John

Default bandsaw specs

I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what that
means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John

firstjois

John wrote:
I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what
that means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John

AFAIK the 14" equals the amount of saw that it is possible to expose - not
the amount of saw it is possible to use for cutting. 14" bandsaws have at
least a 3/4 HP induction motor instead of the small universal motor found
on jigsaws. This allows the bandsaw to cut through THICK stock, up to 6 or
more inches thick. I don't know what the max thickness is for a 14"
bandsaw.

Josie

Stephen M

14" wheel diameter

This translates into an "almost" 14" throat capacity.

-Steve

"John" wrote in message
I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what that
means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John

Clint

AFAIK, the 14" measures the distance from the blade to the column that
supports the upper wheel. The depth of material that can be cut is
different on each saw, and some can take an extension to raise the upper
wheel assembly to increase this depth of material.

Duginske's book The Bandsaw Handbook is a good starting point
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1105472811/sr=
1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-1317500-4168826?v=glance&s=books)

Clint

"firstjois" wrote in message
John wrote:
I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what
that means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John

AFAIK the 14" equals the amount of saw that it is possible to expose - not
the amount of saw it is possible to use for cutting. 14" bandsaws have

at
least a 3/4 HP induction motor instead of the small universal motor found
on jigsaws. This allows the bandsaw to cut through THICK stock, up to 6 or
more inches thick. I don't know what the max thickness is for a 14"
bandsaw.

Josie

My 14" Rockwell has a 1/2HP motor that resaws 6" hardwoods well as it
doesn't have the riser. The 14" refers to the diameter of the wheels.