Tim Douglass

Default Thought regarding DW735 planer

I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Robatoy

In article ,
Tim Douglass wrote:

I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

If push comes to shove you can always follow her around and play her
tunes she not that fond of? I mean alll day? Loud?

An aquintance of mine showed off his 735... quite a machine indeed.
A.M. Wood

Noticed the same thing about that planer. Nobody is offering any
specials. Even used on Ebay, and there are not going for a huge
discount over new.

I did however think this was worth sharing.

One person was offering these on Ebay indicating they purchased them on
some kind of closeout sale. I placed a bid and a day or so later
received an e-mail from someone indicating the seller was scamming
people. Within a day the items (this seller listed a few) were removed
by Ebay. Guess the message is be careful. It seems some of the Ebay
scammers are using this particular item as bait.

igor

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:11:13 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

I shopped price on one for a long time and I agree w/ your observation.
That being said, there were some sales at xmas and I snagged one for quite
a bit less at Amazon. Just a few days later the price went back up to
$499. Had the price not dropped, having read many reviews here and
elsewhere, I may have gotten the 734 DW planer and probably been happy with
it. BTW, Toolking has them reconditioned for $305, incl shipping.
Toolking also has a refurb 735 at $400, and I think it has full warranty.
HTH. -- Igor
Leon

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

IMHO the 2 speed thing is a gimmick on these smaller planers and I am
beginning to really dislike all the disposable blades. I think would do
for the older model with the 2 resharpenable knives.

DL

Tim Douglass wrote:
I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Tim,

Another option if you have a Woodcraft near you, they have 10% off
everything in the store days. Now that is not as good from a price
standpoint as the refurbished model, but you will be getting a brand new
one. I have a card from my Woodcraft for 10% off everything in the
store on February 24.

I personally don't mind the fact that a machine has been refurbished.
When refurbished you are guaranteed that a person has looked at your
specific machine and signed off on it being ok. Brand new one's come
off assembly lines and only get checked randomly. From my
understanding, most returns are from people that only want to use a
machine one time or decided they didn't need it, but since the box was
opened, it cannot be sold as new.

BTW, I upgraded to the 735 from a Delta 22-540 and it is work the entire
$499. This planer with it's dual speed and the 3 blades makes a huge
difference in the quality of cut. The dust collection works great as
well. I always had a problem with my Delta even with an aftermarket
dust collection option. I was able to put highly figured wood through
with no noticeable tearout. On my Delta, it would have ruined the wood.

David
DL

Leon wrote:
[...]

Leon,

The typical 2 speed, 2 blade planers I would agree, but with the DW735,
the number of cuts and speeds are significantly different, not to
mention the 3 knives. The results I have seen from other "inexpensive"
planers don't come close to the DW735.

David
Walt Conner

I have had a DW734 for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. I
wished I had waited for the DW735 until I started hearing others say the 2
speed was of little benefit. Being able to resharpen blades was one
consideration when I bought the DW734 also.

Walt Conner

has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it.

Nick Bozovich

So, here's an off the wall thought -

When I was looking for a planer last year, the Dewalt 735 also was the
object of my lust - however, I had been looking at the 15" Bridgewood and
Yorkcraft 15" also. I convinced myself that I didn't have enough shop space
or real need for a machine that size. I started looking at the DeWalt 735,
but being the cheap person that I am, I just couldn't get past that $499
price either.

I happened to stumble into HD one day and found a Ridgid 13" on sale for
like $199 - regularly $379, so on impulse, I bought it. I was on of the
"old" Ridgid's (manufactured by Emerson??? It was when they were switching
over to the Ryobi line - I can't remember). Anyway, it has done everything
I've needed it to do. It makes great cuts, and does a great job. I'd done
some research, and found that it was a "Top Value" on one of the WOOD Mag
survey's a couple of years ago.

NO question the DeWalt is the "Cadillac", and I'd love to have one, but for
the difference in price??? You may have a lot more WW experience than I do
(probably!), and maybe you're use is heavier than mine, but I'd ask myself
if I really need the top of the line - Would the Delta work? I also saw the
Ridgid model in HD the other day too, both for less than the DeWalt.

Just my $.02 -

Nick B.

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

DL

Tim Douglass wrote:
I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Just found this, they have the DW735 for $379.00

http://www.masterwholesale.com/details/1107216625/

I do not see that they are saying this is refurbed. Possibly given the
name, they are wholesale only.

