Ian Robinson

Default Mitre Lock Jointer

If you machined a mitre lock joint on all sides of 6 square MDF panels would
the joint allow them to be assembled as a perfect cube? Does the geometry of
the joint allow this?

Ian

Howard

I just completed a silverware chest for my new daughter in law and used
a lock mitre joint on the top and sides (five pieces). If you plan
ahead the top will drop right into the four sides. Therefore the six
sided box will assemble also. That said the lock mitre joint was a
bear to set up to ensure a good fit with no end grain showing.

Howard

BillyBob

"Howard" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just completed a silverware chest for my new daughter in law and used
a lock mitre joint on the top and sides (five pieces). If you plan
ahead the top will drop right into the four sides. Therefore the six
sided box will assemble also. That said the lock mitre joint was a
bear to set up to ensure a good fit with no end grain showing.

Howard, can you be more specific about "bear to set up". Does that mean it
took a lot of test cuts? Once you had it right, could you make the joints
repeatedly without tweaking? I watched a live demo of this joint method at
a show last year. Obviously the guy had done his tuning before the show.
But it looked so easy and reliable when he did it.

Bob

charlie b

Ian Robinson wrote:

If you machined a mitre lock joint on all sides of 6 square MDF panels would
the joint allow them to be assembled as a perfect cube? Does the geometry of
the joint allow this?

Yes, and you're not limited to cubes - if you're careful.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...MiterBox1.html

A pair of shop built devices will help quite a bit since
stock control is critical.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...ngCenter5.html

charlie b

Ed Clarke

http://home.comcast.net/%7Echarliebc...MiterBox1.html

--
"De inimico non loquaris sed cogites."
Paul Kierstead

charlie b wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:

If you machined a mitre lock joint on all sides of 6 square MDF panels would
the joint allow them to be assembled as a perfect cube? Does the geometry of
the joint allow this?

Yes, and you're not limited to cubes - if you're careful.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...MiterBox1.html

Truly fascinating, Charlie. Thanks for the page. I don't own one of the
bits, but I have to say that closed box appeals to me so much
conceptually I am tempted to buy one solely for making the box...

So, you say "Note after the sides and bottom have been put together,
once you put the top in place you won't be able to disassemble the parts
without hot gluing a handle onto the top or bottom.". Heh, no DAMHIKT?

PK
Howard

joints I did were the first ones I tried after a learning curve. It
took a few tries to set up to get tight and sharp edges. Also when you
are routing the joint you need to carefully hold the piece against a
jig or mitergage as you feed it because after it is routed you have
only a knife edge on the outfeed. I guess I screwed up one out of
every eight pieces.