DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   bandsaw specs (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/85782-bandsaw-specs.html)

John January 11th 05 06:59 PM

bandsaw specs

I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what that
means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John

firstjois January 11th 05 07:11 PM

John wrote:
I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what
that means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John

AFAIK the 14" equals the amount of saw that it is possible to expose - not
the amount of saw it is possible to use for cutting. 14" bandsaws have at
least a 3/4 HP induction motor instead of the small universal motor found
on jigsaws. This allows the bandsaw to cut through THICK stock, up to 6 or
more inches thick. I don't know what the max thickness is for a 14"
bandsaw.

Josie

Stephen M January 11th 05 07:27 PM

14" wheel diameter

This translates into an "almost" 14" throat capacity.

-Steve

Clint January 11th 05 07:48 PM

AFAIK, the 14" measures the distance from the blade to the column that
supports the upper wheel. The depth of material that can be cut is
different on each saw, and some can take an extension to raise the upper
wheel assembly to increase this depth of material.

Duginske's book The Bandsaw Handbook is a good starting point
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1105472811/sr=
1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-1317500-4168826?v=glance&s=books)

Clint

[email protected] January 12th 05 08:50 AM

My 14" Rockwell has a 1/2HP motor that resaws 6" hardwoods well as it
doesn't have the riser. The 14" refers to the diameter of the wheels.