David

William D McQuain

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

IMHO it's no gimmick at all. I bought one last summer ($475 at -gag-
Lowes).
I immediately ran 80 bf of 4/4 cypress through it that I wanted to build a
potting
bench with. Since then I've run some pretty raw oak and walnut through it,
using
both speeds... it put an almost glass-like finish on the walnut.

It's pretty much left me drooling when I've used it. Thanks be to an
understanding
wife and living 2.5 hrs from Steve Wall Lumber. My only complaint is the
volume
levels... I usually run it on my carport and if my neighbors had bomb
shelters they'd
all be diving into them when it revs up.

max

the problem with buying it locally is the sales tax kills the discount.
Right now on Amazon, there is a $25 off sale if you spend $199. Couple that
with a $30 discount if you open a credit card and no shipping and that over
105 off.
max

Tim Douglass wrote:
[...]

Leon

"DL" wrote in message

Leon,

The typical 2 speed, 2 blade planers I would agree, but with the DW735,
the number of cuts and speeds are significantly different, not to mention
the 3 knives. The results I have seen from other "inexpensive" planers
don't come close to the DW735.

David

Well I agree it looks nice and does a nice job but after you have some hours
on the knives or one gets the inevitable nick all that smoothness goes down
the drain as you are going to have to scrape and or sand.

Leon

"William D McQuain" wrote in message

IMHO it's no gimmick at all. I bought one last summer ($475 at -gag-
Lowes).
I immediately ran 80 bf of 4/4 cypress through it that I wanted to build a
potting
bench with. Since then I've run some pretty raw oak and walnut through
it, using
both speeds... it put an almost glass-like finish on the walnut.

It's pretty much left me drooling when I've used it. Thanks be to an
understanding
wife and living 2.5 hrs from Steve Wall Lumber. My only complaint is the
volume
levels... I usually run it on my carport and if my neighbors had bomb
shelters they'd
all be diving into them when it revs up.

So are you saying that you do not ever have to sand the wood after planing?
None of your knives has a nick in it yet??? If you are sanding you are
probably wasting time with the slower speed.

DL

Tim Douglass wrote:

[...]

The free shipping and the sales tax issues are good points depending on
the state tax rate. Given a person has a need for a credit card and it
has a decent rate, I guess the $30 would be worth it, but to just open
an account to then pay interest on the purchase or to pay it off
immediately and just close the account doesn't seem worth $30 to me.

Check out my other post at the bottom of this thread, a place in Seattle
has the DW735 for $379. I have no affiliation with them, just searching
today for replacement blades and saw the price. Looks like a mis-qoute
to me, but if someone could get them to honor it, that would be a great
deal. Not sure what they charge for shipping.

I also recommend the rolling stand made for this. It has the lever
style pedal mechanism that allow the unit to roll easily. I mounted the
pedal under the unit so it doesnt get in my way. That another $100 as I
remember, but worth the investment if you like your tools mobile.

David

Wes Stewart

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:00:46 -0500, DL wrote:
[snip]

I personally don't mind the fact that a machine has been refurbished.
When refurbished you are guaranteed that a person has looked at your
specific machine and signed off on it being ok. Brand new one's come
off assembly lines and only get checked randomly. From my
understanding, most returns are from people that only want to use a
machine one time or decided they didn't need it, but since the box was
opened, it cannot be sold as new.

Several years ago I was buying a circular saw at the local DeWalt
outlet. I don't remember the prices, but there were two options. A
full-price "new" one in a yellow box and a considerably lower priced
"refurb" in a plain white box.

The sales guy told me that the saws were identical, carried the same
warranty and were in fact both "new." The refurbishment occurred at
the factory when for some reason or another the item failed a
production line inspection and was sent off-line for rework.
arw01

IMHO the 2 speed thing is a gimmick on these smaller planers and I am

beginning to really dislike all the disposable blades. I think

would do
for the older model with the 2 resharpenable knives.

The second finishing speed is truely amazingly smooth. You CAN sand
directly with 220 after planing and be done.

I've not knicked my knives, yet, but if I recall they can be turned,
and it is likely can can slide one knife a bit one way or another to
smooth out the ridge. There is no rule that says you have to turn all
the knives at once.

The blower out blows the sucking of my shop vac.

Alan

DL

arw01 wrote:
(snip)
The blower out blows the sucking of my shop vac.

