B Man

Default Lee Valley Magnetic Tool Bars

My wife bought me a magnetic tool bar from Lee Valley (99k45.01) for
Christmas. I'm not sure why - she thought it was something I could use.
I've used magnetic tool holders before and was never impressed.

This one is different.

This sucker has a lot of strength. I mounted it on the wall by the lathe,
and filled it's 13" span with my longer lathe gouges. I was amazed - not
only did it hold them, but it held them quite firmly - no slipping, etc. I
had 8 long gouges, plus some lathe wrenches hanging off this thing and it
held!!

I went out and bought 3 more. I now have all my lathe gouges mounted right
by my lathe for easy access.

These things are great. I'm going to pick up about 10 more and mount a
pile of hand tools around the shop.

Thanks for the quality item !!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

mp

This sucker has a lot of strength.

Yeah, I was surprised. I use one to hang frequently used screwdrivers and
pliers, and I find it's a bit too strong. Probably better suited for heavier
tools.

George

"B Man" wrote in message
My wife bought me a magnetic tool bar from Lee Valley (99k45.01) for
Christmas. I'm not sure why - she thought it was something I could use.
I've used magnetic tool holders before and was never impressed.

This one is different.

This sucker has a lot of strength. I mounted it on the wall by the lathe,
and filled it's 13" span with my longer lathe gouges. I was amazed - not
only did it hold them, but it held them quite firmly - no slipping, etc.

had 8 long gouges, plus some lathe wrenches hanging off this thing and it
held!!

I went out and bought 3 more. I now have all my lathe gouges mounted

right
by my lathe for easy access.

There's a substantial group of turners who say magnetized tools interfere
with their ability to finesse a tool on an iron rest.

I never could understand why, but I have had my lathe tools, and a few
others mounted on magnetic bars for years.

Never Enough Money

If you look on page 12 of this issue of Fine Woodworking (March/April
2005, Issue # 176) you'll see how I used those magnetic strips. I won
$100 and two Adria dovetail saws for the idea!

TaskMule

"George" george@least wrote in message

"B Man" wrote in message
[...]

I used to have ,magnetic tool holders, the only problem was that my
screwdrivers and two chisels became magnetized. Now often a magnetized
screwdriver is handy, but not when you don't want it to be. Also when
sharpening the chisels the metal removed sticks to the chisel.

I removed the magnets from the tool holder and use them for fridge magnets.

igor

On 18 Feb 2005 06:22:31 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

If you look on page 12 of this issue of Fine Woodworking (March/April
2005, Issue # 176) you'll see how I used those magnetic strips. I won
$100 and two Adria dovetail saws for the idea!

Clearly your non de rec is accurate. You suck.
mac davis

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:00:41 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"B Man" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I had sort of a similar problem...
My lathe chisels are hung on a long metal drawer slide with rare earth magnets
on it, that extends out from a parts cart... after a week or so, I found that
they were sticking to each other and to anything metal that they got near..

I'm picking up a demagnetizer at OSH today.. a friend said that a few passes
will solve my problem, and I'll invest 5 or 6 bucks to find out..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
TeamCasa

I'm picking up a demagnetizer at OSH today.. a friend said that a few
passes
will solve my problem, and I'll invest 5 or 6 bucks to find out..

A quick smack or two with a hammer will demagnetize it

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Michael Daly

On 18-Feb-2005, igor wrote:

non de rec

His what?

Mike
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:10:53 GMT, Michael Daly wrote:
On 18-Feb-2005, igor wrote:

non de rec

His what?

Name as used in the Wreck, I'd say?

Charles Spitzer

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 18-Feb-2005, igor wrote:

non de rec

His what?

Mike

typo. nom de rec

igor

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:29:26 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 18-Feb-2005, igor wrote:

non de rec

His what?

Mike

typo. nom de rec

My half-decent joke taken down by a tyop. Thanks.

