Todd Fatheree

"julvr" wrote in message
I am making a coffee table who's top is composed of small glued up
pieces of wood. Unfortunately, all the wood is slightly different
thicknesses (off by as much as 1/16 of an inch). I wanted a method
of ensuring that the final table top is perfectly smooth. I was
thinking of building a really big thickness sander.

The concept is to use a 22" piece of PVC piping, contact cement some
sand paper to it, and spin it exactly 3/4" above a surface, and pass
the pre-assembled top through it on a slight (15 degree) angle
through it.

Having never built a thickness sander before, I would like to hear any
suggestions anyone might have, or if anyone thinks this is a bad idea,
I'd like to hear that as well. (I'm a bit concerned that the heat
from the sanding might effect the pvc or contact cement for
example).

Thanks,

John

IMHO, unless you plan to do a LOT of thickness sanding, I'd check into
renting time on one. My local hardwood supplier will sand anything up to
30" wide (supposedly only if you bought the lumber there, but I'm pretty
sure they don't have RID tags in lumber yet). I needed both sides of a
padauk table sanded recently and I think it cost me $12. I'll do that all
day long and twice on Sunday before I buy or make one.

todd