Alan

Funny you mention this. I was using DW735 tonight with my small Delta
dust collector connected to it. During one session of planing white
oak, when I turned off the planer, the bag on the dust collector
deflated which I thought was odd. Turns out I had forgotten to turn the
DC on, but the blower on the DW735 was so strong, it went through the 4"
hose and impeller, blowing the bag on the DC up as though it was on. I
was impressed.

David
rnjphoto

I've been using a DW735 w/disposable blades for the past six months.
I'm still on the original blades. So far I've planned about 25 rough
sawn planks of Mesquite that measure six feet by 13 inches wide and one
inch thick from a lumber yard in Arizona. Granted I don't take very
much off per pass, just enough to get it smooth on each side and I've
not had any problems with chipout which can be a problem on Mesquite.

rnjphoto

Mark Howell

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"DL" wrote in message

Leon,

The typical 2 speed, 2 blade planers I would agree, but with the DW735,
the number of cuts and speeds are significantly different, not to

mention
the 3 knives. The results I have seen from other "inexpensive" planers
don't come close to the DW735.

David

Well I agree it looks nice and does a nice job but after you have some

hours
on the knives or one gets the inevitable nick all that smoothness goes

down
the drain as you are going to have to scrape and or sand.

Or you could just feed the board in again without changing the thickness
setting. What are the chances of the nick hitting the same exact spot on
the board?

Patriarch

"Mark Howell" wrote in

Or you could just feed the board in again without changing the
thickness setting. What are the chances of the nick hitting the same
exact spot on the board?

I think it's a lot less than the likelihood that snipe can be avoided
again.

Scraping and/or sanding is not that big a deal. And there are always grain
reversals to which one must attend.

Production speeds? Drum and/or wide belt sander for the final passes.

Patriarch
B a r r y

Wes Stewart wrote:

Several years ago I was buying a circular saw at the local DeWalt
outlet. I don't remember the prices, but there were two options. A
full-price "new" one in a yellow box and a considerably lower priced
"refurb" in a plain white box.

I'm normally a big fan of refurbs, if the incentive is there, but check
this out:

We have a DeWalt "outlet store" in Wethersfield, CT. Coastal Tool is
10-15 minutes away. Coastal sells "perfect" DeWalt tools for less than
the outlet sells refurbs. G

The only thing I've ever actually purchased at the outlet was a $7 metal
chip chute for my DW733 planer. I've been shoved away from a "deal" at
the outlet store by a moron who doesn't know where Coastal is.

Barry
Doug Miller

In article , "Leon" wrote:

IMHO the 2 speed thing is a gimmick on these smaller planers

IMHO you haven't used a DW735. I've had mine for about 15 months now, and
there is a *definite* difference in surface quality between the high and low
speeds.

and I am
beginning to really dislike all the disposable blades. I think would do
for the older model with the 2 resharpenable knives.

Now I'm *sure* you don't have a DW735. I found this to be a big problem with
the DeWalt's predecessor in my shop (Delta 22-560), where even *honing* those
skinny little blades made them too narrow to be usable. But that just isn't an
issue with the DW735.

Although the blades are supposed to be disposable, there's enough metal there
to allow for a few resharpenings, as long as you don't too heavy-handed with
it. I use a Tormek grinder, followed by lapping the back sides of the knives
on #400 wet-or-dry paper laid on a glass plate, so I'm removing only a few
thousandths each time. And I'm still on the original set of knives.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article et, "Walt Conner" wrote:
I have had a DW734 for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. I
wished I had waited for the DW735 until I started hearing others say the 2
speed was of little benefit. Being able to resharpen blades was one
consideration when I bought the DW734 also.

I dunno who's saying that the two speeds are of little benefit, but I'd guess
it's mostly people who don't own DW735s. I've had one for over a year, and I
see a *tremendous* benefit.

Of course, I don't go hogging 1/8" off in a single pass, either...

And the blades on the 735 *are* resharpenable, if you have a light touch.
After 15 months or so, and many hundreds of board feet, I'm still on the
original knives.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article WQcRd.51171$Vg3.30833@lakeread05, DL wrote:

Check out my other post at the bottom of this thread, a place in Seattle
has the DW735 for $379. [...]
Not sure what they charge for shipping.

You can bet it's a *chunk*. That sucker weighs around a hundred pounds.
"Portable" planer my @$$ !

--
Regards,

Dave Hall

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:05:05 -0500, DL wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:
[...]

