John Bigg

Default shop fox

Never hear much about shop fox on here.
Looking to buy their cabinet saw -5 hp
any comments?

B a r r y

John Bigg wrote:
Never hear much about shop fox on here.
Looking to buy their cabinet saw -5 hp
any comments?

I always thought of Shop Fox as Grizzly tools with different paint.

Barry
Leon

"John Bigg" wrote in message
Never hear much about shop fox on here.
Looking to buy their cabinet saw -5 hp
any comments?

I think, Pontiac is to Chevrolet as Shop Fox is to Grizzly? Why 5 hp?? Are
you going to be running it 8 hours a day with a power feeder? If not, with
3 hp you can resaw Ipe with the blade all the way up with no indication of
the motor slowing and save money.

Jody

John Bigg wrote:
Never hear much about shop fox on here.
Looking to buy their cabinet saw -5 hp
any comments?

I have the 3hp left tilt with the classic fence and also the 2hp dust
collector. I am very happy with both.

Shop Fox is not made by Grizzly as some think. It's Woodstock
International line of tools. It is carried by a lot of dealers including
Grizzly. Also as someone else pointed out, why are you looking at the
5hp. If it's not a production shop with the saw running all day long
with a power feeder a 3hp is all one should need. Also it's not numbered
like the craftmans peek hp.
B a r r y

Jody wrote:

Shop Fox is not made by Grizzly as some think. It's Woodstock
International line of tools.

Do you know if they source from the same factories?

I'm one of the "some think" people, and the couple of tools really
looked the same that I've compared.

Barry
Brian Elfert

Jody writes:

Shop Fox is not made by Grizzly as some think. It's Woodstock
International line of tools. It is carried by a lot of dealers including
Grizzly. Also as someone else pointed out, why are you looking at the

Awful lot of coincidences if Woodstock International and Grizzly are not
related.

Both are headquartered in Bellingham, WA. Both have warehouses in the
same three states. (Woodstock only lists the states and not cities of the
warehouses.) Some machinery is said to look very similiar.

Brian Elfert
Jody

B a r r y wrote:

Do you know if they source from the same factories?

I'm one of the "some think" people, and the couple of tools really
looked the same that I've compared.

Barry

Well this might start a flame war but yes most of the big iron tools are
made at the same place. The BIG difference is tolerances. When a tool is
cast and milled if it falls within the tolerances set by a company like
grizzly it gets painted green. If it does not meet the tolerances it's
passed to the next company. Now on a large scale when that is done all
the tool companys get there machines. Some are a little better than
others, most are the same. I do know for a fact Jet's 15" planer is the
same casting as the Reliant 15" planer. The big difference is Jet holds
the factory at a higher tolerance and still does the final machining to
bring it to even a higher tolerance.

patrick conroy

"John Bigg" wrote in message

Never hear much about shop fox on here.

Shop Fox is Grizzly's retail brand. There's one magazine article that
claimed more than just cosmetic differences 'tween the two. That's never
been confirmed. The prevailing suspicion is that its the same gear, just
white and logo'd.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:46:05 GMT, patrick conroy wrote:

"John Bigg" wrote in message

Never hear much about shop fox on here.

Shop Fox is Grizzly's retail brand. There's one magazine article that
claimed more than just cosmetic differences 'tween the two. That's never
been confirmed. The prevailing suspicion is that its the same gear, just
white and logo'd.

So, kind of a Rockwell/Delta kind of thing then?

Nova

Jody wrote:

John Bigg wrote:
Never hear much about shop fox on here.
Looking to buy their cabinet saw -5 hp
any comments?

I have the 3hp left tilt with the classic fence and also the 2hp dust
collector. I am very happy with both.

Shop Fox is not made by Grizzly as some think. It's Woodstock
International line of tools. It is carried by a lot of dealers including
Grizzly. Also as someone else pointed out, why are you looking at the
5hp. If it's not a production shop with the saw running all day long
with a power feeder a 3hp is all one should need. Also it's not numbered
like the craftmans peek hp.

A partial quote below from:

http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/2537.html

"It got me curious, so I checked with the state of Washington's Secretary of
State. I don't think this lists who owns them, but it's revealing
none-the-less.

Woodstock International (Shop Fox)
UBI Number 601 179 517
Category Regular Corporation
Profit/Nonprofit Profit
Active/Inactive Active
State of Incorporation WA
Date of Incorporation 05/15/1989
License Expiration Date 05/31/2005
Registered Agent Information
Agent Name SHIRAZ BALOLIA
Address 1821 VALENCIA ST
PO BOX 2069
City BELLINGHAM
State WA
ZIP 98227

Grizzly
UBI Number 600 487 982
Category Regular Corporation
Profit/Nonprofit Profit
Active/Inactive Active
State of Incorporation WA
Date of Incorporation 04/01/1983
License Expiration Date 04/30/2005
Registered Agent Information
Agent Name SHIRAZ BALOLIA
Address 1821 VALENCIA ST
City BELLINGHAM
State WA
ZIP 98226

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Nova

patrick conroy wrote:

"John Bigg" wrote in message

Never hear much about shop fox on here.

Shop Fox is Grizzly's retail brand. There's one magazine article that
claimed more than just cosmetic differences 'tween the two. That's never
been confirmed. The prevailing suspicion is that its the same gear, just
white and logo'd.

IIRC, Sal Balolia the president of both companies address the question. I
believe he stated that Grizzly Tools was set up to be direct marketers.
Grizzly received so many requests for retail distributors Grizzly obliged by
marketing their products under the "Shop Fox" name to avoid having retail
operations from having to compete price wise with Grizzly's direct marketing
operation.

I'm not sure where I saw the article but in may have been in one of the past
Grizzly catalogs.

wrote:

"John Bigg" wrote in message

Never hear much about shop fox on here.

Shop Fox is Grizzly's retail brand. There's one magazine article that
claimed more than just cosmetic differences 'tween the two. That's never
been confirmed. The prevailing suspicion is that its the same gear, just
white and logo'd.

a quick comparison will show differences in the featureset. generally
shopfox will have more features than the comparable grizzly.

patrick conroy

"Nova" wrote in message

I'm not sure where I saw the article but in may have been in one of the

past
Grizzly catalogs.

IIRC, the article I refer to stated/implied that the shop fox trunnions on
the cabinet saw were "beefier" than the ones on the similar Griz. Well,
that's what I recall.

Like the old joke:

"Honestly, I read it!"
"OK, first I wrote it, and *then* I read it..."

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:16:59 -0500, Nova
wrote:

A partial quote below from:

http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/2537.html

"It got me curious, so I checked with the state of Washington's Secretary of
State. I don't think this lists who owns them, but it's revealing
none-the-less.

Woodstock International (Shop Fox)
Agent Name SHIRAZ BALOLIA

Grizzly
Agent Name SHIRAZ BALOLIA

S. Balolia is the president of Grizzly, so the idea that the two
companies are related is probably pretty sound.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

B a r r y

Jody wrote:

Well this might start a flame war but yes most of the big iron tools are
made at the same place. The BIG difference is tolerances. When a tool is
cast and milled if it falls within the tolerances set by a company like
grizzly it gets painted green. If it does not meet the tolerances it's
passed to the next company. Now on a large scale when that is done all
the tool companys get there machines. Some are a little better than
others, most are the same. I do know for a fact Jet's 15" planer is the
same casting as the Reliant 15" planer. The big difference is Jet holds
the factory at a higher tolerance and still does the final machining to
bring it to even a higher tolerance.

I agree. No flame here.

The real differences are with General, Baldor, OneWay, etc... and the
higher end of names like Delta and PM. I had a Delta Shopmaster grinder
that I feel was a Harbor Freight unit with a cheapie speed control and
gray paint. I now have an American made Baldor, which was three times
the price, but incomparable in quality,

The bicycle industry is almost identical. The low end stuff all comes
out of China, with brand name stuff getting better fit and finish, and
the low end going to department stores. The mid-line stuff is designed
in North America or Europe, made in China or Taiwan, and sometimes
assembled here. High end is American, Canadian, Japanese, Italian,
French or German made, from start to finish.

Barry
Jim Weisgram

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:47:34 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

I'm not sure where I saw the article but in may have been in one of the

past
Grizzly catalogs.

IIRC, the article I refer to stated/implied that the shop fox trunnions on
the cabinet saw were "beefier" than the ones on the similar Griz. Well,
that's what I recall.

Like the old joke:

"Honestly, I read it!"
"OK, first I wrote it, and *then* I read it..."

I recall that, too. However, IIRC, the original source of that info
was comparing the left tilt Shop Fox against the right tilt Grizzly.
At the same time as all this, a left tilt Grizzly was available at
$100 more than right tilt.

I always suspected the left tilt Shop Fox was the same as the left
tilt Grizzly.

Now, I don't know why the (somewhat) beefier trunnions are all that
relevant for a home woodworker. But I ended up with the left tilt
Grizzly.