Will

Default Wood Lathe - King KWL-1016C - Opinions?

I was thinking about this lathe. Has anyone tried it and got a report on
it they would share?

The King KWL-1016C
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=29&ID=2385

I am anticipating doing small projects - bowls, turned jewel boxes,
spindles and legs etc. I do not anticipate doing large projects.

Price is usually about $300 CDN - or $245 USD approx. They throw in a
set of turning tools - not great ones but they work.

I know I can get the Jet mini lathe - but would only consider it if it
is so much better that it's worth paying the extra for...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Will

Jay Pique wrote:
Will wrote:

I was thinking about this lathe. Has anyone tried it and got a report on
it they would share?

see. rec.turning

Duh! Thanks Jay.

Having a no-brainer day here I guess.

The King KWL-1016C
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=29&ID=2385

I am anticipating doing small projects - bowls, turned jewel boxes,
spindles and legs etc. I do not anticipate doing large projects.

Price is usually about $300 CDN - or $245 USD approx. They throw in a
set of turning tools - not great ones but they work.

I know I can get the Jet mini lathe - but would only consider it if it
is so much better that it's worth paying the extra for...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Jay Pique

Will wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:
Will wrote:

I was thinking about this lathe. Has anyone tried it and got a report on
it they would share?

see. rec.turning

Duh! Thanks Jay.

Having a no-brainer day here I guess.

34 years and counting.....

JP
Jeff P.

Actually, it's rec.crafts.woodturning

--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Will" wrote in message
.. .

Jay Pique wrote:
Will wrote:

I was thinking about this lathe. Has anyone tried it and got a report on
it they would share?

see. rec.turning

Duh! Thanks Jay.

Having a no-brainer day here I guess.

The King KWL-1016C
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=29&ID=2385

I am anticipating doing small projects - bowls, turned jewel boxes,
spindles and legs etc. I do not anticipate doing large projects.

Price is usually about $300 CDN - or $245 USD approx. They throw in a
set of turning tools - not great ones but they work.

I know I can get the Jet mini lathe - but would only consider it if it
is so much better that it's worth paying the extra for...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

B Man

One specific comment - put the live and dead centers in place, and close
line the two up - and MAKE SURE they line up - I've seen some that are out
by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.

Finally, I say what I always say about King:

1) Don't count on getting much of a manual. They're often a bad photocopy
of a bad photocopy. Very limited information wise.
2) Make sure your dealer will immediately replace any part that is not
machined correctly - not an unusual thing for King.
3) Assuming none of he above is in effect, you might be getting a good tool
at a very good bargin price.

Brian