They didn't seem to have any problem selling to me. I went up to the
point of buying to see what shipping was. $90. Kinda made the low
price pointless.
Walt Conner

I dunno who's saying that the two speeds are of little benefit, but I'd
guess
it's mostly people who don't own DW735s.

The messages may be in the archives. Some comments from people who DO have
them have been that one speed is slow and the other slower and after the
first few passes, little difference in cut is noticeable.

My first message said I wished I had waited for a DW735 but DW734 has been
very satisfactory. DW725 blades are referred to as "disposable" as I guess
any blade is but the DW724 blades are intended for resharpening.

Walt Conner

DL

Tim Douglass wrote:

[...]

I agree that the shipping is very expensive, but for some people,
getting it at $469 after shipping will be a good deal. Even on Amazon
with free shipping and $25 off of purchases over $199 it ends up at
$475. Hopefully people that are close to them will get a better
shipping rate. It is a heavy beast for sure. I UPS'd a 24lb tenon jig
to someone on eBay and it cost $25 for that. Shipping is expensive for
heavy items.

It would be interesting if you lived close enough to Seattle whether or
not you could just pick it up. That would be a deal at $379.
Leon

"Mark Howell" wrote in message

Or you could just feed the board in again without changing the thickness
setting. What are the chances of the nick hitting the same exact spot on
the board?

Pretty likely actually that the paths will cross and at some point the high
spot will be missed again as the two paths cross. Still you have missed my
point. Planing with a planer is not a finish job. It is intended to take
the wood down to a desired thickness. If you are sending the wood through
again to try to eliminate high spots caused by a nick, you are wasting time.
You have to sand or scrape the board surface anyway why run it through the
planer again.

Large stationary planers Need 2 speeds. The fast speed is much faster than
a portable planer's fast speed and the surface it leaves is totally
unsatisfactory. The slower speeds on the stationary planers is smoother and
takes most the scallops out left by the high speed pass. For portable
planers the fast speed is slow enough to prepare a surface for scraping or
sanding. The slow speed may save you a little scraping or sanding time but
after the blades develop nicks the finish out of the planer is going to
look pretty much like any other planer. The nice smooth surface out of the
2 speed planers lasts as long as the knives are cutting perfectly.

Leon

"arw01" wrote in message
oups.com...

The second finishing speed is truely amazingly smooth. You CAN sand
directly with 220 after planing and be done.

Yes initially it is. I believe however that that is going to be short lived
relative speeking considering the life of the planer.

I've not knicked my knives, yet, but if I recall they can be turned,
and it is likely can can slide one knife a bit one way or another to
smooth out the ridge. There is no rule that says you have to turn all
the knives at once.

If you have not nicked a blade yet, you are probably have not done much
planing yet when compairing the true life expentency of the blades. Planer
blades get nicks and there is no way around that. These nicks are not a
problem and are to be expected but as this normal cycle happens the quality
of the finish that you are seeing now will be gone.
And you are right, there is no rule that you have to turn all the knives at
the same time but why do that. The improved finish will be short lived
again. IMHO uee the thickness planer for thicknessing not finishing.

The blower out blows the sucking of my shop vac.

Alan

Leon

"DL" wrote in message

Funny you mention this. I was using DW735 tonight with my small Delta
dust collector connected to it. During one session of planing white oak,
when I turned off the planer, the bag on the dust collector deflated which
I thought was odd. Turns out I had forgotten to turn the DC on, but the
blower on the DW735 was so strong, it went through the 4" hose and
impeller, blowing the bag on the DC up as though it was on. I was
impressed.

David

That is a nice feature on that model. You can simply run a hose to a trash
can and by pass filling the DC.

Leon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

IMHO the 2 speed thing is a gimmick on these smaller planers

IMHO you haven't used a DW735. I've had mine for about 15 months now, and
there is a *definite* difference in surface quality between the high and
low
speeds.

I have absolutely no doubt Doug that the finish out of my planer would put
the finish out of my planer to shame. I would not however use either
finsih as the final finish. I am going to scrape or sand regardless of what
comes out of either planer. When your planer blade gets a nick that
wonderful finish is gone and switching blades or moving blades to try to
eleminate that ridge that will show up is a waste of time since scraping or
sanding will remove the ridge effotlessly while scraping or sanding the
final surface. The slow seed IHMO is at least an extra step to planing or
more time consuming when planing.

and I am
beginning to really dislike all the disposable blades. I think would do
for the older model with the 2 resharpenable knives.

