Avraham

Default Palgrem jointer?

Anyone know anything about the Palmgren 82461 benchtop 6" jointer?
The Amazon reviews are good, but it's Amazon, not rec.woodworking.

TIA,
Leon

"Avraham" wrote in message
Anyone know anything about the Palmgren 82461 benchtop 6" jointer?
The Amazon reviews are good, but it's Amazon, not rec.woodworking.

TIA,

I think the brand is relative new. In general I have heard that the brand
is pretty good and unique. IIRC Sears sells a combination belt, disk,
spindle sander that is identical to the one that Palmgren makes, so it too
is probably made by Palmgren.

Charlie Self

Leon replies:
I think the brand is relative new. In general I have heard that the
brand
is pretty good and unique. IIRC Sears sells a combination belt, disk,
spindle sander that is identical to the one that Palmgren makes, so it
too
is probably made by Palmgren.

Then the benchtop jointer is pretty good--I've got the Craftsman
version, and it is heavy, stable and cuts cleanly. Much more cast iron
than you'd expect in a benchtop tool.

Avraham

On 7 Mar 2005 13:15:20 -0800, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

Leon replies:
I think the brand is relative new. In general I have heard that the
brand
is pretty good and unique. IIRC Sears sells a combination belt, disk,
spindle sander that is identical to the one that Palmgren makes, so it
too
is probably made by Palmgren.

Then the benchtop jointer is pretty good--I've got the Craftsman
version, and it is heavy, stable and cuts cleanly. Much more cast iron
than you'd expect in a benchtop tool.

I checked with Palmgren and they do indeed make the Craftsman jointer,
and they are identical. I'm not quite so thilled with the concept -
my relatively recent (say, 10-5 years ago) experiences with Craftsman
power tools leads me to believe the 'Crapsman' label they've gotten.
Thanks,
Leon

"Avraham" wrote in message

I checked with Palmgren and they do indeed make the Craftsman jointer,
and they are identical. I'm not quite so thilled with the concept -
my relatively recent (say, 10-5 years ago) experiences with Craftsman
power tools leads me to believe the 'Crapsman' label they've gotten.
Thanks,

Educate yourself with Craftsman tools before writing them off. DeWalt and
Bosch make some of the Craftsman tools among other tool makers

Avraham

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:03:22 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Avraham" wrote in message
.. .

I checked with Palmgren and they do indeed make the Craftsman jointer,
and they are identical. I'm not quite so thilled with the concept -
my relatively recent (say, 10-5 years ago) experiences with Craftsman
power tools leads me to believe the 'Crapsman' label they've gotten.
Thanks,

Educate yourself with Craftsman tools before writing them off. DeWalt and
Bosch make some of the Craftsman tools among other tool makers

Have they gotten better lately? The Craftsman 4" jointer of a few
years ago was best used as a paperweight - the in and out feed beds
wouldn't stay parallel to each other for *any* adjustment of the cut
depth. My Craftsman cordless drill was a weenie (replaced with an
equal-voltage DeWalt that was 10 times better). My Craftsman miter
saw won't cut consistent angles, even at the notched angles.. The
list goes on and on.

If they're better now, I'd be willing to try again.

Thanks,
Leon

"Avraham" wrote in message

Educate yourself with Craftsman tools before writing them off. DeWalt and
Bosch make some of the Craftsman tools among other tool makers

Have they gotten better lately? The Craftsman 4" jointer of a few
years ago was best used as a paperweight - the in and out feed beds
wouldn't stay parallel to each other for *any* adjustment of the cut
depth. My Craftsman cordless drill was a weenie (replaced with an
equal-voltage DeWalt that was 10 times better). My Craftsman miter
saw won't cut consistent angles, even at the notched angles.. The
list goes on and on.

If they're better now, I'd be willing to try again.

You need to take a look at the model numbers to see whom makes the tool.
Many manufacturers make Craftsman tools.

Avraham

On 7 Mar 2005 13:15:20 -0800, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

Leon replies:
I think the brand is relative new. In general I have heard that the
brand
is pretty good and unique. IIRC Sears sells a combination belt, disk,
spindle sander that is identical to the one that Palmgren makes, so it
too
is probably made by Palmgren.

Then the benchtop jointer is pretty good--I've got the Craftsman
version, and it is heavy, stable and cuts cleanly. Much more cast iron
than you'd expect in a benchtop tool.

OK, I went to Sears and looked at the jointer there. Now I have to
ask - is the fit'n'finish normally pretty awful, or is this one a
beat-to-death floor model? In particular, the bottom of this
example's fence was so not straight that the infeed wouldn't rise up
to a 0 cut level. The infeed-end of the fence stuck down so much it
hit the bed, preventing it from rising. Is this typical?

Thanks,
Charlie Self

Avraham responds:
I went to Sears and looked at the jointer there. Now I have to

ask - is the fit'n'finish normally pretty awful, or is this one a
beat-to-death floor model? In particular, the bottom of this
example's fence was so not straight that the infeed wouldn't rise up
to a 0 cut level. The infeed-end of the fence stuck down so much it
hit the bed, preventing it from rising. Is this typical

I'm inclined to doubt it is typical. It is certainly not the case with
mine.