TheNewGuy

Default Delta 8" jointers: HELP: "Precision" v. "Professional" & "DJ20" v. "DJ-20"

How many 8" jointers does Delta have!?!?

Just got the latest ToolCrib today, and I'm hoping some of you kind
folk can shed light on the differences between these Delta machines:

8" DJ20 Precision Jointer (#37-365X) - $1670
8" DJ-20 Precision Jointer (#37-350A) - $1350
8" Professional Jointer (#37-380) - $1050

All seem to be 1-1/2 hp motors, 115/230 1-phase; 3-blade cutters. The
"X" is part of their Xtreme line, 5-yr warranty there.

Other than the marketing brochure highlights, can anyone offer any more
practical/operational differences between these 3?

Thanks much,
Chris

B a r r y

TheNewGuy wrote:
How many 8" jointers does Delta have!?!?

Just got the latest ToolCrib today, and I'm hoping some of you kind
folk can shed light on the differences between these Delta machines:

8" DJ20 Precision Jointer (#37-365X) - $1670
8" DJ-20 Precision Jointer (#37-350A) - $1350
8" Professional Jointer (#37-380) - $1050

All seem to be 1-1/2 hp motors, 115/230 1-phase; 3-blade cutters. The
"X" is part of their Xtreme line, 5-yr warranty there.

Other than the marketing brochure highlights, can anyone offer any more
practical/operational differences between these 3?

The two DJ-20's are nearly identical, the X-5 has a longer warranty and
a free tool or mobile base. DJ-20, as well as the DJ-15 and DJ-30, have
tables that move on parallelogram levers. They are nicer to use and
easier to adjust than most comparably priced, sliding dovetailed machines.

The 37-380 uses dovetailed ways for the tables to move, like cheaper 8"
and most 6" machines.

Shop around, two of us here bought 37-350A's for $1099 last year.
AFAIK, the 350A has been discontinued in favor of the 365X.

Barry
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

B a r r y wrote:
8" DJ20 Precision Jointer (#37-365X) - $1670
8" DJ-20 Precision Jointer (#37-350A) - $1350
8" Professional Jointer (#37-380) - $1050

All seem to be 1-1/2 hp motors, 115/230 1-phase; 3-blade cutters. The
"X" is part of their Xtreme line, 5-yr warranty there.

Other than the marketing brochure highlights, can anyone offer any more
practical/operational differences between these 3?

The two DJ-20's are nearly identical, the X-5 has a longer warranty and
a free tool or mobile base.

Free? It looks to me like that "free" tool runs $320.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

GregP

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:17:33 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

The two DJ-20's are nearly identical, the X-5 has a longer warranty and
a free tool or mobile base.

Free? It looks to me like that "free" tool runs $320.

I'm pretty sure that that expired as of 12/31 anyway.

B a r r y

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Free? It looks to me like that "free" tool runs $320.

Delta's words, not mine. Don't forget the "EXTREME Savings Book" and
extra warranty!

I bought the non-X5 version.

Barry

The 365"X" version is the same machine as the 350"A" but I suspect the
A is being phased out. I got my A for about $1200 at a wood show. X
may get you some extra goodies like a mobile base if the promotion is
still on, but otherwise the only difference is a 5 year warranty and
some snazzy decals, which I don't think is worth an additional $300+.
My 2 cents is that the 380 is lighter duty and of the older design as
someone noted, and the A is in my judgment well worth the extra $300
over the cost of the 380. If the warranty is important to you, get the
X, but with either the X or A you will have no regrets and its likely
the last jointer you'll ever need.

Mutt.

TheNewGuy

Thanks Barry. Where's "here," in "two of us here bought..." ?

Know of any websites that illustrate the difference between the
dovetail ways and the parallelogram ways (for those who are New, like
me )

-Chris

B a r r y wrote:
The two DJ-20's are nearly identical, the X-5 has a longer warranty

and
a free tool or mobile base. DJ-20, as well as the DJ-15 and DJ-30,

have
tables that move on parallelogram levers. They are nicer to use and
easier to adjust than most comparably priced, sliding dovetailed

machines.

The 37-380 uses dovetailed ways for the tables to move, like cheaper

8"
and most 6" machines.

Shop around, two of us here bought 37-350A's for $1099 last year.
AFAIK, the 350A has been discontinued in favor of the 365X.

Barry

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

B a r r y wrote:
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Free? It looks to me like that "free" tool runs $320.

Delta's words, not mine. Don't forget the "EXTREME Savings Book" and
extra warranty!

I know... I've seen that same sort of crap at work. We used to get an
employee's discount in the cafeteria. Then they built a food court and when it
opened, dropped the discount. When I complained, they said that was "so
everyone could enjoy the same low priced food". As I pointed out, that would
have been fine had the food been low priced.

$5 for a meal of high quality hospital cuisine doesn't count as a bargain in my
book. Where I currently work I can eat lunch for about $3.25. *That's* a
bargain. For jointers, I was looking at the Yorkcraft YC-8J as a possibility.
Compared to the Deltas, *it's* a bargain at $625.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

B a r r y

TheNewGuy wrote:
Thanks Barry. Where's "here," in "two of us here bought..." ?

rec.woodworking.

As far as demonstrations, look at the pictures. All dovetailed machines
have that angular shaped center section, the tables slide up and down on
them.

Look he
http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/PartsLists/20040512133716_J3D.pdf

Parallelogram machines have tables that move within the main body:
http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/PartsLists/20040916152159_J3C.pdf

Barry
Mark Howell

"B a r r y" wrote in message
om...
TheNewGuy wrote:
[...]

Does the X have a better fence? My 350A fence is a pos...

Electric Stu

Seems like Tool Crib (Amazon.com) just ran out of the 350A's two days
ago, minutes before I was going to buy one. It's hard to justify laying
out the additional $320 for virtually the same machine with an
additional three years of warranty. The mobile base is only worth $90.
I'm going to look at the Grizzly 8" spiral jointer before I make a
final decision.

Stu

In article . com,
wrote:

The 365"X" version is the same machine as the 350"A" but I suspect the
A is being phased out. I got my A for about $1200 at a wood show. X
may get you some extra goodies like a mobile base if the promotion is
still on, but otherwise the only difference is a 5 year warranty and
some snazzy decals, which I don't think is worth an additional $300+.
My 2 cents is that the 380 is lighter duty and of the older design as
someone noted, and the A is in my judgment well worth the extra $300
over the cost of the 380. If the warranty is important to you, get the
X, but with either the X or A you will have no regrets and its likely
the last jointer you'll ever need.

Mutt.

Ba r r y

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:57:40 -0500, Electric Stu
wrote:

I'm going to look at the Grizzly 8" spiral jointer before I make a
final decision.

The Grizzly machine that's truly comparable to the DJ-20 is the $1800
parallelogram machine.

Barry