Koz

Default Bandsaw tires (And it's on topic!!)

Just got a small vertical walker turner bandsaw for free. It's a well
built machine of probably 50's vintage but hell...could be older or
newer as they don't really change over the years.

Anyway, I believe the thing was originally intended as a wood bandsaw
but currently has a metal cutting blade on it. The tires are cracked
and beat to the point of being useless. Wheels are about 12" dia
(haven't even gotten it out of the car yet).

My horizontal saw has steel faced wheels with a flange to keep the blade
from slipping. I'd like to set up this smaller saw for metal cutting
also. Any recommendations concerning the tire problem? Re-rubber or
should I figure out a way to use a steel faced wheel with flange as the
newer horizontal uses? Any recommendations as to a good generic FPM
speed that I should shoot for to cover average cutting needs?

Any ideas would help

Thanks,

Koz

Tom Gardner

The very best tire solution I have used is to make tires from a silicone
rubber that I got from a heat-seal blister packaging machine supply co. The
rubber came in sheets and I cut it into strips and contact cemented them to
the wheel. The rubber has outlasted factory tires 10 to 1.

"Koz" wrote in message
[...]

Eric R Snow

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:43:48 -0700, Koz
wrote:

[...]

Jeez, Koz,
I can't believe you had the temerity to post On Topic. Your'e gonna
ruin the group. Anyway, If MSC or J & L or McMaster-Carr can't
provide a tire you can make one yourself out of 1/8" thick rubber
sheet. This should be available at a local rubber or belting supply.
The rubber can be glued on with epoxy. I bought a used saw and the
previous owner had done that to the saw. The rubbers are still on.
Here, McMaster-Carr has these wheel rubbers:
10" 4561A31 $16.18
12" 4561A11 $16.87
14" 4561A12 $16.72
All 1" wide. Call 'em at 732-329-3200. Tell 'em Eric sent ya
They're on the web too.
ERS
Randal O'Brian

My 14" Delta wood/metal saw appears to urethane tires. Anyway, they are
tough and 7 years of cutting 98% metal on it has yet to wear the tires in an
significant way. Resilient tires give accurate tracking with different
blade widths and tensions. Anyway, you can get tires made from rubber or
urethane plus a multitude of band saw accessories at
http://www.carterproducts.com/produc...id=6&cat_id=15

Randy

"Koz" wrote in message
[...]

6e70

Often you can turn the old tires down on a lathe and get a good new
surface. One alternative is to make tires from an innertube. Cut a
band which is wider than your wheel, but smaller in diameter. Stretch
it around the wheel evenly, then insert dowel pins or other spacers
evenly around the wheel between the tire and the rim. leave spaces
between the dowels. coat both the rim and inner tire with contact
cement. After proper curing, remove the dowels one at a time from
oposite directions and stick the tire to the rim as you go. When the
cement is cured you can trim off the excess tire with a stanley knife.
(OR, you could buy some tires,). Either way, its best to true up the
old surface first, a lathe being the easiest way.
Paul

Roy

I bought mine for $9.00 each from Memphis Machine & Tool.....they are
a rubber, and so far have worked fine. Maybe when they do wear out
I'll try the urethane, but from what I have seen over the years
rubber lasts quite a number of years.

I certainly would not machine a flange into your wheels a a horizontal
bandsaw is a totally different machine than the verticle. I can't say
for sure but there are tons of metal cuttin g vertical bandsaws out
there and I have never seen one with flanges to retain the blade. They
all use adjustable guides. You can cange widths on verticle bandsaw
blades to accomodate different radius in cutting stock but normally a
horizontal takes one given blade with as its just used for cxutting
straight cuts, no curves.

wrote:

===Just got a small vertical walker turner bandsaw for free. It's a well
===built machine of probably 50's vintage but hell...could be older or
===newer as they don't really change over the years.
===
[...]

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Koz

Thanks for the link. As you and others have suggested here (and the
question I was really asking) was that rubber/urethane hold up under a
load of metal filings. I'll go ahead and true the wheels, replace the
bearings, and probably re-tire with urethane.

Thanks for the help, everyone

Koz (who had to get the kick in about the free brand new drill press and
table saw that he got in the same deal)

[...]

Stephen Young

Eric R Snow wrote:

Jeez, Koz,
I can't believe you had the temerity to post On Topic. Your'e gonna
ruin the group. Anyway, If MSC or J & L or McMaster-Carr can't
provide a tire you can make one yourself out of 1/8" thick rubber
sheet. This should be available at a local rubber or belting supply.
The rubber can be glued on with epoxy. I bought a used saw and the
previous owner had done that to the saw. The rubbers are still on.
Here, McMaster-Carr has these wheel rubbers:
10" 4561A31 $16.18
12" 4561A11 $16.87
14" 4561A12 $16.72
All 1" wide. Call 'em at 732-329-3200. Tell 'em Eric sent ya
They're on the web too.
ERS

Wow! You must have a very old McMaster book - current prices are $19.69,
$20.53, & $21.44 for those sizes...

geoff m

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:55:45 -0700, Koz
wrote:

Koz (who had to get the kick in about the free brand new drill press and
table saw that he got in the same deal)

Now there is a drive-by gloat if I aver saw one!
Geoff
Hitch

you can make one yourself out of 1/8" thick rubber
sheet. This should be available at a local rubber or belting supply.
The rubber can be glued on with epoxy.

Isn't epoxy too brittle for gluing rubber?

--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

xman Charlie

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On 10 Sep 2004 15:54:13 GMT, Hitch wrote:

you can make one yourself out of 1/8" thick rubber
sheet. This should be available at a local rubber or belting supply.
The rubber can be glued on with epoxy.

Isn't epoxy too brittle for gluing rubber?

No

Use the spray can 3M super 77 stuff. Its what I use...

my 2 cents

Rusty Bates

If you are want a reason to fire up the lathe, you can make your own.
I make them for a 1/6 scale T34-85 tank RC model project.
http://www.geocities.com/eastpac01/rubbertires.html

Rusty Bates