stoutman

Default Posted my finished bed at ABPW.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Earl Creel

Nice work Stoutman. That bed should serve well until your son grows up and
leaves "the nest" which will happen all too quickly. However, if you are
lucky some day after he is grown and married he will announce that he and
wife need new bedroom furniture. (and will you build it for us?) At which
point you should say sure but you must show up and help build it. Believe
me, quality time with your grown children is rare and precious. Anyway that
is what happened to me last year. I will post pictures of the red oak
mission style bed and storage unit we built on a.b.p.w.

The bed is a king sized monster and produced design challenges because it
had to be moved, using his vehicle, from my basement shop here in Kansas to
his home in Albuquerque N.M. Though not apparent in the pictures the bed is
tall. The top of the mattress is 36" above the floor. The storage units are
22" tall and the Select Comfort mattress is 14" thick. The headboard is
about 6' tall. The 12 drawers are all the same size, roughly 24" wide x 7"
deep x 30" long. The pine drawer boxes are dovetailed on all four corners
and have 3/8" baltic birch bottoms. We used Blum Tandem full extension
undermount drawer slides.

The overall look of headboard and footboard were taken from a Wood Magazine
article. However, we made most of the parts beefier to keep everything in
proportion to the large size. For example, the magazine plans called for 2"
square posts, we made them 3 ¾". The plans called for 5/4 thick rails, we
made them 7/4 by gluing 15/16" stock together and then sanding them down a
bit. The posts were made from 15/16" stock using a 45 degree lock miter
joint. The lock miter router bit is hard to set up but makes an excellent
joint. Very close inspection is needed to find the corner seams in the
posts. It should be noted that the headboard and footboard are only
decoration. The mattress is supported by the storage units. Also worth
noting is that there is about a foot of space between the storage units. It
forms a long tunnel the length of the bed and can be used to store long
items. The kids also use this space for the compressor that inflates the
mattress.

A fun project for father and son.

Earl Creel

"stoutman" wrote in message
. com...
Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Dave Eames , Oakhurst CA

I'm not seeing a link to the pics of your bed, and I'd like to check it
out.
Dave Eames

stoutman

I posted it on my web page. Let me know what you think:
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

"Dave Eames , Oakhurst CA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not seeing a link to the pics of your bed, and I'd like to check it
out.
Dave Eames

Dave Eames , Oakhurst CA

Pretty nice, is that mission style?
I was thinking about buying a book on building mission style furniture.
Dave

stoutman

Thanks.

Yep, I think it would be considered mission/arts and crafts.

ups.com...