Kevin Craig

Default Homier 8" jointer

Homier is hitting town this weekend with a truck sale. I saw their
flyer in our local paper, and the only thing that caught my eye was an
8" jointer (which they called a planer), with handwheels and enclosed
base, for $299.

Now, I've been to a couple of Homier shows, and I generally think of
them as Harbor Freight without such rigid quality control standards.
;-)

Has anyone seen one of these jointers at a Homier show? Any comments?

Kevin
toller

NO NO NO, don't even think of it.

Except for a screw driver I have never bought anything at Homier that didn't
break on the first use. (The screwdriver has held up okay.)

Sure $300 is a great price for an 8" jointer, but it is too much money to
spend on a huge gamble. The table will be so warped that nothing will ever
get flat on it. Something will break the first time you try it.

They do not compare with HF in any way. Harbor Freight is crude, but it is
not garbage like Homier.

But if you do buy it (and I have a sense you will) let us know how it works
out.

Bob G.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:33:18 -0600, Kevin Craig
wrote:

Homier is hitting town this weekend with a truck sale. I saw their
flyer in our local paper, and the only thing that caught my eye was an
8" jointer (which they called a planer), with handwheels and enclosed
base, for $299.

Now, I've been to a couple of Homier shows, and I generally think of
them as Harbor Freight without such rigid quality control standards.
;-)

Has anyone seen one of these jointers at a Homier show? Any comments?

Kevin

==============================
LOL.... They could be compared to HF with NO...absolutely NO quality
control....

I have only been to one of their shows...(a few months ago actually)
and I picked up my clip board as I entered walked around and looked at
table after table of pure CRAP...and walked out the door and replaced
my empty order shett still attached to the clip board...

I have seen junk before but the "stuff" on display honestly, and I
mean, this could not be rated that high.... I would not risk
getting a hernia carring a simple phillips head screw driver out of
that hall...

Bob Griffiths

TeamCasa

"Kevin Craig" Said:
Now, I've been to a couple of Homier shows, and I generally think of
them as Harbor Freight without such rigid quality control standards.
;-)

Homier is in the same quality range as HF. Pure trash. A printing a
picture of quality jointer would do a better job.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Kevin Craig

In article , toller
wrote:

NO NO NO, don't even think of it.

Except for a screw driver I have never bought anything at Homier that didn't
break on the first use. (The screwdriver has held up okay.)

I've bought some cast iron (skillets, dutch ovens) that have held up
fine. The underlever pellet gun was wasted money, though.

They also carry Ryobi remanufactured items, and some things you can't
get elsewhere, like the fence micropositioner for BT3xxx saws.

Sure $300 is a great price for an 8" jointer, but it is too much money to
spend on a huge gamble. The table will be so warped that nothing will ever
get flat on it. Something will break the first time you try it.

They do not compare with HF in any way. Harbor Freight is crude, but it is
not garbage like Homier.

But if you do buy it (and I have a sense you will) let us know how it works
out.

Actually, I won't. For starters, I'm broke. More important, I do my
best to avoid buying crap. I've become a firm believer in buying good
tools once, instead of buying junk repeatedly.

*However*... that frugality means that I also avoid paying more just to
have a famous name on comparable products. I'll probably go check this
jointer out and report back, just for edification of the group, and to
satisfy my own curiosity.

Kevin

Just got off the phone with Homier. They have a 6" jointer for $299,
but no 8" jointer at all. Must be a misprint in your newspaper. If
you DO fine one there, it would be interesting since it is WAY below
any price I ever saw an 8" jointer for--no matter what the condition
is.

Kevin Craig wrote:
Homier is hitting town this weekend with a truck sale. I saw their
flyer in our local paper, and the only thing that caught my eye was

an
8" jointer (which they called a planer), with handwheels and enclosed
base, for $299.

Now, I've been to a couple of Homier shows, and I generally think of
them as Harbor Freight without such rigid quality control standards.
;-)

Has anyone seen one of these jointers at a Homier show? Any comments?

Kevin

Phisherman

I havn't used Homier tools, but this sounds like a bad deal to me.
The truck leaves town with your money and is never seen again. A
joiner and planer are very different tools, although I have seen
machines that will do both.

wrote:

Homier is hitting town this weekend with a truck sale. I saw their
flyer in our local paper, and the only thing that caught my eye was an
8" jointer (which they called a planer), with handwheels and enclosed
base, for $299.

Now, I've been to a couple of Homier shows, and I generally think of
them as Harbor Freight without such rigid quality control standards.
;-)

Has anyone seen one of these jointers at a Homier show? Any comments?

Kevin

Larry Bud

Kevin Craig wrote:
Homier is hitting town this weekend with a truck sale. I saw their
flyer in our local paper, and the only thing that caught my eye was

an
8" jointer (which they called a planer), with handwheels and enclosed
base, for $299.

I don't think I'd ever buy a jointer from a company that calls it a
planer!

toller

I don't think I'd ever buy a jointer from a company that calls it a
planer!

The funny thing is I looked on their website for "jointers". They have only
a 4"...... a '4" biscuit jointer'.

I expect their buyers neither know nor care what they are buying.

Silvan

Bob G. wrote:

I have only been to one of their shows...(a few months ago actually)
and I picked up my clip board as I entered walked around and looked at
table after table of pure CRAP...and walked out the door and replaced
my empty order shett still attached to the clip board...

I have seen junk before but the "stuff" on display honestly, and I
mean, this could not be rated that high.... I would not risk
getting a hernia carring a simple phillips head screw driver out of
that hall...

Yup. I came away with absolutely nothing too. I've never seen so much
wasted metal in one place in my life.

(Well, maybe not. I guess the most wasted metal I've seen in my life is
when I went to look at the 611 and 1218 in their tomb in Roanoke. I don't
think those babies are ever going to roll again.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Trains, by god! I had no idea what you were talking about at first.

Someone must have bought one of these. Even with a substantial effort,
that is one hell of a price for an 8". No, not the trains, the jointer.