Jim Bailey

Default Powermatic 54A Mobile Base ?

Anyone have this jointer on a mobile base ? If so, which one did you pick ?

jim

I bought my 54a with the factory mobile base. Its designed to exactly
fit the base and is welded steel. Its worked out quite well. I
expecially like the simple but highly effective stops on the rear
wheels. Jointing is an operation that exerts side forces on the base. A
base that works for a drill press or planer may not work for a jointer.
The worse thing in the world is to have your base move on you while
jointing. The powermatic factory base does not budge.

Bob

David

The one made for it.

Dave

Jim Bailey wrote:

Anyone have this jointer on a mobile base ? If so, which one did you pick ?

jim

BABs

I was literally sitting down to order one now and decided on the Powermatic
model over the HTC for the exact same reasons given here.

Bruce
"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
m...
Anyone have this jointer on a mobile base ? If so, which one did you pick
?

jim

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The one made for it.

Dave

[/i][/color]
What he said. Tom
__________________
Work at your leisure!

Bill Leonhardt

"David" wrote in message
The one made for it.

Dave

Jim Bailey wrote:

Anyone have this jointer on a mobile base ? If so, which one did you pick
?

jim

I have a 6" Yorkcraft jointer on a Harbor Freight base. I did this for two
reasons:

1. When I got the jointer, I was still developing work flow techniques and
I hadn't settled on the jointer's final location. It's too heavy to move
without wheels.

2. I expect that once in about four blue moons I'll have to move the
jointer to deal with an extremely long board.

The mobile base is pretty flimsy. It's hard to move the jointer. If I had
to move the jointer often, I'd replace it with something more substantial,
either purchased or home built. Currently, my jointer stays in one place
and, with the feet on the mobile base adjusted right, the base is stiff
enough for my needs.

Bill Leonhardt

ps I also have a Harbor Freight base on a small drill press (table top
with steel stand), which I have to move more often. Again, the base is too
flimsy and I'm considering building a better one.