Duane Bozarth

Brian Elfert wrote:
The first Lowe's just opened here in Minneapolis. I went there the second
day they were open. I didn't think it was anything special versus Home
Depot.

Where I had access to both (E TN), the difference wasn't in what was
carried, it that Lowe's building material tended to be of much higher
quality than HD's--particularly framing lumber.
Edwin Pawlowski

"J T" wrote in message

PLUS Lowes has clerks who can actually tell you (or take you to)
where what you are looking for is. HD doesn't even come close on that.

No, Lowes isn't the greatest in the world, but so far it's topped
all my HD experiences.

That varies from store to store. If I go tot he Worcester stores, HD has
the edge. In the Manchester stores, Lowes does. At that location they are
right across the street from each other.

Joe Gorman

snip

Lowe's is 20 miles. Buying a washing machine from them was an interesting
experience, but it beat the heck out of Sears.

Patriarch

The guys in the yard at our Lowes usually couldn't find the washer
we had bought so we were upgraded to the next larger for the same
price. Huge tub, with only 2 of us, usually, to fill it.
Joe

that reminds me of the first time i headed east on I10 out of El Paso.
there was a sign saying "Dallas 620 miles" it occurred to me that if
you were heading into the wilderness east of El Paso, and you had to be
TOLD it was 620 miles to Dallas, you might just be in a world of doo
doo. there are some things you really ought to know BEFORE you hit the
road.

martin caskey
millers island, maryland
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Thursday 27 Jan 2005 8:01 pm, Duane Bozarth scribbled:

Joe_Stein wrote:

Where I'm from:
20 miles to nearest Lowes
25 miles to HD

OK, 230 and 65...don't go there often...

Lessee
Home Depot:
Prince George 1069 miles
Grande Prairie 997

Lowes, only in Alaska:
Fairbanks 600
Wasilla 643

Coming to think of it, they also have HD in Fairbanks and Wasilla.

Don't
go there often either...

But we do have a borg-like Home Hardware which carries mainly General
and General International large tools and the whole gamut of smaller
power tools. Plus the employees are easy to find and usually know

their
stuff.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
patrick conroy wrote:

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

In article .com,
wrote:
that reminds me of the first time i headed east on I10 out of El Paso.
there was a sign saying "Dallas 620 miles" it occurred to me that if
you were heading into the wilderness east of El Paso, and you had to be

Lived in the DFW area for almost 15 years after coming from Wisconsin. Never
forget hitting the scan button on the radio in Gawd Awful West Texas and
just watching the numbers spin and spin. Never locked on.

*MUST* have been the FM band.

On AM, there is a _famous_ station in, I believe, Juarez, Mexico, just across
the river from Del Rio, Texas. Famous for, among other things, running at
way, *WAY*, higher than licensed power levels. And an 'overmodulated' signal.
Vague memory says callsign was XELO, but I'm not sure.

You would pick em up even if you were _not_ tuned to their frequency.

*ONLY* in Texas, will you see highway signs commanding:

MODESTY Next 8 Exits

Forgot the 'xact wording, but drove through rural Montana not too long ago.
They've got signs under the exit along the lines of "No Services" which I

"No Services" _is_ the exact wording. Not just in Montana. Its a US DOT
standard for Interstate Highway signage.

take to mean "If you're bleeding, hungry or out'a gas, don't bother with
this exit. There ain't no-one here."

Not quite, but close. grin

"Services" are "gas", "food", "lodging". And they have to be within some
relatively small number of miles (5?, 10?) of the exit to be considered.

"No services" means "no place to sleep, eat, or get gas" anywhere 'close'
to the exit. Don't expect to just drive off and find something.

Hospitals are treated entirely differently. If you've got a certified
emergency room -- and/or a 'trauma center' rating -- you'll get one of
those blue 'H' pointers at the nearest Interstate exit. Unless there is
some other facility that is closer (although it may be at a _different_
exit.)

Duane Bozarth

Robert Bonomi wrote:
"No services" means "no place to sleep, eat, or get gas" anywhere 'close'
to the exit. Don't expect to just drive off and find something.

And in many western states, there are also exits marked "Ranch Exit" or
equivalent...these, in addition to there being no services are what they
say--local roads only to one or more ranch houses which may be 30
miles or more from the exit.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:09:32 -0600, the inscrutable Duane Bozarth
spake:

Robert Bonomi wrote:
"No services" means "no place to sleep, eat, or get gas" anywhere 'close'
to the exit. Don't expect to just drive off and find something.

And in many western states, there are also exits marked "Ranch Exit" or
equivalent...these, in addition to there being no services are what they
say--local roads only to one or more ranch houses which may be 30
miles or more from the exit.

Perfect to pull off, water the side of the road, pour yourself another
cup of coffee, and drive on.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

Will

I've driven that stretch of road many times. Lots of places to get gas.
Some of the "food" available in restaurants along that stretch could
only be described as such by virtue of the fact that you _could_ horse
it down if you were about to die of starvation -- not that you would
want to otherwise.

I was usually driving west from Texarkana through FW/Dallas on to
Nogales. Pretty country -- if you like desert. Still a bit wild and
beautiful to see.

I used to think that the towns depicted in "B grade" modern cowboy
movies were fictional representations out of a directors nightmare --
now I am not so sure. Maybe it's just the area near the highways
though... :-) Nice people as well in that area. Just stay polite and
respectful and they won't shoot you -- much.