Big Rob

Default Supplier of Quartersawn Walnut

Anyone have suggestions for where I might find 6/4 or 8/4 quartersawn
walnut? I'm in the bay area (California) and have tried most of the
local sources. MacBeath in Berkeley has 4/4 but nothing thicker.

Schroeder

Well...if you can't find anywhere local, try www.rusticmill.com/ they are in
Idaho, but they may ship???

(That's the best I have)

Schroeder

"Big Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have suggestions for where I might find 6/4 or 8/4 quartersawn
walnut? I'm in the bay area (California) and have tried most of the
local sources. MacBeath in Berkeley has 4/4 but nothing thicker.

AAvK

http://www.woodfinder.com/

--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment

AAvK

http://www.woodfinder.com/

I forgot to mention, on the left, click "Wood Library", they got a big list of sellers there.

--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment
http://www.e-sword.net/ (free excellent windows bible)

Scott Lurndal

"Big Rob" writes:
Anyone have suggestions for where I might find 6/4 or 8/4 quartersawn
walnut? I'm in the bay area (California) and have tried most of the
local sources. MacBeath in Berkeley has 4/4 but nothing thicker.

In Gilroy, try http://www.bakerhardwoods.com. He'll probably have it
(claro walnut, perhaps english walnut, unlikely eastern walnut).

You may also wish to check http://www.jackelenterprises.com/ in
Watsonville. Definitely worth a trip if you're looking for
quantity at a reasonable price. Jackel had 4/4 qtr sawn
for sure last time I was there, call and ask for 6+/4.

scott

SonomaProducts.com

Great links! Thanks Scott.

Roger Shoaf

If you are headed to the South Bay check out Southern Lumber. Although it
has been about 10 years since I left the Bay Area, Southern Lumber used to
have a huge selection of hardwoods.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
m...
"Big Rob" writes:
Anyone have suggestions for where I might find 6/4 or 8/4 quartersawn
walnut? I'm in the bay area (California) and have tried most of the
local sources. MacBeath in Berkeley has 4/4 but nothing thicker.

In Gilroy, try http://www.bakerhardwoods.com. He'll probably have it
(claro walnut, perhaps english walnut, unlikely eastern walnut).

You may also wish to check http://www.jackelenterprises.com/ in
Watsonville. Definitely worth a trip if you're looking for
quantity at a reasonable price. Jackel had 4/4 qtr sawn
for sure last time I was there, call and ask for 6+/4.

scott

Scott Lurndal

"Roger Shoaf" writes:
If you are headed to the South Bay check out Southern Lumber. Although it
has been about 10 years since I left the Bay Area, Southern Lumber used to
have a huge selection of hardwoods.

Sure. Still do. At 10x the price of anyone else. Much better to go to
global or aura (both relatively close to downtown sjc). Or better,
make the trip to Jackel in watsonville during one of their weekend sales.
Take a pickup truck along :-)

scott

Keith

You might try these guys:

http://www.gobywalnut.com/

-Keith

On 18 Jan 2005 13:31:21 -0800, "Big Rob" wrote:

Anyone have suggestions for where I might find 6/4 or 8/4 quartersawn
walnut? I'm in the bay area (California) and have tried most of the
local sources. MacBeath in Berkeley has 4/4 but nothing thicker.

Silvan

Keith wrote:

You might try these guys:

http://www.gobywalnut.com/

It's so hard being a treehugger and a woodworker. That poor huge tree.
That excellent, gorgeous lumber. Sigh.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Roger Shoaf

"Silvan" wrote in message

It's so hard being a treehugger and a woodworker. That poor huge tree.
That excellent, gorgeous lumber. Sigh.

Walnut trees grow on farms. Orchard trees last only so long before they are
replaced. Better to go to lumber than to fire wood.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Todd Fatheree

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Silvan" wrote in message

It's so hard being a treehugger and a woodworker. That poor huge tree.
That excellent, gorgeous lumber. Sigh.

Walnut trees grow on farms. Orchard trees last only so long before they

are
replaced. Better to go to lumber than to fire wood.

Roger Shoaf

I don't think the tree on their website grew in any walnut tree orchard,
unless they cull them every couple of hundred years.

todd

T. Cleek

If you don't mind driving to Chico you could get whatever you want from this
place.

http://www.wineland-walnut.com/

Call before you go but they've got what your looking for.

"Big Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have suggestions for where I might find 6/4 or 8/4 quartersawn
walnut? I'm in the bay area (California) and have tried most of the
local sources. MacBeath in Berkeley has 4/4 but nothing thicker.

Big Rob

Thanks for everyone's resposes. The only place in the bay area I could
find that has quartersawn walnut thicker than 4/4 is a place called
Global Wood Source in San Jose. They say they have 6/4 and 8/4
quartersawn claro walnut. Baker Hardwoods, woodnut.com, handloggers,
MacBeath, PALS, Jakel Enterprises and a few others don't carry it.