Newbie

Default skil 1825 dual base router

Any experiences with this one? I think I heard somewhere it got some good
bang-for-a-buck ratings, but I am interested in user experineces. Yeah,
yeah...I know pros will scoff at it, but average users like myself - what's
your take?

Also, what projects would require stronger 3HP+ motor?

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Newbie wrote:
Any experiences with this one? I think I heard somewhere it got some good
bang-for-a-buck ratings, but I am interested in user experineces. Yeah,
yeah...I know pros will scoff at it, but average users like myself - what's
your take?

I have it. So far, at least, it's worked just fine for everything *I've*
asked it to do. Primary task having been routing slots to recess the wall
'standards' for holding shelves in new overhead kitchen cabinets.

Leon

"Newbie" wrote in message
.. .
Any experiences with this one? I think I heard somewhere it got some good
bang-for-a-buck ratings, but I am interested in user experineces. Yeah,
yeah...I know pros will scoff at it, but average users like myself -
what's
your take?

Also, what projects would require stronger 3HP+ motor?

Well it sounds like you have your mind made up and you will not be using it
as much as a pro. If this is not your first router then you certainly
should know what you are looking for. Compared to many other brand routers
it will probably be at the back of the pack. That is not to say however
that it will not serve you well. I have been wood working seriously for
almost 30 years and would not consider the Skil brand for any thing except
their worm drive circle saw.
You would need a hip/15 amp router along with variable speed for spinning
horizontal raised panel bits or most any bit greater than 2" in diameter.

Newbie

"Leon" wrote in message

| "Newbie" wrote in message
| .. .
| Any experiences with this one? I think I heard somewhere it got some
good
| bang-for-a-buck ratings, but I am interested in user experineces. Yeah,
| yeah...I know pros will scoff at it, but average users like myself -
| what's
| your take?
|
| Also, what projects would require stronger 3HP+ motor?
|

| Well it sounds like you have your mind made up and you will not be using
it
| as much as a pro. If this is not your first router then you certainly
| should know what you are looking for. Compared to many other brand
routers
| it will probably be at the back of the pack.

OK, perhaps you would recommend Hitachi's 31/4HP, Amazon's top rated one.
Trouble is, they don't ship to Canada. Any alternatives for a budget of $US
150?

rmc

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:39:02 -0500, Newbie wrote:

Any experiences with this one? I think I heard somewhere it got some good
bang-for-a-buck ratings, but I am interested in user experineces. Yeah,
yeah...I know pros will scoff at it, but average users like myself -
what's your take?

Also, what projects would require stronger 3HP+ motor?

I have the Skil 1825 and I'm quite happy with it. For $99 a 2 1/4 hp
router with a plunge base ain't bad.

BUT. Their are a couple of issues I have with it. Dust collection sucks.
The dust port will NOT fit your shop vac. or d.c. system (with out an
addon). The base won't accept P.C. bushings. After market bases that fit
the router are hard to find. The edge guide is cheap plastic, no where
near the quality of the P.C. or yellow beast.

I guess it's up to you it's your wallet.

YAB (Yet another Bob)

Leon

"Newbie" wrote in message
.. .

OK, perhaps you would recommend Hitachi's 31/4HP, Amazon's top rated one.
Trouble is, they don't ship to Canada. Any alternatives for a budget of
$US
150?

Porter Cable, Bosch, DeWalt, or Makita would be the brands that I would
look at in that price range. However, in that price range most are going to
be in the 2-2.5 hp/12 amp range. For the big routers capable of spinning
the big bits the Hitachi is probably going to be the cheapest. The big ones
are going to be in the $300 range.