, I'm thinking caulk may help (it's next on my list of to-do things).
Questions:

1. What type of caulk should I use, specifically for this problem? This
is not a very accessible shelf, but I expect that part of the shelf to
have a little play over time, so I'd like something that would not
crack too easily. Of course, this would also need to take paint. I was
planning to use regular painter's caulk, before I had this issue.

2. Should I fill in the gap before caulking? If so, with what?

Thanks for any advice.
db

Edwin Pawlowski

"Val" wrote in message
[...]

You have a couple of solutions. If the shelf is already cut to size, you'll
probably waste it but it can be fit. Take a pair of dividers or a simple
compass with pencil and trace the contour of the wall onto the shelf. Run
the point against the wall while the pencil marks the shelf. Cut it out to
fit. Of course you will lose about 1/4" of the material so you must allow
for that and cut the shelf to size after the fitting of the bowed side.

Another is to make the trim fit. Make some small relief cuts in the back of
the trim so it bends easily. Once that is done, nail the trim to the shelf
instead of the wall. A little wood glue would help it stay forever.

Caulk is for hacks. You asked how to do the fix so I'm thinking you don't
want to be a hack.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:07:43 +0000, the inscrutable "Luigi Zanasi"
spake:

"Val" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a beginner, so please bear with me. I need some advice.

snip
Caulk is for hacks. You asked how to do the fix so I'm thinking you
don't want to be a hack.

Like Ed sez, don't be a hack. While caulk has its place, this is not it.
Do it right & you'll be a lot happier and prouder.

I disagree. Granted, scribing a trim piece to properly fit the wall
is the only way to go for clearcoated wood (I don't do stain), a
painted shelving unit can easily hide caulk with careful knifing. To
me, a dark shadow line at a white wall/white cabinet intersection is
more ugly than well- and carefully-applied caulk.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
Mike Marlow

"Val" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a beginner, so please bear with me. I need some advice.

snip
Caulk is for hacks. You asked how to do the fix so I'm thinking you
don't want to be a hack.

Like Ed sez, don't be a hack. While caulk has its place, this is not it.
Do it right & you'll be a lot happier and prouder.

I disagree. Granted, scribing a trim piece to properly fit the wall
is the only way to go for clearcoated wood (I don't do stain), a
painted shelving unit can easily hide caulk with careful knifing. To
me, a dark shadow line at a white wall/white cabinet intersection is
more ugly than well- and carefully-applied caulk.

I agree and I would much rather have a caulk line than a piece of trim wood
that is visibly bent to follow the wall. The OP has a particularly nasty
situation with 1/4" gap over such a short span, so there is no good way to
deal with it short of feathering the wall with spackle and painting the
wall. Given the situation, my vote for the best of all evils would be a
nice straight trip piece and a caulk filler. At least the caulk filler
won't be visible from normal viewing positions, or would not be as visibly
incorrect as a curved piece of trim. It's all a matter of taste.
--

-Mike-

Specific Shelf Supports Required. Can't find them anywhere....? Sean Dees Woodworking 12 February 16th 05 01:59 AM
How to hang a shelf on the wall [email protected] Woodworking 33 January 6th 05 10:12 PM
The Shelf that Rearranged a Workshop - Long. Groggy Woodworking 18 January 5th 05 06:59 AM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 08:10 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 04:39 AM