Keith

Default Ryobi SC164VS Scroll Saw

I know that Ryobi is a low end line and it's certainly not my usual
first choice in tool brands, but I find myself in need of a scroll saw
for a project. I don't anticipate making heavy use of it afterwards
and the $87 price tag for the Ryobi SC164VS at The Borg is very
tempting. Has anyone had any experiance with this tool that they'd
care to share?

-Keith
Joe_Stein

I have the sc162vs that I bought NEW on ebay in 2003. Paid $60 plus
shipping. Like it a lot. It does what I need it to do. BTW, the 162 is a
16" model.
Hope this helps.
Joe

P.S. Also have a Ryobi drill press. Like it a lot too.

Keith wrote:

I know that Ryobi is a low end line and it's certainly not my usual
first choice in tool brands, but I find myself in need of a scroll saw
for a project. I don't anticipate making heavy use of it afterwards
and the $87 price tag for the Ryobi SC164VS at The Borg is very
tempting. Has anyone had any experiance with this tool that they'd
care to share?

-Keith

Steve

I have six Ryobi tools, all purchased from Home Depot:

1) 9.6V cordless variable drill. I've had it since 1998, and it has
served me very well.
2) 9" band saw. Possibly the best $97 I ever spent
3) 10" bench-top drill press. Another excellent tool for the money.
4) 3 x 36" belt-disk sander. Works well, but a little underpowered.
5) Oscillating Drum Sander - also an excellent tool for the money. I
get a lot of use out of this sanding & shaping electric guitar bodies
and necks.
6) Electric nylon cord weed cutter - good, solid, well-made tool -
better than any other electric weed trimmer I've owned.

I also had a Ryobi scroll saw for about a year, but sold it when I got
the band saw. It worked OK, but was not all that usefull for cutting
guitar necks to shape--it's really not designed for thicker wood.

--Steve