AAvK

There's a substantial group of turners who say magnetized tools interfere
with their ability to finesse a tool on an iron rest.

I never could understand why, but I have had my lathe tools, and a few
others mounted on magnetic bars for years.

Do you think an electrical handheld tape head demagnetizer
would work?

I have an old one still sealed in it's original package from radio
shack, and two magnetic tool bars from rockler, I wonder if it
would work. Gonna try it sometime.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

A quick smack or two with a hammer will demagnetize it

Dave

Yeah right, that'll be the day I mar and dent my fine chisels to demag them...!
NOPE!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

TeamCasa

Alex,
You don't have to beat it on the cutting edge. BTW, aren't some chisles
designed to struck with a hammer? I know I have several.

Dave

"AAvK" wrote in message

A quick smack or two with a hammer will demagnetize it

Dave

Yeah right, that'll be the day I mar and dent my fine chisels to demag
them...!
NOPE!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

http://www.usenet.com
Nova

George wrote:

There's a substantial group of turners who say magnetized tools interfere
with their ability to finesse a tool on an iron rest.

Yep. I'll use any excuse I can get.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Nova wrote:
There's a substantial group of turners who say magnetized tools interfere
with their ability to finesse a tool on an iron rest.

Yep. I'll use any excuse I can get.

Obviously, so will they. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Leon

"TaskMule" wrote in message
I used to have ,magnetic tool holders, the only problem was that my
screwdrivers and two chisels became magnetized. Now often a magnetized
screwdriver is handy, but not when you don't want it to be. Also when
sharpening the chisels the metal removed sticks to the chisel.

I removed the magnets from the tool holder and use them for fridge
magnets.

You know to demagnetize a screw driver or other tool you simply rub the tool
along the magnet a couple of strokes. To magnetize that tool simply rub the
too in the opposite direction a couple of strokes.

Leon

"mac davis" wrote in message I had sort
of a similar problem...
My lathe chisels are hung on a long metal drawer slide with rare earth
magnets
on it, that extends out from a parts cart... after a week or so, I found
that
they were sticking to each other and to anything metal that they got
near..

I'm picking up a demagnetizer at OSH today.. a friend said that a few
passes
will solve my problem, and I'll invest 5 or 6 bucks to find out..

Before buying the demagnetizer rub the magnet along the tool a few times to
demagnetize it. Rubbing a magnet along a tool will magnetize it and rubbing
in the opposite direction will demagnetize it.

Never Enough Money

Never dreamed I'd get in! I just lusted after the prize so much, I
submitted something. You should submit something, too. Good luck!

AAvK

I've had one in my toolbox for years. My toools get magnitized from use over
time (I'm a machinist). The tape demagnitizer takes care of it.

Okay yeah... will try it out. I took a look at it, it is a Tusa brand
from Signal electronics, still sealed. Thanks C-dubbya!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Fly-by-Night CC

In article , "George" george@least
wrote:

There's a substantial group of turners who say magnetized tools interfere
with their ability to finesse a tool on an iron rest.

I never could understand why, but I have had my lathe tools, and a few
others mounted on magnetic bars for years.

I don't use a magnetized holder yet all my turning tools are magnetized.
I can feel them pull to the tool rest, but other than that I have no
problems with the magnetism.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Glen

Doug Warner wrote:

Hmm, this reminds me of a failed computer accessory of some years ago.
The magnetic diskette storage bar..

This reminds me . . .
Quite a few years back (remember the big, black floppies that were
actually floppy?) I was teaching an intro computer class for the college
of education (teachers to be). The students had to save their work on a
floppy and bring it in for evaluation. This one student was all a
fluster because there was nothing readable on his disk and asked if I
could help him retrieve his data. I couldn't. I tried to find out what
happened and finally learned. So he wouldn't forget to bring his floppy
to class he hung it on his refrigerator with a magnet. That'll do it!

Glen

George

"AAvK" wrote in message
There's a substantial group of turners who say magnetized tools

interfere
with their ability to finesse a tool on an iron rest.

