CW

Default Lee Valley firmer gouges

Anybody used these? Are they any good? Your input would be appreciated.

AAvK

Anybody used these? Are they any good? Your input would be appreciated.

They are chrome vanadium so I would reject them. That is a cheaper "gummy"
steel that cannot take a seriously sharp edge when sharpening, CV takes a long
time to sharpen as it wears down, that's why they are so cheap. Gouges are also
harder to sharpen than flat chisels unless you have a $400 electric wheel machine
such as a Tormek and another bunch of money invested in the accessories that
sharpen gouges, so it's an important point.

A great quality steel are Stubai made in Austria, I have their bench chisels. They
easily take and keep a seriously sharp edge. "Firmer" means exactly that with
chisels, thicker blades. http://www.diefenbacher.com/ sells them and has an
honest review that I agree with. Stubai are also a lot cheaper than Two Cherries.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

CW

Thanks for the comments. The chrome vanadium kind of bothered me as I have
had knives made of this and was not overly impressed. Sharpening is not a
problem, I can sharpen anything but if they won't take on a good edge I
don't want to bother.
Thanks for the link. Looks like they have what I'm looking for.