stoutman

Default Spinning the BIG BITS

Just bought myself the Porter Cable 3.25hp (7518) BEAST.

I always felt limited before with my cheapo crapsman router. Now I can spin
the big bits. I would like to be able to spin some of thise wide diameter
raised panel bits. The guy at Rockler talked me into the aluminum base
plate for the router, but the max opening is only 2.25". Some raised panel
bits are over 3" in diameter. Do they sell base plates that will hold the
porter cable beast with a wide opening to accomodate wide raised panel bits?

Thanks

what a router!!!The best IMHO. Good Luck!
Mike

Sam the Cat

"stoutman" wrote in message
Just bought myself the Porter Cable 3.25hp (7518) BEAST.

I always felt limited before with my cheapo crapsman router. Now I can

spin
the big bits. I would like to be able to spin some of thise wide diameter
raised panel bits. The guy at Rockler talked me into the aluminum base
plate for the router, but the max opening is only 2.25". Some raised

panel
bits are over 3" in diameter. Do they sell base plates that will hold the
porter cable beast with a wide opening to accomodate wide raised panel

bits?

Thanks

Stoutman -- I have the smae router and I use it in a PRL -- with the big
bits go without a ring -- the whole is big enough at that point. Remember
to slow the rotation rate of the router on the big bit -- have fun

Greg O

"stoutman" wrote in message
Just bought myself the Porter Cable 3.25hp (7518) BEAST.

I always felt limited before with my cheapo crapsman router. Now I can
spin the big bits. I would like to be able to spin some of thise wide
diameter raised panel bits. The guy at Rockler talked me into the
aluminum base plate for the router, but the max opening is only 2.25".
Some raised panel bits are over 3" in diameter. Do they sell base plates
that will hold the porter cable beast with a wide opening to accomodate
wide raised panel bits?

Thanks

It does not answer your question, but I have yet to buy a plate for my
table. I bought a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate and cut out my own plates.
For my honking 3-1/4" raised panel bit I cut the hole with a holesaw.
I have two plates with about $20 plus some shop time invested.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg O" wrote in message
Thanks

It does not answer your question, but I have yet to buy a plate for my
table. I bought a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate and cut out my own plates.
For my honking 3-1/4" raised panel bit I cut the hole with a holesaw.
I have two plates with about $20 plus some shop time invested.
Greg

It does not answer the question, but is a very cost effective alternative to
store bought.

If you don't have the means to do the machining, you can buy Benchdog with
larger holes and it will leave a larger hole in your wallet.

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...5989_28522+812

Phisherman

The PC 7518 router can handle bits up to 3.5" diameter. You may need
to remove the sub base portion. Decent router table inserts usually
have removable rings to accommodate larger bits. Large bits can be
very dangerous if used improperly. Read the manual, pay attention to
correct rpm, and work safely.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:39:26 GMT, "stoutman" wrote:

Just bought myself the Porter Cable 3.25hp (7518) BEAST.

I always felt limited before with my cheapo crapsman router. Now I can spin
the big bits. I would like to be able to spin some of thise wide diameter
raised panel bits. The guy at Rockler talked me into the aluminum base
plate for the router, but the max opening is only 2.25". Some raised panel
bits are over 3" in diameter. Do they sell base plates that will hold the
porter cable beast with a wide opening to accomodate wide raised panel bits?

Thanks

Fly-by-Night CC

Damn, talk about a let down... even rereading it several times, I coulda
swore that second B was a T.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutman
Just bought myself the Porter Cable 3.25hp (7518) BEAST.

I always felt limited before with my cheapo crapsman router. Now I can spin
the big bits. I would like to be able to spin some of thise wide diameter
raised panel bits. The guy at Rockler talked me into the aluminum base
plate for the router, but the max opening is only 2.25". Some raised panel
bits are over 3" in diameter. Do they sell base plates that will hold the
porter cable beast with a wide opening to accomodate wide raised panel bits?

Thanks
While I'm sure they're available, have you looked into vertical raised panel bits? Tom
__________________
Work at your leisure!
Lobby Dosser

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Damn, talk about a let down... even rereading it several times, I coulda
swore that second B was a T.

Glad it wasn't just me! Must be something in the water in Oregon.

LRod

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:05:15 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Damn, talk about a let down... even rereading it several times, I coulda
swore that second B was a T.

Glad it wasn't just me! Must be something in the water in Oregon.

Well, it's a problem with Florida's water, too, then.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net