Now I'm *sure* you don't have a DW735. I found this to be a big problem
with
the DeWalt's predecessor in my shop (Delta 22-560), where even *honing*
those
skinny little blades made them too narrow to be usable. But that just
isn't an
issue with the DW735.

No I do not have that planer but am compairing to my OLD Ryobi AP 10 planer
that I have had since 1989. I have resharpened the blades 10 or so times.
The blades on this planer are between 3/32 and 1/8" thick and about 1" from
the back to the cutting edge with plenty of sharpenings left.

Although the blades are supposed to be disposable, there's enough metal
there
to allow for a few resharpenings, as long as you don't too heavy-handed
with
it. I use a Tormek grinder, followed by lapping the back sides of the
knives
on #400 wet-or-dry paper laid on a glass plate, so I'm removing only a few
thousandths each time. And I'm still on the original set of knives.

I use the same sharpener. I find it dificult to remove much material off my
blades at all using the planer blade jig. The knives that came with my
planer are bimetal. I guess that is what you would call them. ;~) If you
look very closely you can see that the cutting edge a seperate material. It
is about 1/4" front to back and about 1/2 the thickness of the whole knife
blade. I will easily be able to use all of the cutting edge material as the
knives have enough in mounting adjustment.

I actually would probably go with Dewalt's latest and greatest if my next
planer is another portable. I am simply not sold on the 2 speed feature as
being one that will be of benefit through the whole life of the blade.
Small nicks in a blade are of no matter to me as the ridge in the wood
surface gets sanded off during finish sanding. So for me, the slower finer
planer speed would be a waste of time. It is not going to prevent me from
having to finish sand for a couple of minutes after running a board through
the planer.

Leon

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
news
Several years ago I was buying a circular saw at the local DeWalt
outlet. I don't remember the prices, but there were two options. A
full-price "new" one in a yellow box and a considerably lower priced
"refurb" in a plain white box.

The sales guy told me that the saws were identical, carried the same
warranty and were in fact both "new." The refurbishment occurred at
the factory when for some reason or another the item failed a
production line inspection and was sent off-line for rework.

I agree that the refurbish is the better deal. While I absolutely do not
agree that they are not used at least 1 time. If a tool is rejected in a
factory the pieces are generally dismantled and melted down again.
Rebuilding a brand new saw to be sold at a discount is expensive, more
expensive than simply building a new one.

By definition, refurbish is To make clean, bright, or fresh again;
renovate. Brand new units never leave this condition.

Typically the refurbished units are shipped from the factory to be sold and
for what ever reason are returned to the factory for credit. If the unit is
still in sellable condition it will be refurbished and resold as
refurbished.

Tim Douglass

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:28:24 GMT, igor wrote:

I shopped price on one for a long time and I agree w/ your observation.
That being said, there were some sales at xmas and I snagged one for quite
a bit less at Amazon. Just a few days later the price went back up to
$499. Had the price not dropped, having read many reviews here and
elsewhere, I may have gotten the 734 DW planer and probably been happy with
it. BTW, Toolking has them reconditioned for $305, incl shipping.
Toolking also has a refurb 735 at $400, and I think it has full warranty.
HTH. -- Igor

Toolking is the place I found the refurb for $399. They also only list
$6.99 for shipping, which seems odd for a 100 lb item, but....

Oregon has no sales tax, but here in the center I'm pretty much
limited to the borgs and a bunch of places that tend to run
significantly more expensive, so if I can mail order something like
that with a reasonable shipping cost it works out well.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass wrote:
[...]

Nothing like that close, more's the pity.

I personally don't mind the fact that a machine has been refurbished.
When refurbished you are guaranteed that a person has looked at your
specific machine and signed off on it being ok. Brand new one's come
off assembly lines and only get checked randomly. From my
understanding, most returns are from people that only want to use a
machine one time or decided they didn't need it, but since the box was
opened, it cannot be sold as new.

I've owned a lot of refurb tools and have never had a problem with any
of them. I consider it a very good option when price is a concern
(which it always is). When I bought my air compressor refurbed at HD
the guy there told me that they had a lot of those that were picked up
by a contractor for a single job then returned for credit when the job
was done. HD used to (maybe still does) have a "no questions asked"
return policy. That compressor is still going great, but it has taken
years to flush all the crud out of the tanks, since the previous user
evidently never bothered to drain them.

