Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
wch

Default Getting Started in Woodworking Business

Hi,

I lost my job yesterday working at a company that builds furniture in north
Idaho. I'd been contemplating starting my own woodworking business for
quite some time anyway so this was kinda the final kick in the pants to get
me to do it.

I have a little experience in residential trimwork and quite a bit of
experience in furniture, jewelry boxes, and general woodworking. So I'm
wondering if any of you good people have similar experiences, what works for
you, what resources are out there, etc. I found some useful information
doing a Google but thought I'd check here too.

I've looked on ebay to see what kind of furniture is selling and I don't see
making it building doll furniture and selling it for $3. Many years ago I
tried the craft show route without much success but that might be something
to try again. I have a friend who does greeting cards at craft shows and he
said I could give him items to sell on consignment.

I know there are risks here financially but I'm in a position that it's
something I have to do. I have enough tools and equipment to get me started
and a garage for a workshop so I have the basics.

Anyway, any ideas / input is welcome.

Thanks

Will