Doug Miller

Default Performax thickness sander attachment for RAS?

Just ran across this at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.
com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000225QL/104-2043789-1119967?v=glance

Has anybody here ever used one of these? I kinda wonder about the accuracy,
particularly the rigidity of the setup. The price is sure attractive, though,
compared to a grand for a dedicated sander that size... Comments, anyone?

Leslie Gossett

I have been keeping an eye on that thing too. I have a RAS, but was thinking
maybe I could build or buy something in surplus that will adjust the height
instead of messing around with the RAS. I think the dedicated sander is way
over priced for what it is and I refuse to buy one. But, I have had this
thing in and out of my Amazon shopping cart many times. Someday I will get
it. Right now I have a new lathe in the crate to deal with!

Leslie

--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Just ran across this at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.
com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000225QL/104-2043789-1119967?v=glance

Has anybody here ever used one of these? I kinda wonder about the

accuracy,
particularly the rigidity of the setup. The price is sure attractive,

though,
compared to a grand for a dedicated sander that size... Comments, anyone?

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for

Miss America?

Doug Miller

In article , wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:23:17 GMT,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

Doug,

If you are still looking for that Performax thickness sander attachment for
RAS,
it's now your chance, currently biding $30 at Ebay. I would have bid for it, if
I had missed a drum sander similar to Performax 16/32 last week.

Good luck, hope you win it. :-)

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I'll pass on this one, though: it doesn't
seem to have the drive rollers, it's not real clear from the photograph just
how much of the guard is included, and there doesn't seem to be a dust port.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...552122 74&rd=
1

Just ran across this at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.
com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000225QL/104-2043789-1119967?v=glance

Has anybody here ever used one of these? I kinda wonder about the accuracy,
particularly the rigidity of the setup. The price is sure attractive, though,
compared to a grand for a dedicated sander that size... Comments, anyone?

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Test Tickle wrote:

I have the same model, inherited from my father-in-law after he
passed. By the drive rollers, do you mean the conveyor belt that the
stock rides on?

Right, that's what I meant.

If so, I have that, but it was definitely an
aftermarket item that you might still be able to order from Performax.

Hmmm. You can't tell that too easily from Amazon's page...

I definitely wouldn't use a sander without it.

Neither would I.

Or, by rollers, do you
mean the small metal rollers that ride above the stock, on either side
of the drum? If so, the early models didn't have them, but mine works
just fine without them. As for a dust port, it also didn't have one
originally, but my father-in-law cut one into the plastic shroud, and
it works fine. I would absolutlely not use a drum sander without a
dust collector hookup.

Same here. I have no choice, actually, since my shop is in the basement.

--
Regards,