pray4surf

Default Table Saw Woes

Craftsman - Model 137.248830 - 3.0 HP

Not the best (by a long shot) But mine...

Used it today to rip and crosscut (with sled)... Finished up a crosscut,
turned the switch off. Once blade stopped spinning, removed the work and
the sled.

Unplugged from power supply to use the CMS... Went back a little later,
plugged the unit back into the power supply, flipped the switch... Nothing.
Test power supply, other tools run fine....

*#@*&....

RTFM - Three possible causes:

1. Saw not plugged in - Yes it is
2. Fuse Blown or CB tripped - Saw no mention in manual for fuse, CB (Reset)
still in depressed mode.
3. Cord damaged - Nothing visible, only exposed connections are Grounds, all
are secure, no other visible connections...

Is there a fuse, or simply the Circuit Breaker??

I'm puzzled, work stops... Any suggestions?

Rick

--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Edwin Pawlowski

"pray4surf" wrote in message

RTFM - Three possible causes:

1. Saw not plugged in - Yes it is
2. Fuse Blown or CB tripped - Saw no mention in manual for fuse, CB
(Reset)
still in depressed mode.
3. Cord damaged - Nothing visible, only exposed connections are Grounds,
all
are secure, no other visible connections...

What about from the power cord to switch to motor connections? Check with a
meter to see if power is at the switch and getting past it.

Is there a fuse, or simply the Circuit Breaker??

Some motors have a manual reset button and you say it is already depressed.
Can I assume yo not only looked at it, but also tried to push it in "just in
case"?

LP

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 03:19:48 GMT, "pray4surf"
wrote:

[...]

Thermal reset button on motor. Usually on one end but may be
elsewhere on yours.
Leon

"pray4surf" wrote in message
news

1. Saw not plugged in - Yes it is
2. Fuse Blown or CB tripped - Saw no mention in manual for fuse, CB
(Reset)
still in depressed mode.
3. Cord damaged - Nothing visible, only exposed connections are Grounds,
all
are secure, no other visible connections...

Is there a fuse, or simply the Circuit Breaker??

I had a Craftsman that did that occasionally. Mine had a red reset button
on the motor. It always looked the same but when it did reset it would
click. Sometimes I had to wait a few hours for the reset switch to cool
down before it would reset.
But since the motor was working when you turned it off it sound more like a
short. Use a volt meter and narrow down the problem.

Patriarch

"pray4surf" wrote in
news
[...]

Switch clogged with sawdust, precluding connection? Power disconnect,
disassemble, blow out with compressed air, reassemble. Sometimes works,
and the price is right.

Or it could be something else. What does the digital multimeter tell
you? (These are relatively cheap diagnostic tools which should be in
everyone's kit.)

Good luck. Unless you wanted to buy a new saw anyway.

Patriarch

Kim

Could be internal broken wire in the power cord. Usually at plug or at the
strain relieve end. Sometimes you could wiggle the cord at either end and
motor would start momentary.

Power safety interlock key on start button removed?

Best check with volt/ohm meter.

Bernoulli

Better to vacuum than 90psi. Usual problem with later model Craftsman
engines is crud between the points in the start circuit. 90psi
exacerbates the problem. Open clean cose.

Richard Cline

I used to have a saw that would occasionally refuse to start. It was
sawdust geeting into the motor and clogging the centrifugal switch that
powered the starter windings. You could hear the motor hum but it just
wouldn't start moving. Sometmes I would just take a stick and try to
get the blade spinning and the motor would take off. It took a couple
hours to disassemble the motor to clean the inside.

I doubt that this is the problem described here.

Dick
aaa

Well maybe when you unplugged it the connection to the prong that plugs into
the cord broke. Being internal it would look ok on the outside. Like the
other guys said, voltmeter time. Turn the saw on and check for continuity to
ground on each prong.
"pray4surf" wrote in message
news
Craftsman - Model 137.248830 - 3.0 HP

Not the best (by a long shot) But mine...

Used it today to rip and crosscut (with sled)... Finished up a crosscut,
turned the switch off. Once blade stopped spinning, removed the work and
the sled.

Unplugged from power supply to use the CMS... Went back a little later,
plugged the unit back into the power supply, flipped the switch...

Nothing.
Test power supply, other tools run fine....

Jim

My vote goes with sawdust in the switch because it just happened to me
on my lathe a month ago.

LRod

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 08:09:18 GMT, "aaa" zoro @ excite.com wrote:

Well maybe when you unplugged it the connection to the prong that plugs into
the cord broke. Being internal it would look ok on the outside. Like the
other guys said, voltmeter time. Turn the saw on and check for continuity to
ground on each prong.

