Ron Stitt

Default Kinda OT question

We have a chain carving of a bear. Its about 4' tall and about 2-3' around
made out of I don't know what kind of log? Anyway, it sets outside but on a
porch so it don't get wet but it does get some sun. It is starting to crack
in several places like the log is really drying out. We live in Florida
where the humidity is not low. Any recommendations on what kind of finish to
stop the cracking. Its real rough so I don't think something could be
brushed on. Is there some kind of oil that would soak in and protect the
beast (bear)?

Thanks Ron

"If it isn't broke, fix it until it is"

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:39:28 -0500, the inscrutable "Ron Stitt"
spake:

We have a chain carving of a bear. Its about 4' tall and about 2-3' around
made out of I don't know what kind of log? Anyway, it sets outside but on a
porch so it don't get wet but it does get some sun. It is starting to crack
in several places like the log is really drying out. We live in Florida
where the humidity is not low. Any recommendations on what kind of finish to
stop the cracking. Its real rough so I don't think something could be
brushed on. Is there some kind of oil that would soak in and protect the
beast (bear)?

Look for some Polyethylene Glycol (PEG). It might slow the drying, but
craking happens if the core isn't bored out so the wood can shrink as
it dries out.

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming
Pounds on Wood

"Ron Stitt" wrote in message
news:1110148853.39dabde439fececd35ade73d635c2119@t eranews...
We have a chain carving of a bear. Its about 4' tall and about 2-3'

around
made out of I don't know what kind of log? Anyway, it sets outside but on

porch so it don't get wet but it does get some sun. It is starting to

crack
in several places like the log is really drying out. We live in Florida
where the humidity is not low. Any recommendations on what kind of finish

stop the cracking. Its real rough so I don't think something could be
brushed on. Is there some kind of oil that would soak in and protect the
beast (bear)?

Thanks Ron

"If it isn't broke, fix it until it is"

Like Larry said, cracking/checking is going to happen to logs in the round.
Hopefully that is a look you can learn to like. I would not bother trying
to slow the cracking. What you want is to preserve the color and weathering
as much as you can. I would get some Thomsons Waterseal or similar, put it
in a plastic spray bottle, and spray the carving down twice a year. Treat
it like deck material.

--
********
Bill Pounds

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM