Vaughn

Default question about orbit sander disks

I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small jobs) with
h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing. I could just buy
more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any ideas how I can make
this combination play nice together?

Thanks!

Vaughn

Leon

"Vaughn" wrote in message
I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small jobs)
with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing. I could
just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any ideas how I
can make this combination play nice together?

With many sanders you can change out the pad. I can use H & L or PSA If I
chose to. I would know however if B&D offers the PSA pad. Can you exchange
the paper?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vaughn" wrote in message
I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small jobs)
with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing. I could
just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any ideas how I
can make this combination play nice together?

Won't the dealer take them back? Return them and get the right ones is the
easiest method. Or try selling them either here or eBay.

Patriarch

"Vaughn" wrote in
:

I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small
jobs) with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing.
I could just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any
ideas how I can make this combination play nice together?

Thanks!

Vaughn

I don't have a solution for you on how to get the PSA affixed to a H&L
sander, but...

600 & 1000 are grits I usually associate with the last rounds of a wood
finishing process. Which I generally do by hand. YMMV.

Stick them to a hand sanding block?

Patriarch
Vaughn

I could return everything, I just wanted to get it done this weekend if
possible and don't want to wait (bought the disks online). I'm pretty
resourceful so I'm sure I'll figure something out ;-)

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Vaughn" wrote in message
I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small jobs)
with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing. I could
just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any ideas how I
can make this combination play nice together?

Won't the dealer take them back? Return them and get the right ones is
the easiest method. Or try selling them either here or eBay.

Vaughn

Well then share it brother! I use 600 and 1000 to get started - knock down
the high stuff and get started on the polishing - then go to the 1200, 1500
and 2000 to get rid of all the sanding marks, I do that all by hand - lot of
work! After that I use the 3M polishing compounds so for my projects so 600
and 1000 are not the last rounds in my case. I'm finishing drums (acoustic
drums) so they take much wear and tear and a nice glassy finish is my goal.
So what's your solution? I promise to do the finish sanding by hand ;-). I
got this sander because the first sandings are killing my wrists, even with
a sanding block.

Thanks,

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Vaughn" wrote in
:

I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small
jobs) with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing.
I could just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any
ideas how I can make this combination play nice together?

Thanks!

Vaughn

I don't have a solution for you on how to get the PSA affixed to a H&L
sander, but...

600 & 1000 are grits I usually associate with the last rounds of a wood
finishing process. Which I generally do by hand. YMMV.

Stick them to a hand sanding block?

Patriarch

Vaughn

I don't think this one (cheap is the key here) has a PSA pad, but I'm going
to try to find one. The sander I wanted was out of stock and came with
both...dang! I messed up on my order, meant to buy H&L.

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Vaughn" wrote in message
I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small jobs)
with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing. I could
just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any ideas how I
can make this combination play nice together?

With many sanders you can change out the pad. I can use H & L or PSA If
I chose to. I would know however if B&D offers the PSA pad. Can you
exchange the paper?

Vaughn

I meant to say that the drums DON'T take much wear and tear.

"Vaughn" wrote in message
Well then share it brother! I use 600 and 1000 to get started - knock
down the high stuff and get started on the polishing - then go to the
1200, 1500 and 2000 to get rid of all the sanding marks, I do that all by
hand - lot of work! After that I use the 3M polishing compounds so for my
projects so 600 and 1000 are not the last rounds in my case. I'm
finishing drums (acoustic drums) so they take much wear and tear and a
nice glassy finish is my goal. So what's your solution? I promise to do
the finish sanding by hand ;-). I got this sander because the first
sandings are killing my wrists, even with a sanding block.

Thanks,

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Vaughn" wrote in
:

I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small
jobs) with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing.
I could just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any
ideas how I can make this combination play nice together?

Thanks!

Vaughn

I don't have a solution for you on how to get the PSA affixed to a H&L
sander, but...

600 & 1000 are grits I usually associate with the last rounds of a wood
finishing process. Which I generally do by hand. YMMV.

Stick them to a hand sanding block?

Patriarch

Joe C.

Vaughn,

Don't have a solution for you, but when you finish your next set, post some
pics on ABPW. Don't see many drum projects around here.....

Joe

"Vaughn" wrote in message
Well then share it brother! I use 600 and 1000 to get started - knock
down the high stuff and get started on the polishing - then go to the
1200, 1500 and 2000 to get rid of all the sanding marks, I do that all

by
hand - lot of work! After that I use the 3M polishing compounds so for

my
projects so 600 and 1000 are not the last rounds in my case. I'm
finishing drums (acoustic drums) so they take much wear and tear and a
nice glassy finish is my goal. So what's your solution? I promise to do
the finish sanding by hand ;-). I got this sander because the first
sandings are killing my wrists, even with a sanding block.

Thanks,

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Vaughn" wrote in
:

I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small
jobs) with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing.
I could just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any
ideas how I can make this combination play nice together?

Thanks!

Vaughn

I don't have a solution for you on how to get the PSA affixed to a H&L
sander, but...

600 & 1000 are grits I usually associate with the last rounds of a wood
finishing process. Which I generally do by hand. YMMV.

Stick them to a hand sanding block?

Patriarch

Dave Hall

Buy a couple of the real fine Hook & Loop disks. The PSA disks should
stick to them and the the H&L disks go on your sander. This certainly
isn't the best way, but it works. I do this now and then with a PC 6"
ROS simply because I was given a bunch of PSA disks. It works OK as
long as the underlying H&L disk is finer than the PSA disk that is
actually being used. BTW I usually use the H&L disk first (or just
keep a well used one on hand) so that it is worn down which seems to
aid the PSA sticking to it.

Dave Hall

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:46:50 -0700, "Vaughn"
wrote:

I don't think this one (cheap is the key here) has a PSA pad, but I'm going
to try to find one. The sander I wanted was out of stock and came with
both...dang! I messed up on my order, meant to buy H&L.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Vaughn" wrote in message
I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small jobs)
with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing. I could
just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any ideas how I
can make this combination play nice together?

With many sanders you can change out the pad. I can use H & L or PSA If
I chose to. I would know however if B&D offers the PSA pad. Can you
exchange the paper?

Vaughn

well, didn't work. I mean what I was using the orbit sander for didn't work
so this whole discussion is moot. ;-)
thanks for the input, I'll have more questions!