Yikes. I don't want to get all semantical here, but someone reading
that could toast their meter. Check for continuity with the saw OFF.
Check the voltage with the saw ON.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Jim

"pray4surf" wrote in message
news
[...]

Did you recycle the master circuit breaker? Most of the time, these things
don't look tripped, and you must manually reset them.
Jim

pray4surf

"pray4surf" wrote in message
news : Craftsman - Model 137.248830 - 3.0 HP
:
snipped prelim info - simply put - TS won't start..

Thanks to all...

Just got back from my real job, thanks for all the insight... Got my trusty
digital multimeter sitting on my lap.. And I'll get to work troubleshooting
the electrical. Looks a my initial focus will be in the start switch area...

I'll be back...

Rick

pray4surf

: I'll be back...

Warned you....

I really need to get handier with the multimeter...

Testing for AC volts:

thru power supply cord - 121 VAC
thru switch CB assy - Switch off - 2.2VAC
Switch on - 22.0VAC

Prognosis - bad Switch/CB ???

Not a lot accessible to test

Three wires coming to switch (power cord Hot/black, Neutral/white,
Ground/green, simple blade type connections. black and white terminate at
switch, green to chassis.

Three wires leaving switch to motor (black, white, green)

Switch CB Assy - neutral passes thru CB, black thru switch.

CB never 'popped' - replies include 'resetting/recycling' CB, but how is
that possible if I can't get 'it' to pop ??

Both switch and CB appear to be sealed units, was a lot of sawdust
(surprised me) within the plastic housing (two screws to remove)...

It's getting dark, I'll read up on use of multimeter... 'checking continuity
/ checking for voltage' etc...

We can eliminate motor 'dead spot', I've spun the arbor by hand..
No motor hum with power on.
Abstained from compressed air, but have vacuumed.
No visible/tactile evidence of a reset button on the motor itself. This is a
fairly new unit (less than 2 years old)..

Plus - Free advice on the internet - isn't this a great place :-)

Rick

pray4surf

Problem solved...

No conductivity with switch in on position. Removed switch, noticed carbon
buildup on contacts, cleaned contacts, reinstalled switch - tested ok.
plugged in saw to electrical source and started motor...

Reassembled and returned to service...

Thanks again to all responses...

Rick

pray4surf

Replace Conductivity with Continuity...

Rick

--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet
"pray4surf" wrote in message
m...
: Problem solved...
:
: No conductivity with switch in on position. Removed switch, noticed carbon
: buildup on contacts, cleaned contacts, reinstalled switch - tested ok.
: plugged in saw to electrical source and started motor...
:
: Reassembled and returned to service...
:
: Thanks again to all responses...
:
: Rick
:
:

LRod

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:28:46 GMT, "aaa" zoro @ excite.com wrote:

Nope saw On but since you are checking the continuity of the cord end it
isn't plugged into a power source. Continuity of the saw only.

Ah. "Saw unplugged" is a significant point, and an entirely different
testing modality.

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 08:09:18 GMT, "aaa" zoro @ excite.com wrote:

Well maybe when you unplugged it the connection to the prong that plugs

into
the cord broke. Being internal it would look ok on the outside. Like the
other guys said, voltmeter time. Turn the saw on and check for continuity

ground on each prong.

Yikes. I don't want to get all semantical here, but someone reading
that could toast their meter. Check for continuity with the saw OFF.
Check the voltage with the saw ON.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Boots

could be the start/run switch is not going from run to start
position. Some times the little springs that pull it back to
the start position get weak or break??
"pray4surf" wrote in message
om...

[...]

vgjuarez

The switch is bad. I bypassed the switch and the motor worked. I
replaced the switch with a toggle switch from Radio Shack. just pull
the wire ends off and plug them into the toggle switch. Piece of cake.

pray4surf Wrote:
[...]

Phil Anderson

Try taking the switch apart and blow it out with compressed air. It has
worked for me on numerous occasions.

Best Regards, Phil

pray4surf Wrote:
Craftsman - Model 137.248830 - 3.0 HP

Not the best (by a long shot) But mine...

Used it today to rip and crosscut (with sled)... Finished up a
crosscut,
turned the switch off.

snip Went back a little
later,
plugged the unit back into the power supply, flipped the switch...
Nothing.
Test power supply, other tools run fine....

Rob Sokes

Hey stranger

Drop me a line on the side (rcmr at telus dot net)

Not here too much any more...signal to noise ratio is out of whack

Rob

http://www.robswoodworking.com