JT

Default Chop Saw Laser Guides, Are they any good?

1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws?
Are they worth having and do they really work?

2) Which is better, a single side or dual sided guide?

3) Who makes the best AFTER MARKET Laser Guide?
Mike Marlow

"JT @yahoo.com" jrt2hooREMOVE THIS wrote in message
1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws?
Are they worth having and do they really work?

2) Which is better, a single side or dual sided guide?

3) Who makes the best AFTER MARKET Laser Guide?

Isn't this the exact same post that made the rounds here a month or so ago?
--

-Mike-

Mike in Mystic

I saw this one demoed at a woodworking show:

http://www.bladepoint.com/

I was going to buy one, but the guy was too busy selling them and I had to
leave. The demo was very impressive, and it really seems like this could
improve accuracy and save time (by removing the need to sneak up on cuts,
for one thing).

I'm still planning to get one, but for now I don't have any first hand
experience.

Mike
"JT @yahoo.com" jrt2hooREMOVE THIS wrote in message
1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws?
Are they worth having and do they really work?

2) Which is better, a single side or dual sided guide?

3) Who makes the best AFTER MARKET Laser Guide?

Dave Jackson

My opinion is that lasers are unnecessary. I can get on target if i use my
"good eye" and only have to sneak up once more or so from there. My only
experience with using lasers was the standard unit on the Hitachi and Delta
CMS. Both seemed to worked equally well, but i thought, and still think,
lasers are more gimmicky than useful. --dave

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"JT @yahoo.com" jrt2hooREMOVE THIS wrote in message
1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws?
Are they worth having and do they really work?

2) Which is better, a single side or dual sided guide?

3) Who makes the best AFTER MARKET Laser Guide?

Isn't this the exact same post that made the rounds here a month or so
ago?
--

-Mike-

TeamCasa

http://www.bladepoint.com/

I was going to buy one, but the guy was too busy selling them and I had to
leave. The demo was very impressive, and it really seems like this could
improve accuracy and save time (by removing the need to sneak up on cuts,
for one thing).

I'm still planning to get one, but for now I don't have any first hand
experience.

Mike

I would never buy anything from someone who states ALL SALES ARE FINAL--NO
REFUNDS on their website.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:48:39 -0800, TeamCasa wrote:

I would never buy anything from someone who states ALL SALES ARE FINAL--NO
REFUNDS on their website.

Agreed, but if you pay by credit card, and they sell you junk, you can
have the charge reversed. But yes, I'd buy from anyone else first if I
could.
Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:48:39 -0800, TeamCasa wrote:

I would never buy anything from someone who states ALL SALES ARE FINAL--NO
REFUNDS on their website.

Agreed, but if you pay by credit card, and they sell you junk, you can
have the charge reversed. But yes, I'd buy from anyone else first if I
could.

Well, there could be a problem if it works as they say it should but
you're just not happy...not at all sure that would qualify unequivocally
under the Fair Credit Act provisions for a guaranteed refund.
Mike Pio

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
m...
I saw this one demoed at a woodworking show:

http://www.bladepoint.com/

One thing I don't like about this type of laser guide is that it's only
operated when the saw blade is spinning. While I haven't yet tried one, it
seems like having to turn on the saw before lining up the cut would be
somewhat self-defeating. Are there any lasers with a separate on switch
like you'd find on the newer Delta saw, for example, that don't require the
blade to be spinning first?

I was going to buy one, but the guy was too busy selling them and I had to
leave. The demo was very impressive, and it really seems like this could
improve accuracy and save time (by removing the need to sneak up on cuts,
for one thing).

I'm still planning to get one, but for now I don't have any first hand
experience.

Mike
"JT @yahoo.com" jrt2hooREMOVE THIS wrote in message
1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws?
Are they worth having and do they really work?

2) Which is better, a single side or dual sided guide?

3) Who makes the best AFTER MARKET Laser Guide?

TBone

The one on the delta does not mount to the blade so it can have a switch. I
have both the blade point and a separate one and both have their advantages.
The separately mounted one has the advantage of a separate switch so it can
be turned on whenever. The down sides are finding a good place to mount it,
keeping it aligned, keeping it clean. The advantage of the blade point will
mount to just about any saw and requires no alignment. It is also much
brighter than my separately mounted one. The downsides are that they run on
batteries that will need to be replaced, the saw has to run for it to work,
the light is actually to the left of the actual cut line. I personally
find the blade point to be a good unit that works well. All you really need
to do is just tap the trigger to get it to come on and with the saw in the
fully up position, the blade guard will protect you from the spinning blade.
I also bought a blade point for my RAS and it made aligning it a dream.

"Mike Pio" wrote in message

[...]

ToolMiser

I picked up a combo/bonus deal for something similar at Home depot. It was
about $50.00 for a 12" blade and the lazer. I didn't think the lazer would be
that helpful, but I admit I do like it.
Woodcrafter

Are there any lasers with a separate on switch
like you'd find on the newer Delta saw, for example, that don't require

the
blade to be spinning first?

Yes, there is the Laserkerf laser.
Here is a detailed review:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/laserkerf.htm

Hope that helps!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction