John Moorhead

John -

First off, this is familiar turf.... Do an archive search or DAGS - this HAS
been done.

That being said, I don't think that PVC is going to work as your sanding
drum arbor. First, it isn't sturdy enough to give you a flat surface,
second, I'll bet it'd warp with the heat generated from the process. Third,
if you're surfacing a plane 22" wide you're either going to have 1) a rocket
as the work is grabbed and shot to the other side of the shop or 2) a rocket
as the material is kicked back against your soft, white underbelly. So,
unless you have some means of preventing kickback or have a power feeder
laying about, this is a very real safety concern...

If having to sand such a surface is a one time deal, or only rarely, you may
well just be better off taking the work to a cabinet shop and letting them
run it through THEIR drum sander. I guarantee you won't find a cheaper
method, and the results will be far better.

Barring that, this might be a good time for you to invest in a belt sander
and surfacing platen, and learn to use them.

I have a Delta DS, and love it, but trying to take off anything more than a
whisper of material at a time will make it stall out. I've don't know that
other small drum sanders are any different, it's just the nature of the
beast.

HTH,

John
"julvr" wrote in message
I am making a coffee table who's top is composed of small glued up
pieces of wood. Unfortunately, all the wood is slightly different
thicknesses (off by as much as 1/16 of an inch). I wanted a method
of ensuring that the final table top is perfectly smooth. I was
thinking of building a really big thickness sander.

The concept is to use a 22" piece of PVC piping, contact cement some
sand paper to it, and spin it exactly 3/4" above a surface, and pass
the pre-assembled top through it on a slight (15 degree) angle
through it.

Having never built a thickness sander before, I would like to hear any
suggestions anyone might have, or if anyone thinks this is a bad idea,
I'd like to hear that as well. (I'm a bit concerned that the heat
from the sanding might effect the pvc or contact cement for
example).

Thanks,

John