Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
julvr

Default Thickness Sander

I am making a coffee table who's top is composed of small glued up
pieces of wood. Unfortunately, all the wood is slightly different
thicknesses (off by as much as 1/16 of an inch). I wanted a method
of ensuring that the final table top is perfectly smooth. I was
thinking of building a really big thickness sander.

The concept is to use a 22" piece of PVC piping, contact cement some
sand paper to it, and spin it exactly 3/4" above a surface, and pass
the pre-assembled top through it on a slight (15 degree) angle
through it.

Having never built a thickness sander before, I would like to hear any
suggestions anyone might have, or if anyone thinks this is a bad idea,
I'd like to hear that as well. (I'm a bit concerned that the heat
from the sanding might effect the pvc or contact cement for
example).

Thanks,

John