Abe

Default Searching for the name of a fitting

Hi,

I'm looking for the name of a fitting.

I need to screw a platform onto some legs that will support it. The
idea is to drill a hole (countersunk) down through the platform,
insert a threaded bolt and then screw into the leg. The top of each
leg will have a hole bored in it, with a threaded cylindrical metal
receptacle for the bolt embedded in the hole. The idea is that the
bolt screws into the receptacle, making the assembly easy to take
apart.

Anyone know what this receptacle is called, and a good place to find
them? Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to have them.
Juergen Hannappel

Abe writes:

Hi,

I'm looking for the name of a fitting.

I need to screw a platform onto some legs that will support it. The
idea is to drill a hole (countersunk) down through the platform,
insert a threaded bolt and then screw into the leg. The top of each
leg will have a hole bored in it, with a threaded cylindrical metal
receptacle for the bolt embedded in the hole. The idea is that the
bolt screws into the receptacle, making the assembly easy to take
apart.

Anyone know what this receptacle is called, and a good place to find
them? Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to have them.

Threaded insert, or in germany you would call it "Rampa-Muffe".
Look at:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...3576,43578&ap=
or
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...576,43578&ap=1
Although those do not seem to be made of steel

Or see he
http://www.vandykes.com/discount_product/02365730/
(DAGS threaded inserts for wood)
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:38:07 -0800, Abe wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for the name of a fitting.

I need to screw a platform onto some legs that will support it. The
idea is to drill a hole (countersunk) down through the platform,
insert a threaded bolt and then screw into the leg. The top of each
leg will have a hole bored in it, with a threaded cylindrical metal
receptacle for the bolt embedded in the hole. The idea is that the
bolt screws into the receptacle, making the assembly easy to take
apart.

I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in
a 1/4" hex by maybe 3/4" long size, and I'm sure that there are
other sizes out there.

Anyone know what this receptacle is called, and a good place to find
them? Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to have them.

If you know anyone with a (metal) lathe, they're pretty easy to,
ahem, turn out, given some hex or round stock and the appropriate
tap. But 'standoff' is the word you need here, and you should be able
to buy whatever you need without making it.

I've made 'em when I didn't feel like driving to the hardware store.

Dave Hinz

Juergen Hannappel

Dave Hinz writes:

[...]

I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in

A standoff has no wood thread on it's outside.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:08:18 +0100, Juergen Hannappel wrote:
Dave Hinz writes:

[...]

I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in

A standoff has no wood thread on it's outside.

I didn't (and don't) see that mentioned as a requirement in his
message?

Abe

I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in

A standoff has no wood thread on it's outside.

I didn't (and don't) see that mentioned as a requirement in his
message?

---------------
I should have been clearer. It must be threaded on the outside so that
it won't pull out of the leg once tension is applied by tightening
down the bolt from above.
Abe

Threaded insert, or in Germany you would call it "Rampa-Muffe".
Look at:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...3576,43578&ap=
or
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...576,43578&ap=1
Although those do not seem to be made of steel

Or see he
http://www.vandykes.com/discount_product/02365730/
(DAGS threaded inserts for wood)

----------
Thanks very much, exactly what I was looking for.
Chuck Hoffman

You didn't say whether or not the platform is intended to support one or
more humans but if it is, I wouldn't trust threaded inserts. There is
another device called a cross dowel that is inserted into a hole bored at
right angles to the centerline of the bolt and the bolt threads thru its
shank. It is about three times as long and the diameter of the bolt and I
believe it to be much more secure than a threaded insert because there is
much more than just threads bearing its load. Cross dowels are often used
to assemble furniture made of particle board because threaded inserts
usually strip out in such applications..

In your application if the bolts securing the platform are inserted
vertically, the cross dowels would be inserted in holes bored horizontally.

"Abe" wrote in message
I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in

A standoff has no wood thread on it's outside.

I didn't (and don't) see that mentioned as a requirement in his
message?

---------------
I should have been clearer. It must be threaded on the outside so that
it won't pull out of the leg once tension is applied by tightening
down the bolt from above.

Abe

You didn't say whether or not the platform is intended to support one or
more humans but if it is, I wouldn't trust threaded inserts. There is
another device called a cross dowel that is inserted into a hole bored at
right angles to the centerline of the bolt and the bolt threads thru its
shank. It is about three times as long and the diameter of the bolt and I
believe it to be much more secure than a threaded insert because there is
much more than just threads bearing its load. Cross dowels are often used
to assemble furniture made of particle board because threaded inserts
usually strip out in such applications..

In your application if the bolts securing the platform are inserted
vertically, the cross dowels would be inserted in holes bored horizontally.

--------------
Ahh yes, I see what you're saying. Fortunately, the total weight load
on this will be no more than 25 to 30 pounds.
Roger Shoaf

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:08:18 +0100, Juergen Hannappel

wrote:
Dave Hinz writes:

[...]

I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in

A standoff has no wood thread on it's outside.

I didn't (and don't) see that mentioned as a requirement in his
message?

Here is the quote with emphasis added:

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Juergen Hannappel

"Roger Shoaf" writes:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't (and don't) see that mentioned as a requirement in his
message?

Here is the quote with emphasis added:

The top of each
leg will have a hole bored in it, with a *threaded* cylindrical metal
receptacle for the bolt embedded in the hole.

Just *threaded* does not imply _on the outside_.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Brad Kimbrell

I believe you are describing either a T-Nut or a Threaded Insert. Most
likey the T-Nut on a table leg.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:08:18 +0100, Juergen Hannappel

wrote:
Dave Hinz writes:

[...]

I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in

A standoff has no wood thread on it's outside.

I didn't (and don't) see that mentioned as a requirement in his
message?

Here is the quote with emphasis added:

The top of each
leg will have a hole bored in it, with a *threaded* cylindrical metal
receptacle for the bolt embedded in the hole.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

John

T-nuts are basically worthless if used on the TOP of a table let, they
don't really have any holding power and pull out of the drilled holes
easily. They really are best used with the bolt/screw/whatever coming
thru from the opposite side so the flange of the T-nut is pulled up
against the wood to supply strength/rigidity

Threaded inserts would be the better choice here, OR KD hardware with
a thru dowel/etc that is threaded to catch the bolt

John

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:08:18 +0100, Juergen Hannappel

wrote:

[...]