BTW, I upgraded to the 735 from a Delta 22-540 and it is worth the entire
$499. This planer with it's dual speed and the 3 blades makes a huge
difference in the quality of cut. The dust collection works great as
well. I always had a problem with my Delta even with an aftermarket
dust collection option. I was able to put highly figured wood through
with no noticeable tearout. On my Delta, it would have ruined the wood.

The chip collection thing is one of the major selling points to me,
since I don't have any dust collection in the shop yet. Add the more
rigid design in and it starts to look better and better, regardless of
the number of blades etc. I do like the slow speed idea just because
it might help on highly figured woods, which are a large part of my
justification for purchasing - the cost of that wood in a planed form
is unbelievable - far better to try to find it in the rough. It would
probably only take a couple of projects for the difference in cost to
pay for the planer.

Anyway, it's a bit in the future, I raised the "guitar for planer"
plan yesterday and received one of those looks that asks you how you
like sleeping on the couch. It's odd - I don't actually play the
guitar but I own this very nice one...

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Mitchell

I picked up the DW734 in December during an Amazon sale. It has worked
great on everything I've sent through, quilted maple, curly redwood,
oak, walnut and myrtle. The finishes on everything were great, with
small passes even the curly redwood came out just about ready to go.

With all the rebates and discounts it came to ~$225 out the door.

-SAM

Tim Douglass wrote:
I've been looking at planers for some time. Recently my object of lust
has been the DW 735 - less for the 2 speed function than for all the
other nice stuff about it. As usual I have been looking to see if I
can find a great deal that I can persuade my wife to let me buy. In
the process I have discovered something - *no one* has it on any kind
of discount. It is $499 everywhere I have looked, either retail at a
local store or online. I guess it is so much in demand that list price
is the selling price. I did find a factory reconditioned one for $399,
so I may try to jump that way. All I need to do now is convince her
that it is OK for me to sell the guitar she bought me for my last
birthday and turn it into a planer. Wish me luck.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

igor

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:38:48 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

[...]

I think their shipping is "free" but they charge a small per-order fee.
Doug Miller

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

IMHO the 2 speed thing is a gimmick on these smaller planers

IMHO you haven't used a DW735. I've had mine for about 15 months now, and
there is a *definite* difference in surface quality between the high and
low
speeds.

I have absolutely no doubt Doug that the finish out of my planer would put
the finish out of my planer to shame. I would not however use either
finsih as the final finish. I am going to scrape or sand regardless of what
comes out of either planer.

I don't use that as the final finish, and I do scrape or sand afterward. But I
have noted that there is less scraping and sanding needed if the final pass is
a light cut at the slow speed.

And from my perspective, having had hand surgery twice in the last 8 months,
anything that reduces the amount of scraping and sanding I need to do is a
Good Thing. :-)

--
Regards,

Leon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .

And from my perspective, having had hand surgery twice in the last 8
months,
anything that reduces the amount of scraping and sanding I need to do is a
Good Thing. :-)

I hear you... In all seriousness, Have you ever used the PC SpeedBloc?
This sander is sooooo smooth and raises a cloud of dust. I sanded a bunch
of small pieces with this sander last weekend and I held the sander at a 90
degree angle with one hand and held the pieces that I was sanding with the
other hand. I did this for about 2 hours straight and never had a hint of
strain to the hand holding the sander. I have had this sander since 1989.

DL

wrote:

[...]

From a general use standpoint I agree that sanding or scaping should be
done post planing. When the blades dull some you will get some nicks in
the wood and it is probably better to scrape them out vs taking another
layer of wood off.

Where I find the 2 speeds critically different is in highly figured
woods. Birdseye maple used to tear out horribly with my old Delta
22-540 12" planer. With the new Dewalt, on the slower speed, there is
minimal tearout if any at all. Additionally, in very hard woods, my
single speed Delta used to leave waves of ripples that needed scraped
and sanded out. Given that it was on all of the boards run through, it
meant a considerable amount of time, so slowing the speed down and
running a final pass is well worth the time.

David

Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
Delta or DeWalt 13" Planer Tommy Woodworking 9 October 25th 03 01:13 PM
FYI Dewalt 733 Planer TAP Woodworking 1 September 2nd 03 05:20 PM
Planers versus jointers McQualude Woodworking 22 September 2nd 03 10:33 AM
New Delta planer todd Woodworking 9 August 22nd 03 09:59 PM