Neil Larson

Default Help in picking a bandsaw

I need to upgrade my bandsaw. I have an old Sears 12". It has been working
fine for about 10 years but now I need to do some resawing. I found a local
source for some real nice white and red oak and some cherry on 5/4 and 6/4
at 7" to 9" inches wide. The sears is too underpowered and too small.

So, I am looking at the Jet WBS-14CS and the Delta 28-206. Both are 1HP and
have similar specs except the delta has 2 speeds. Both are $549.99 at
woodcraft and money is a concern. I figure to add a riser to which ever I
buy.

Any opinions or experience with either of these saws with the riser
installed?

Thanks

Nitromaster

Joe_Stein

Check this out...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Hurry, it ends 1428 eastern time. Local pickup in VA.

Neil Larson wrote:

I need to upgrade my bandsaw. I have an old Sears 12". It has been working
fine for about 10 years but now I need to do some resawing. I found a local
source for some real nice white and red oak and some cherry on 5/4 and 6/4
at 7" to 9" inches wide. The sears is too underpowered and too small.

So, I am looking at the Jet WBS-14CS and the Delta 28-206. Both are 1HP and
have similar specs except the delta has 2 speeds. Both are $549.99 at
woodcraft and money is a concern. I figure to add a riser to which ever I
buy.

Any opinions or experience with either of these saws with the riser
installed?

Thanks

Nitromaster

Neil,

I have sold hundreds of each model of both bandsaws that you asked
about. Both Jet and Delta represent a good value and both bandsaws are
well made. In the 14" models most reviews come down to these two units
as which one is best. If I was doing craft work and lathe work I
would look at the Jet and save a few dollars, if I wanted to do more
resaw work and wanted to do more precision cutting I would look very
hard at the Delta. The guides are superior on the Delta unit. Good
luck.
Mike from American Sycamore
www.americansycamoreretreat.com

AAvK

1 HP, 4 speeds, and a cast iron table:
matching riser blocks from 6" going to 12":
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9645
Made in China just as much as the Delta. And you might be
able to add Carter guides to it.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

selling a bandsaw to someone who doesn't do curves... Silvan Woodworking 37 January 20th 05 07:22 AM
Verify my Bandsaw SFPM Calculations Please Wally Blackburn Metalworking 5 November 21st 04 01:21 AM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM