Jason Quick

Default Pathetic wood lust moment...

So I'm sitting at the in-laws the other night in the living room. In one
corner there's an old upright piano that apparently SWMBO and the BiL
pounded around on when they were kids. The thing is at least a century old.
Now it mostly does duty as a multi-level table on which the MIL displays
pictures of the grandkids and family.

Did I mention it's made of quartersawn white oak? *Thick* QSWO. It's
byootiful. The finish is all orange-peeled and crackly, too.

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of the
thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was, "Yeah,
give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Jason

Silvan

Jason Quick wrote:

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of
the
thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was,
"Yeah, give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense. I'd be far better to give it to some kid who wants to play the
pie-anner but can't afford one. (Those things are EXPENSIVE!)

Unless it's not playable, then it's a whole nother can o' fish. Or kettle
o' worms. Or something.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Rob Mitchell

Silvan wrote:
Jason Quick wrote:

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of
the
thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was,
"Yeah, give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense. I'd be far better to give it to some kid who wants to play the
pie-anner but can't afford one. (Those things are EXPENSIVE!)

Unless it's not playable, then it's a whole nother can o' fish. Or kettle
o' worms. Or something.

If the piano case is extremely ornate, you might want to have an expert
look at it. There is a very slight chance that it is worth something,
especially if it is made in Europe (Germany) or is a Steinway or
something similar.

Otherwise it is probably not worth repairing. I have an old, locally
made piano, a Bell, which is good, but not worth anything. A local
expert told me that it was worth about $300CDN and would cost more to
restore than a new piano. (The expert is a large restorer of piano's)

So, QSWO might be $8bdft, and there might be 40bdft -50bdft in a piano
case, so I figure it is lumber value only. (Hmmm, that's a good thought
of what to do with my old piano!) The soundboards are clear spruce
usually and flat, so that might be an extra few bdft too.

Rob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jason Quick" wrote in message

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of
the thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was,
"Yeah, give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Went to a wedding last years. All I could think about in church was what I
could make from the 6/4 oak in the pews

loutent

I resemble that when I'm in church.

Not that often (except funerals) these days.

Lou

In article , Edwin
Pawlowski wrote:

"Jason Quick" wrote in message

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of
the thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was,
"Yeah, give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Went to a wedding last years. All I could think about in church was what I
could make from the 6/4 oak in the pews

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:37:30 -0600, "Jason Quick"
wrote:

So I'm sitting at the in-laws the other night in the living room. In one
corner there's an old upright piano that apparently SWMBO and the BiL
pounded around on when they were kids. The thing is at least a century old.
Now it mostly does duty as a multi-level table on which the MIL displays
pictures of the grandkids and family.

Did I mention it's made of quartersawn white oak? *Thick* QSWO. It's
byootiful. The finish is all orange-peeled and crackly, too.

Look very, very carefully at that thick QSWO, most pianos I've seen
don't have solid wood, even the good ones are made of laminated pieces
and veneered.

Otherwise I'm with Silvan.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Nate Perkins

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
. com:

"Jason Quick" wrote in message

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid
of the thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could
think was, "Yeah, give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that
sumbitch..."

Went to a wedding last years. All I could think about in church was
what I could make from the 6/4 oak in the pews

Yeah, at my church they recently "redid" the sanctuary. The few pieces of
old stuff that remained (table for the centerpiece and a big bible stand)
were this absolutely gorgeous QS white oak. The new stuff (the new
layman's pulpit) was ugly plywood with brown stain on it, roughly the color
of fumed white oak, and some appliques glued on. I guess it looked okay
from a distance but if you were into wood it was really a big step down.

I oughta build them a new one. So many projects, so little time.
Bill Waller

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:09:59 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Jason Quick wrote:

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of
the
thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was,
"Yeah, give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense. I'd be far better to give it to some kid who wants to play the
pie-anner but can't afford one. (Those things are EXPENSIVE!)

Unless it's not playable, then it's a whole nother can o' fish. Or kettle
o' worms. Or something.

First, I must say that I agree with Silvan sentiment regarding the demolishing
of a functional instrument. I did a lot of restoration work on pianos and reed
organs back in the 70s and 80s.

If you are going to take the piano apart, please be warned that there is a
tremendous amount of pressure in the harp. Do not cut the strings. If you cut
them unevenly, there is a chance that the iron frame will stress out and the
results could be very unpredictable. To safely remove the strings, ease the
tuning pins out, one string at a time, moving from one note to the next,
starting in the center and working evenly towards the ends. Work the strings
down to one for each note before making the final pass. On the final pass, I
would start in the middle and work out alternating notes.

If you decide not to destroy the piece, you will find that the original finish
is some form of shellac. Do a test wipe with denatured alcohol. If the finish
softens and re-amalgamates, it is "normal" soft shellac, the kind we are used
to. If it does not, It is what was termed hard shellac. In either case, do not
try to use heat to remove it.

The other problem that you will run into is hide glue. Many parts of a musical
instrument were designed to be removed for ease of repair, but many of the case
elements were glued with hot hide glue. Plain white vinegar can be used to
break these joints, but it is a very slow process. If the larger pieces are
veneered, the vinegar will break the bond of veneer as well.

Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

mac davis

wrote:

So I'm sitting at the in-laws the other night in the living room. In one
corner there's an old upright piano that apparently SWMBO and the BiL
pounded around on when they were kids. The thing is at least a century old.
Now it mostly does duty as a multi-level table on which the MIL displays
pictures of the grandkids and family.

Did I mention it's made of quartersawn white oak? *Thick* QSWO. It's
byootiful. The finish is all orange-peeled and crackly, too.

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of the
thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was, "Yeah,
give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Jason

well, Jason.. take some advise from an ol' fart... that's what we do
best, give advise.. *g*

Aside from the "thou shalt not destroy pianos" thing, and the bad
karma of doing so, the real issue here is that your bride used to
pound on the thing... and no matter what you make out of it, it will
always be the body of the childhood friend that you killed...

Marriage can be smooth and enjoyable.. just practice saying "yes,
dear" on your way out to the shop...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

wrote:

[...]

Not to mention the unlikelihood that the QSWO is more than veneer deep.

I destroyed a piano once, and they're a bitch. Opporknockity, the tuner,
said that the sound board was shot and the harp (cast iron) was cracked, so
there was no way an honest man could even put it up free for the taking.
Eldest son and I spent the better part of a weekend getting it down into
small enough pieces to burn. The insides were a hoot - poplar slathered
with glue and glued to pieces of oak, some soft maple, and a white ash chunk
that I turned into candlesticks. Just like the upholstered furniture, the
framing was of the lowest sort of wood, except for the quartersawn - and
cracked - spruce soundboard, which was a pleasure to behold.

Two of the three kids learned on that old beast, but it was really intruding
into useable space. I still have some of the pins, if anyone's building a
hammered dulcimer.

Jason Quick

wrote:

Jason Quick wrote:

Then the MIL made some comment about how she should probably get rid of
the
thing, since no one's played it in ages. And all I could think was,
"Yeah, give it to me, Mom...*I"ll* take care of that sumbitch..."

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense. I'd be far better to give it to some kid who wants to play the
pie-anner but can't afford one. (Those things are EXPENSIVE!)

Fortunately (or un-), I agree. Thus the pie-anney won't be coming apart.
*sniff*

Jason

Silvan

George wrote:

into useable space. I still have some of the pins, if anyone's building a
hammered dulcimer.

I'm building a hammered dulcimer. Or seriously investigating building a
hammered dulcimer anyway. I haven't broken ground on it yet, but I think I
can pull it off.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:22:23 -0500, Silvan wrote:
George wrote:

into useable space. I still have some of the pins, if anyone's building a
hammered dulcimer.

I'm building a hammered dulcimer. Or seriously investigating building a
hammered dulcimer anyway. I haven't broken ground on it yet, but I think I
can pull it off.

I've got a coffee can full of piano tuning pins and I think I can put my
hands on them. If you or someone else wants 'em, say the word(s).

Dave Hinz
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Jason Quick" wrote:

Did I mention it's made of quartersawn white oak? *Thick* QSWO. It's
byootiful. The finish is all orange-peeled and crackly, too.

Could be a Stickley...

There was someone here a few years ago who restored a q-s oak piano,
now, who was that? Maybe a google search would come up with the thread.
It was gorgeous.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

I've got a coffee can full of piano tuning pins and I think I can put my
hands on them. If you or someone else wants 'em, say the word(s).

The word(s).

My email address works. I'll take'em off your hands if you have no use for
them. Having the pins laying around staring at me might be a good
inducement to get me over the hump and actually cut some wood instead of
just thinking about it. I realllllllllly want a hammered dulcimer, but
it's a slightly intimidating project still. I've about half convinced
myself to wuss out and buy a kit once.

But if I successfully build a kit, I see a long future as a dulcimer builder
in my, um, future. I love those things like few other instruments. I got
to play one once, and it was like touching $DEITY.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Jason Quick wrote:

offense. I'd be far better to give it to some kid who wants to play the
pie-anner but can't afford one. (Those things are EXPENSIVE!)

Fortunately (or un-), I agree. Thus the pie-anney won't be coming apart.
*sniff*

Take some solace from the fact that the guy suggesting the thing is veneered
is probably right. People have been using veneer for a long, long time,
and I've found that anything made in the 20th century probably isn't solid
wood unless the previous owners were robber barons or oil tycoons or
something.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

Rick Cook

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

Doubly critical, ya pommy sassanaech!

--RC
Rick Cook

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

Aaah! Heathens! I've fallen in among heathens!

--RC

Robert Bonomi

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

I'll see you bagpipes and banjo, and raise you an 8-year-old's "drum set".

Joe C.

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

Aaah! Heathens! I've fallen in among heathens!

--RC

And I'm going all-in with an accordian.

Joe C.

Rick Cook

Joe C. wrote:
"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

Aaah! Heathens! I've fallen in among heathens!

--RC

And I'm going all-in with an accordian.

Joe C.

Okay, I'll go for the accordion.

--RC
Rick

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

Accordion

Basson

Baritone Sax

Viola

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

You'll note, the original poster did say *musical* instruments. ;-)
(ducking and running)

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:19:43 GMT, the inscrutable Rick Cook
spake:

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

Aaah! Heathens! I've fallen in among heathens!

I'll see your pipes and banjos and raise you $1.00 plastic
recorders (Flute, Davey) and bongos from Dollar Tree.

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

Tim Douglass

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:44:41 GMT, Rick Cook
wrote:

Joe C. wrote:
"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

Aaah! Heathens! I've fallen in among heathens!

--RC

And I'm going all-in with an accordian.

Joe C.

Okay, I'll go for the accordion.

Dang! I like Bagpipes, Banjos *and* accordians.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Patriarch

"Rick" wrote in news:WhVOd.59337
:

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

Accordion

Basson

Baritone Sax

Viola

In the SF Bay area, a good bassoonist can reasonably work as much as they
want. Orchestra, ensemble, etc.

You can keep the the bagpipes and the accordian, however.

Patriarch
Silvan

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

If I could afford them, I'd *own* a set of bagpipes.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

If I could afford one, I'd *own* a banjo.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

I'll see your pipes and banjos and raise you $1.00 plastic
recorders (Flute, Davey) and bongos from Dollar Tree.

I have to reject that submission, Larry. The key criterion here is
"functional." That excludes everything from Dollar Tree, Target or
Wal-Mart.

Although those crappy First Act recorders are playable after you clean up
the mold lines and ream out a couple of the undersized holes. Barely.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

.... I mean, really, do you ever
hear someone say "Wow, could you please play that banjo even louder", or "come
closer with those bagpipes please"?

Sure do...me!
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

Aaah! Heathens! I've fallen in among heathens!

Just so we're both on the same page, there are meant to be counterexamples to the
"never damage a musical instrument on purpose". I mean, really, do you ever
hear someone say "Wow, could you please play that banjo even louder", or "come
closer with those bagpipes please"?

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Okay, I'll go for the accordion.

Dang! I like Bagpipes, Banjos *and* accordians.
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Hm. Are you an Italian Scottish Hillbilly by genealogical makeup, I wonder?

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Sorry, but disassembling a functional musical instrument is a criminal
offense.

Bagpipes.

I'll see your bagpipes and raise you a banjo.

If I could afford one, I'd *own* a banjo.

What state are you in? I've got one I don't use. Fairly crappy but playable.
Dave

Doug Miller

In article , Dave Hinz wrote:
Just so we're both on the same page, there are meant to be counterexamples to
the "never damage a musical instrument on purpose". I mean, really, do you ever
hear someone say "Wow, could you please play that banjo even louder", or "come
closer with those bagpipes please"?

Some might say it's an open question as to whether bagpipes and banjos even
fall into the category of musical instruments.

--
Regards,

Tim Douglass

wrote:

Okay, I'll go for the accordion.

Dang! I like Bagpipes, Banjos *and* accordians.
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Hm. Are you an Italian Scottish Hillbilly by genealogical makeup, I wonder?

Well, Scottish hillbilly at least :-)

I also like Bassoons, Bari. Sax and Viola.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:52:20 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

.... I mean, really, do you ever
hear someone say "Wow, could you please play that banjo even louder", or "come
closer with those bagpipes please"?

Sure do...me!

Me too!

Just remember that Bagpipes were instruments for military bands and
can double as an offensive weapon. They are *not* intended to be
played indoors. But there is nothing as stirring as a massed pipe band
or as melancholy as a lone piper on a distant hill.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com