max

Default OSS

I finally need an oscillating spindle sander. I am thinking this afternoon
of going to HD and buying the Ridgid for $200. The belt sander part is
appealing because I have a 4x24 already and will have the belts. Any body
have comments on this model?
I owned the Powermatic/Jet one which worked well but there is a design flaw
in the gearing and the parts fail rapidly. It also costs twice as much.
max

toller

I've owned one for about 2 years. The dust collection is pretty worthless
and it feels cheap; but it works and has held up. Overall I would say it
was a good value, as long as you are realistic.

Edwin Pawlowski

"max" wrote in message
I finally need an oscillating spindle sander. I am thinking this afternoon
of going to HD and buying the Ridgid for $200. The belt sander part is
appealing because I have a 4x24 already and will have the belts. Any body
have comments on this model?

I've had mine for about 3 or 4 years. While not as good as a big cast iron
top model that cost twice as much, it is a great tool for the home shop. I
don't know of a project where I've not used it for something.
Ed

Leon

"max" wrote in message
I finally need an oscillating spindle sander. I am thinking this afternoon
of going to HD and buying the Ridgid for $200. The belt sander part is
appealing because I have a 4x24 already and will have the belts. Any body
have comments on this model?
I owned the Powermatic/Jet one which worked well but there is a design
flaw
in the gearing and the parts fail rapidly. It also costs twice as much.
max

A google search may be more helpful. There have been many discussions about
this particular model sander and almost all owners are happy or eventually
happy with it. I do not own one but am considering a spindle sander also.
From the last 3 or 4 years of posts about the Ridgid sander there seems to
be about a 40 percent chance that it will not have a table that is
perpendicular to the spindle. Seems getting one set up correctly is not a
certainty. But again, most all owners are happy and pleased with the unit
even if they have to exchange or tweak the unit.

Mike Myers

I have had the Rigid for a couple of years now and have had no problems with
it. It doesn't get used daily but is used with most every project. I always
think I need a larger sander but in the end, this one will do the job for
me.
Mike

"max" wrote in message
I finally need an oscillating spindle sander. I am thinking this afternoon
of going to HD and buying the Ridgid for $200. The belt sander part is
appealing because I have a 4x24 already and will have the belts. Any body
have comments on this model?
I owned the Powermatic/Jet one which worked well but there is a design

flaw
in the gearing and the parts fail rapidly. It also costs twice as much.
max

Silvan

toller wrote:

I've owned one for about 2 years. The dust collection is pretty worthless
and it feels cheap; but it works and has held up. Overall I would say it
was a good value, as long as you are realistic.

Yeah, and I put 15,000 bf of ipe through mine and burned it right up. What
a worthless piece of junk!

(This was humor people. Ha hah. Humor. Funny. Get it?)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/