Olebiker

Default Installing bandsaw tires

I have received a new set of bandsaw tires from Rockler and I need to
install them. I have never replaced them before. Does anyone have any
tips on doing this that might lower my cussing quotient?

I have images of using the plastic tire "irons" that I use to mount
bicycle tires.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Roy Smith

Olebiker wrote:
I have received a new set of bandsaw tires from Rockler and I need to
install them. I have never replaced them before. Does anyone have any
tips on doing this that might lower my cussing quotient?

I have images of using the plastic tire "irons" that I use to mount
bicycle tires.

Here's what I did. I don't know if this is the "right" way, or even a
"good" way, but it got the job done for me.

I've got a couple of one-handed reversable clamps
(http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=316762). I turned
them around into spreader mode, and used them at right angles to each
other to stretch the tire out large enough to just barely fit over the
wheel. I slipped the tire on, released the clamps, and was done.

I couldn't see any other way that didn't involve, as you say, using up
my cussing quota.
Steve

This is for a 20" bandsaw but might give you a couple ideas:
Soaking the bands in very hot water helps a bit.

Don Wheeler

"Olebiker" wrote in
oups.com:

I have received a new set of bandsaw tires from Rockler and I need to
install them. I have never replaced them before. Does anyone have any
tips on doing this that might lower my cussing quotient?

I have images of using the plastic tire "irons" that I use to mount
bicycle tires.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

I just installed these same tires on my 14" bandsaw. What worked for me
was to set a large open cardboard box on it's side. I put a wheel and a
tire in the box and placed a small electric heater in front of it. When
the wheel was warm to the touch, I put it on my workbench. My son, who is
bigger than I am, started the tire on the rim while I stretched and pushed
it in place. As I made progress, he moved his grip to keep it from popping
out. It takes strong fingers, but it worked for us. I tried metal bicycle
tire irons and clamps and didn't have any luck.

By the way, the new tires made a world of difference in my old saw. I
forgot how smooth it could run.

Don
Bob Bowles

Suffolk instructions with their blades said to soak in 150° water for
15 minutes then stretch onto the wheels. Worked slick.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:37:02 -0600, Don Wheeler
wrote:

"Olebiker" wrote in
roups.com:

[...]

Olebiker

Bob, I finally got the time this evening to use the Suffolk method.
Worked better than I had ever imagined. Thanks for the tip.
Dick Durbin