igor

Default In praise of Google IMAGES searches

Often (and, perhaps, not as often as is justified), questioners here get
"DAGS" replies. I would suggest an amended (if awkward as a new acronym)
reply to some of those questioners, DAGIS - do a google images search. For
starters, this cuts down on web documents that do not have relevant
pictures -- and, often, the questioner is looking for a picture of an item
or a plan, or both.

And, it can be easier to scan the results.

Consider a recent question posted here for rubber band gun plans. Compare
the results from a simple Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=rubber%20band%20gun&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&sa =N&tab=iw
and from a Google images search:
http://images.google.com/images?q=rubber+band+gun&hl=en

(A side benefit: Note that the images link is shorter, so fewer "wrap"
problems - a bane of some here.)

FWIW. -- Igor

PS: While I may not agree with these distinctions as a general proposition
(i.e., outside DOD), for those woodsmith wordsmiths among us, re the term
"acronym", this is from a recent Wash Post article:

For those who don't know the drill, the Army document explains that an
abbreviation is a shortened form of a word or phrase, such as "appt" for
"appointment." A brevity code is an abridged form, normally in uppercase
letters, of commonly used phrases (for example, "REFRAD means release from
active duty"). And an acronym is a word manufactured from the initial
letter or letters of a name or a series of words ("ASAP means as soon as
possible").
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Jan6.html

Lobby Dosser

http://www.google.com/search?q=rubbe...&lr=&c2coff=1&
sa=N&tab=iw and from a Google images search:
http://images.google.com/images?q=rubber+band+gun&hl=en

WOW! 354,000 down to 301. Great tip! Thanks.

I like the Commando gun.
Nova

igor wrote:

snipped

And, it can be easier to scan the results.

Consider a recent question posted here for rubber band gun plans. Compare
the results from a simple Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=rubber%20band%20gun&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&sa =N&tab=iw
and from a Google images search:
http://images.google.com/images?q=rubber+band+gun&hl=en

If I wanted to see pictures of rubber band guns my Google search would have been:

+"rubber band gun" +picture

Here's they results of that search which even links to "Google Images":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...%22+%2Bpicture

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA