Rolling Thunder

Default Router Bit Sharpening

How does one sharpen router bits? Especially the molding bits?
Can they be touched up with a sharpening stone? Other than
taking them to a professional sharpening business, how can
the bits be sharpened or maintain sharpness?

I'm a recreational woodworker and buying a replacement
bit, inexpensive versions, is less expensive that having
them sharpened. Is there something I can do to sharpen
or maintain router bit sharpness myself?

Thunder
Charles Spitzer

"Rolling Thunder" wrote in message
How does one sharpen router bits? Especially the molding bits?
Can they be touched up with a sharpening stone? Other than
taking them to a professional sharpening business, how can
the bits be sharpened or maintain sharpness?

I'm a recreational woodworker and buying a replacement
bit, inexpensive versions, is less expensive that having
them sharpened. Is there something I can do to sharpen
or maintain router bit sharpness myself?

Thunder

call around. i get router bits sharpened for about $5.

Patriarch

Rolling Thunder wrote in
:

How does one sharpen router bits? Especially the molding bits?
Can they be touched up with a sharpening stone? Other than
taking them to a professional sharpening business, how can
the bits be sharpened or maintain sharpness?

I'm a recreational woodworker and buying a replacement
bit, inexpensive versions, is less expensive that having
them sharpened. Is there something I can do to sharpen
or maintain router bit sharpness myself?

Thunder

I'm not an expert, but I have tried touching up the back (flat) edge of a
couple of bits that I _really_ needed to have right then. It helped, I
think, for that project. Keeping them clean, free from pitch and crud,
seemed to help as well.

Working in something other than red oak also gets me much better results.

Patriarch

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rolling Thunder" wrote in message
How does one sharpen router bits? Especially the molding bits?
Can they be touched up with a sharpening stone? Other than
taking them to a professional sharpening business, how can
the bits be sharpened or maintain sharpness?

I'm a recreational woodworker and buying a replacement
bit, inexpensive versions, is less expensive that having
them sharpened. Is there something I can do to sharpen
or maintain router bit sharpness myself?

Thunder

Send them to Ridge Carbide tools. www.ridgecarbidetool.com Five bucks,
equal or better than new.

jo4hn

Rolling Thunder wrote:

How does one sharpen router bits? Especially the molding bits?
Can they be touched up with a sharpening stone? Other than
taking them to a professional sharpening business, how can
the bits be sharpened or maintain sharpness?

I'm a recreational woodworker and buying a replacement
bit, inexpensive versions, is less expensive that having
them sharpened. Is there something I can do to sharpen
or maintain router bit sharpness myself?

Thunder

Clean them up. Use a stiff brush, some blade/oven cleaner if necessary.
Put a drop of light oil in the bearing (if the bit is piloted). You
can touch up the flat side of the bit with a fine file. Don't fiddle
with the curved side. Can only lead to grief.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Woodcrafter

Yep definitely only tough up the flat surface on the 'back'. I use diamond
hones for this task and seems to work well. A picture of router bit
sharpening in the following review:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ezelap.htm

Hope that helps!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

"Rolling Thunder" wrote in message
How does one sharpen router bits? Especially the molding bits?
Can they be touched up with a sharpening stone? Other than
taking them to a professional sharpening business, how can
the bits be sharpened or maintain sharpness?

I'm a recreational woodworker and buying a replacement
bit, inexpensive versions, is less expensive that having
them sharpened. Is there something I can do to sharpen
or maintain router bit sharpness myself?

Thunder

An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Help with sharpening router / shaper bits... loutent Woodworking 5 April 15th 04 04:14 PM
sharpening router bits Sam the Cat Woodworking 13 April 9th 04 08:21 PM
Sharpening Router Bits Martin UK diy 2 February 14th 04 06:36 AM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM