Rick Cook

J wrote:
I know of no real fake sites, but here are some which might teach some
critical thinking:

A good introduction to political doublespeak:
http://www.whitehouse.org/kids/index.asp
http://whitehouse.org/
http://www.westernwhitehouse.org/

The 14 year olds should have some fun with this one.
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

-j

wrote in message

You're a group with eclectic interests and maybe someone here can help
me...or get me started.

My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine.
As an introduction to viruses, chat room dangers, spyware, malware,
etc., they're about to learn that -- especially on the internet --
things are not alway what they seem.

That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
sites for towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and
google has not been my friend.

Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year
olds ought to know about the net (their knowledge seems to be a mile
deep (msn) but an inch wide) would also be welcome.

Thank you.

Ken

Well, I know of one such site -- but it definitely isn't suitable for
classroom use.

I second the suggestion on critical thinking. Internet users have got to
understand that they are their own filter and their own evaluator. You
might drive the point home to them with one or two really wacko sites.

--RC