Default OT -- Phoney sites about phoney towns.

I know of no real fake sites, but here are some which might teach some
critical thinking:

A good introduction to political doublespeak:
http://www.whitehouse.org/kids/index.asp
http://whitehouse.org/
http://www.westernwhitehouse.org/

The 14 year olds should have some fun with this one.
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

-j

wrote in message
You're a group with eclectic interests and maybe someone here can help
me...or get me started.

My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine.
As an introduction to viruses, chat room dangers, spyware, malware,
etc., they're about to learn that -- especially on the internet --
things are not alway what they seem.

That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
sites for towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and
google has not been my friend.

Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year
olds ought to know about the net (their knowledge seems to be a mile
deep (msn) but an inch wide) would also be welcome.

Thank you.

Ken

Philip Lewis

just a couple:
http://www.improbable.com/
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/

--
be safe.
flip

Duane Bozarth

J wrote:

... no real fake sites, ...

I suppose not...

You're a group with eclectic interests and maybe someone here can

help
me...or get me started.

My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine.
As an introduction to viruses, chat room dangers, spyware, malware,
etc., they're about to learn that -- especially on the internet --
things are not alway what they seem.

That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are

suitable
for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real

looking
sites for towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and
google has not been my friend.

I don;t know any about fake towns. How about a fake University?

http://universityofnigeria.com/

A fake prduct:

http://www.carbonfreediamonds.com/

Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year
olds ought to know about the net (their knowledge seems to be a mile
deep (msn) but an inch wide) would also be welcome.

Spamhaus.org has a list of fake "remove me from your spam list"
sites he

http://www.spamhaus.org/removelists.html

And surely you must get frequent phishing emails referring you
to fake webpages set up for identity theft and credit card fraud.
Soem of those can last for weeks if they are hosted by a major
telecomunications company.

I get them every day as well as viruses sent as fake microsoft
update attachments etc.

I can also refer you to some government sites with false information
if you want your students to learn to challenge authority...

--

FF

Rick Cook

wrote in message

You're a group with eclectic interests and maybe someone here can help
me...or get me started.

My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine.
As an introduction to viruses, chat room dangers, spyware, malware,
etc., they're about to learn that -- especially on the internet --
things are not alway what they seem.

That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
sites for towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and
google has not been my friend.

Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year
olds ought to know about the net (their knowledge seems to be a mile
deep (msn) but an inch wide) would also be welcome.

Thank you.

Ken

Well, I know of one such site -- but it definitely isn't suitable for
classroom use.

I second the suggestion on critical thinking. Internet users have got to
understand that they are their own filter and their own evaluator. You
might drive the point home to them with one or two really wacko sites.

--RC

FriscoSoxFan

http://www.gator.com/home2.html

Just one example of types of software to avoid. It generates popus
based upon your browsing habits:

http://www.gainpublishing.com/
http://www.gainpublishing.com/global/advertise/

Rick Cook

Duane Bozarth wrote:
J wrote:

... no real fake sites, ...

I suppose not...

There's always:
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...latWhyFlat.htm

As far as I can tell, this guy's serious.

--RC
Walt Cheever

This is one of the classics:

http://web.fvdes.com/teacher_resourc...s/mankato.html

They used to have people coming to town wondering where the Submarine docks
were (In Minnesota!!).. Local prof in teaching technology did it to show how
gullible people were. Now there are lots of disclaimers on it, but the
irate letter from the head of the Chamber of Commerce is real.

wrote in message
You're a group with eclectic interests and maybe someone here can help
me...or get me started.

My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine.
As an introduction to viruses, chat room dangers, spyware, malware,
etc., they're about to learn that -- especially on the internet --
things are not alway what they seem.

That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
sites for towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and
google has not been my friend.

Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year
olds ought to know about the net (their knowledge seems to be a mile
deep (msn) but an inch wide) would also be welcome.

Thank you.

Ken

Rob Walters

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
news

There's always:
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...latWhyFlat.htm

As far as I can tell, this guy's serious.

--RC

I think that guy needs to put his tinfoil hat back on...

Rob

http://www.amateurtermite.com

Rob Mitchell

Rick Cook wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:

J wrote:

... no real fake sites, ...

I suppose not...

There's always:
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...latWhyFlat.htm

As far as I can tell, this guy's serious.

--RC

Um, when trying to make the earth flat, should one use a jointer, or a
planer? Would a 6" one do, or should I save up and buy the 8"?

Todd Fatheree

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
news
Duane Bozarth wrote:
J wrote:

... no real fake sites, ...

I suppose not...

There's always:
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...latWhyFlat.htm

As far as I can tell, this guy's serious.

--RC

If you read some of the other pages on his site, it appears to me that this
guy has his tongue way, way back in his cheek.

todd

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:26:19 GMT, the inscrutable "Walt Cheever"
spake:

This is one of the classics:

http://web.fvdes.com/teacher_resourc...s/mankato.html

They used to have people coming to town wondering where the Submarine docks
were (In Minnesota!!).. Local prof in teaching technology did it to show how
gullible people were. Now there are lots of disclaimers on it, but the
irate letter from the head of the Chamber of Commerce is real.

Good 'un! snort

P.S: To the OP, "phony" has no "e".

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:32:16 GMT, Rick Cook
wrote:

J wrote:
I know of no real fake sites, but here are some which might teach some
critical thinking:

A good introduction to political doublespeak:
http://www.whitehouse.org/kids/index.asp
http://whitehouse.org/
http://www.westernwhitehouse.org/

The 14 year olds should have some fun with this one.
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

-j

wrote in message

.... snip

Well, I know of one such site -- but it definitely isn't suitable for
classroom use.

I second the suggestion on critical thinking. Internet users have got to
understand that they are their own filter and their own evaluator. You
might drive the point home to them with one or two really wacko sites.

Seems that the sites "J" listed fit that bill, but they aren't exactly
kid friendly.

--RC

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Walt Cheever wrote:
This is one of the classics:

http://web.fvdes.com/teacher_resourc...s/mankato.html

They used to have people coming to town wondering where the Submarine

docks
were (In Minnesota!!)..

There is a US Navy base in Idaho.

--

FF

Doug Winterburn

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:01:42 -0800, fredfighter wrote:

There is a US Navy base in Idaho.

....and an under sea warfare training center in Nevada.

- Doug

Norman D. Crow

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:01:42 -0800, fredfighter wrote:

There is a US Navy base in Idaho.

...and an under sea warfare training center in Nevada.

There's one in the mountains of Washington also, the Jim Creek VLF station.
IIRC, the antenna array is actually strung between two mountain tops, and
the "ground array" is many miles of copper cable buried in the valley floor,
the buildings associated with it all have copper mesh in the walls, etc.,
and NO ONE outside when it's transmitting.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Rob Mitchell

How about this scam?

http://journalism.uts.edu.au/subject...ate/index.html

Rick Cook

Walt Cheever wrote:

This is one of the classics:

http://web.fvdes.com/teacher_resourc...s/mankato.html

They used to have people coming to town wondering where the Submarine

docks

were (In Minnesota!!)..

There is a US Navy base in Idaho.

One associated with submarines, even.
(It's a nuclear reactor research and test facility.)

--RC

Jim McLaughlin

I thought the Navy closed down the prototype reactor training school at
INEL (Idaho National Engineering Laboratory -- about 70 miles out into the
sticks from Idaho Falls) several years ago (mid 1990s). Only Ballston
Spa, NY and Barnwell, SC remain as training sires for Navy nuclear plant
operators?

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key.
Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
t...