Larry Bud

Default Grizzly vs Freud Router Bits

I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly well
in my 2 1/4 hp router. I was browsing amazon for the corresponding
rail and Stile bits. Freud has them for $85, but Grizzly has those
bits PLUS another raised panel bit (a different profile than what I
have) for $60.

What would you get?

Larry Bud wrote:
I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly

well
in my 2 1/4 hp router. I was browsing amazon for the corresponding
rail and Stile bits. Freud has them for $85, but Grizzly has those
bits PLUS another raised panel bit (a different profile than what I
have) for $60.

What would you get?

Freud is very good professional quality..the Grizzly is low import
quality....you get what you pay for in the case of tooling....just
matters on how much you are going to use them....
Mike

toller

They're all from Taiwan.

Not true; the goods ones are from Taiwan (or Italy, or Israel, or
ocassionally the US).
The crap is from China. I don't know this, but I would bet Grizzly is from
China. But if all you need is crap, they are fine.

No Bob, I am sorry you are mistaken. Freud router bits are not made in
Taiwan. They are made in Italy.

Mike

Greg O

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly well
in my 2 1/4 hp router. I was browsing amazon for the corresponding
rail and Stile bits. Freud has them for $85, but Grizzly has those
bits PLUS another raised panel bit (a different profile than what I
have) for $60.

What would you get?

I have bought a few router bits from Grizzly and like them. but then I don't
do an extreme of woodworking either. For an occasional use router bit I
would not hesitate to get them from Grizzly. If you are planing on going
into production you may want to spend the extra money.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly well
in my 2 1/4 hp router. I was browsing amazon for the corresponding
rail and Stile bits. Freud has them for $85, but Grizzly has those
bits PLUS another raised panel bit (a different profile than what I
have) for $60.

What would you get?

Infinity www.infinitytools.com or Whiteside www.routerbits.com Freud is
in third place with many other good brands.

If I'm doing quality work, expensive materials, I'm not taking chances on an
unknown bit. I have some $5 bits from Woodcraft. I use them on non-critical
stuff and they work OK. If I'm going to make a raised panel door, no way.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:03:18 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

They're all from Taiwan.

All the Freud I see is Italian. Good stuff, although the router bits
are expensive.

I've heard that the sawblades come from the same factory as CMT.
Anyone know ?

TeamCasa

"Robatoy Said:"
Velepec, Dimar and Amana are 'very good professional quality'.
Freud is not bad.

As far as the imports are concerned, they could all be sold for 40 bucks
a box of 12. The rest depends on paint, finish and packaging.

I agree.
A project that I have worked hours on and spent good money on quality wood
is not worth screwing up with cheap tools.
Its not tool snobbery, its just makes sense to me.

Dave

PS: How can those who boo hoo Sears, shop at Harbor Freight and Grizzly?

http://www.usenet.com

Robatoy

In article , "TeamCasa"
wrote:

"Robatoy Said:"
Velepec, Dimar and Amana are 'very good professional quality'.
Freud is not bad.

As far as the imports are concerned, they could all be sold for 40 bucks
a box of 12. The rest depends on paint, finish and packaging.

I agree.
A project that I have worked hours on and spent good money on quality wood
is not worth screwing up with cheap tools.
Its not tool snobbery, its just makes sense to me.

Dave, all you need to do is put a large roman ogee on 12-feet of Corian
and have the bearing pop off just once! Thousand bucks in the ****ter.
It's not just bad carbide, it's lousy bearings as well.
These days, I protect myself by using a fence as well as bearings.
One day, I mic'd a few bits and went to the local bearing supplier. He
stocks a lot of brands. Once you get the ID right, you buy all the OD
sizes you need. I now rabbit in 1/16 increments... for like 3-5 dollars
for a sealed SKF bearing.......nothing to talk about. Watch those RPM
ratings.

Just as the bits aren't all created equal, neither are the guys that
sharpen them. The guys I'm using now have sharpened a flush trim bit
twice for me and I still see no reduction in diameter. All they have to
do is 'touch' the edge from the back. Some of the other clowns are,
like, GRINDING them or something.

PS: How can those who boo hoo Sears, shop at Harbor Freight and Grizzly?

LOL....That is an interesting point. Crap is crap, right?

0¿0

Rob----who thinks SKF bearings sound better if covered with green magic
marker..
Sweet Sawdust

I have both the Grizzly and Jasada bits in roundover, The Grizzly bits do
not always have the same shape as the Jasada. However I have never had the
Grizzly lose a bearing which I have had happen on Jasada. The Freud bits
have the same shape always, and have yet to lose a bearing. It took me a
while to notice when Jasada went belly up.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly well
in my 2 1/4 hp router. I was browsing amazon for the corresponding
rail and Stile bits. Freud has them for $85, but Grizzly has those
bits PLUS another raised panel bit (a different profile than what I
have) for $60.

What would you get?

Infinity www.infinitytools.com or Whiteside www.routerbits.com Freud is
in third place with many other good brands.

If I'm doing quality work, expensive materials, I'm not taking chances on

an
unknown bit. I have some $5 bits from Woodcraft. I use them on

non-critical
stuff and they work OK. If I'm going to make a raised panel door, no way.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

TheNewGuy

Larry,

It's from FWW #137, so late '98 (a given company's QC might certainly
have changed in the intervening years), but take a read anyway:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00045.asp

-Chris

Larry Bud wrote:
I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly

well
in my 2 1/4 hp router. I was browsing amazon for the corresponding
rail and Stile bits. Freud has them for $85, but Grizzly has those
bits PLUS another raised panel bit (a different profile than what I
have) for $60.

What would you get?

Slowhand

"Bob" wrote in message