RCP127

Default Dropped the motor to my Delta TS

Hello,

I had an unfortunate accident where I dropped the motor from my Delta
table saw (1 1/2 hp contractor saw 36-444) on the floor in the shop. I
dropped it on the opposite end to the shaft/pulley. Now I have an
issue with the motor. With the motor attached to the back of the table
saw, when I place the belt on the pulley, and power on the saw (as in
normal operation), the motor won't spin up and the protective circuit
on the motor trips. However, with no load on the motor, it will power
on and spin up with no problem.

I am able to use the saw by powering on the motor and letting it spin
up to speed, then slowly lowering it onto the belt. The saw cuts wood
with no problem once the motor has come up to speed.

Does anyone know what part of the motor got damaged when I dropped it
that would cause this behavior?

Thanks very much.

Gerald Ross

RCP127 wrote:

[...]

Does the motor have an external fan? If so, you can remove
the fan housing on that end and check for something binding.
Sometimes the fan will get knocked so that it rubs the
housing. Without the belt attached, can you feel friction
when the shaft is turned?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Chaste makes waste.

max

I don't think that is the problem or it would make noise once it is running.
I think that either you damaged the capacitor, a wire came loose from the
capacitor, or if it is a RI motor the brush plate inside moved. If you take
the end bell off and there is a plate that can rotate when loosened, you
have to realign the marks.
max

RCP127 wrote:

[...]

Lew Hodgett

"max" writes:
I don't think that is the problem or it would make noise once it is

running.
I think that either you damaged the capacitor, a wire came loose from the
capacitor, or if it is a RI motor the brush plate inside moved. If you

take
the end bell off and there is a plate that can rotate when loosened, you
have to realign the marks.

I agree.

If you are unfamiliar with doing motor repair, take it to a motor rewind
shop and have them check it out.

You are probably looking at the minimum charge to get the motor inspected
and repaired.

BTW, start saving your pennies for a new motor.

Took me less than 6 months to burn up that cap start, cap run motor supplied
as original equipment.

HTH

Lew

RCP127

Thanks very much for the replies and information. I'll check out the
motor tomorrow for these things.

Larry Bud

RCP127 wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies and information. I'll check out the
motor tomorrow for these things.

If you end up needed a new motor, look on ebay. I bought a 1.5 HP,
1725 rpm single phase for about $60.