I never could understand why, but I have had my lathe tools, and a few
others mounted on magnetic bars for years.

Do you think an electrical handheld tape head demagnetizer
would work?

I have an old one still sealed in it's original package from radio
shack, and two magnetic tool bars from rockler, I wonder if it
would work. Gonna try it sometime.

Might, but the right-angle business works if you care to use it.

Personally, I've always felt the proper place for the lathe tools when in
use was on the rest. Magnetic attraction helps keep 'em there.

I've been "turning for tuition" through two and three quarters bachelors'
degrees, and on those rare occasions where I put the tools back where they
belong instead of hiding them as a trap for unwary fingers in the shavings,
they go on the magnetic bars.

Norman D. Crow

"AAvK" wrote in message

I've had one in my toolbox for years. My toools get magnitized from use

over
time (I'm a machinist). The tape demagnitizer takes care of it.

Okay yeah... will try it out. I took a look at it, it is a Tusa brand
from Signal electronics, still sealed. Thanks C-dubbya!

'Nother real easy magnetizer/demagnetizer . . . Do you own a soldering gun?
I mean a *real* soldering "gun", like a Weller or Wen, not one of those
fakey irons with a pistol grip.

To magnetize, put the tool(screwdriver, chisel, etc.) inside the tip, turn
the gun on and then off, voila', instant magnet.(May have to try it a time
or two, depending on the state of the magnetic field when you release the
trigger).

To demagnetize, turn the gun on, slowly pass the tool through the same area,
then turn the gun off AFTER removing the tool.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:56:37 GMT, the inscrutable igor
spake:

wrote:

typo. nom de rec

My half-decent joke taken down by a tyop. Thanks.

And then some. Try "nom de Wreck" next time, wot?

---
www.diversify.com Complete Website Development
mac davis

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:13:11 -0800, "TeamCasa" wrote:

I'm picking up a demagnetizer at OSH today.. a friend said that a few
passes
will solve my problem, and I'll invest 5 or 6 bucks to find out..

A quick smack or two with a hammer will demagnetize it

Dave

Dave.. you smack your lathe chisels with a hammer?? OUCH!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:59:57 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message I had sort
of a similar problem...
My lathe chisels are hung on a long metal drawer slide with rare earth
magnets
on it, that extends out from a parts cart... after a week or so, I found
that
they were sticking to each other and to anything metal that they got
near..

I'm picking up a demagnetizer at OSH today.. a friend said that a few
passes
will solve my problem, and I'll invest 5 or 6 bucks to find out..

Before buying the demagnetizer rub the magnet along the tool a few times to
demagnetize it. Rubbing a magnet along a tool will magnetize it and rubbing
in the opposite direction will demagnetize it.

damn!
I was wondering why it was advertised as a "magnetizer/de-magnetiger...

I have a big bar magnet that I can use... thanks, Leon!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:17:52 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:
snip
I've been "turning for tuition" through two and three quarters bachelors'
degrees, and on those rare occasions where I put the tools back where they
belong instead of hiding them as a trap for unwary fingers in the shavings,
they go on the magnetic bars.

thanks, George.. you've made me feel mush better..
I thought it was just me that has a place for everything and almost nothing in
it's place.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
TeamCasa

Dave.. you smack your lathe chisels with a hammer?? OUCH!

mac

Nope, I don't store them on a magnet. They rest comfortably in a drawer just
ready to serve!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
mac davis

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:20:58 -0800, "TeamCasa" wrote:

Dave.. you smack your lathe chisels with a hammer?? OUCH!

mac

Nope, I don't store them on a magnet. They rest comfortably in a drawer just
ready to serve!

Dave

I tried that for a while... had this problem, especially when turning green
stuff, that the drawer filled up with shavings and crap.. yuk!
I'm way to unorganized to close the drawer each chisel change, so hanging them
works.. (sorta)