Eag111

Default bandsaw confusion

im planning to buy a 14€? bandsaw. I did a google search and read the
comparison in FWW, Winter 2001/2002 (the workshop issue), which named the Delta
28-280 (costing more than $800) the best, with the Ridgid BS1400 the best
value, at $500. But several things have changed since that review...The Delta
saw seems to have become the 28-475X, and Jet has introduced an improved
version of its basic model, now selling for $599 on Amazon (model #710115K,
1.25 HP), and theres a 1 HP Delta saw (model #28-206) that seems very
similar to the Jet but wasnt included in the review, now selling for $549 on
Amazon. And now the Ridgid seems to be selling for $349, making it a much
better value. So my question is...Which one would you buy? The Amazon reviewers
rate the Jet more highly than the Delta, but they arent really doing
comparisons, and its not clear that theyre all talking about the current
models. To make things more confusing, the descriptions on Amazons website
vary from those in the Amazon/Tool Crib catalog...anyway, both seem to have
16/16 tables, 4 inch dust ports, 9-spoke wheels and quick release tension
levers...Is one likely to be much better than the other? And is the Ridgid in
the same league? Thanks in advance, Eric

Schroeder

I suggest looking at Grizzly's new 14 inch model with 1 1/2 horse motor.
Comes with bearing guides and is really well thought out well. You get what
you pay for....

Schroeder

"Eag111" wrote in message
[...]

Never Enough Money

I, too, am a bit confused. However, after reading the FWW article,
interviewing several owners, reading posts from this newsgroup, and
doing "other" research, I decided (1) a 1.5 HP is the size I need/can
afford and (2) the Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS Deluxe Bandsaw is the
best of that category.
Sorry to add yet another model to your choices.....

Jake

I bought the Jet 2 years ago at a Woodcraft dealers show at the
suggestion of Mark Duginske, the guy who literally wrote the book on
bandsaws (The Bandsaw Book). He was using a Jet doing demos. My other
choice was the Delta at the time, which was about $200 more. The Jet
has been great, but it's the only one I've ever used so I can't compare
it with others.

bf

Just a note.. IMO, at the 14 inch size, horsepower is not your primary
worry.
It's more important to have the saw properly tuned and the proper blade
for the job

My 12 year old Delta bandsaw has "only" as 3/4 HP motor and has done
everything I've ever asked it to do.

I'd stay away from the Rigid. Be careful.. often the tool that wins
"best value" is simply the cheapest one.

Also, most people do not realize that when magazines test tools (or
other products), they come directly from the manufacturer. So, the tool
the magazine guys gets has had 1000 times more quality control and
testing at the factory than the one you buy off the shelf. This can
make the lower priced/quality one seem better than it really is.
I know this, as I was part of this scam in another manufacturing
industry.. the product that the reviewers got was certainly not
representative of what 99% of the consumers got off the shelf.