Larry Jaques

Default Help in Google (or other) Searching

I received a SitePoint Tech Times (techie newsletter)
today and it mentioned a new beta on Google which uses
auto-complete: Google Suggest Beta

For those of you who are Search Challenged, this might
help. As you type in what you want to search for, it
also searches its list of searches and shows that list to
you. As any good searcher understands, knowing what words
to use can make or break a search. If you're stymied with
the first search, look for results which somewhat match
your goal and pick up new adjectives to use in your next
search. Refine it as you go. Enjoy!

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

jo4hn

Larry Jaques wrote:

I received a SitePoint Tech Times (techie newsletter)
today and it mentioned a new beta on Google which uses
auto-complete: Google Suggest Beta

For those of you who are Search Challenged, this might
help. As you type in what you want to search for, it
also searches its list of searches and shows that list to
you. As any good searcher understands, knowing what words
to use can make or break a search. If you're stymied with
the first search, look for results which somewhat match
your goal and pick up new adjectives to use in your next
search. Refine it as you go. Enjoy!

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1

Well worth a look, folks. Jo4hnnie likes it.
j4

Larry Jaques wrote:
I received a SitePoint Tech Times (techie newsletter)
today and it mentioned a new beta on Google which uses
auto-complete: Google Suggest Beta

For those of you who are Search Challenged, this might
help. As you type in what you want to search for, it
also searches its list of searches and shows that list to
you. As any good searcher understands, knowing what words
to use can make or break a search. If you're stymied with
the first search, look for results which somewhat match
your goal and pick up new adjectives to use in your next
search. Refine it as you go. Enjoy!

I really don't comprehend how people can have problems searching. For
example, for the millionth time someone asked about what to use on a
cutting board... so I typed in

what do I use to finish a cutting board

3rd link down gave the answer... What problem do you people really
have?

Vic Baron

wrote in message
oups.com...

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

kant spehl kuting bored?

Merry Christmas hohoho

tall_corn

Question, when setting up meta links for my ebay store or web site for
the Kreg Jig do I use :
Kreg pocket hole jig K2000 Pro Pack PP to cover any possible
combination that people might type in the search engine?
Pocket hole comes up 1,810,000 times
Pocket hole jig comes up 57,700 times
Kreg Pocket hole jig comes up 17,600 times
Kreg 2000pp comes up 12,300 times
Is it better to be narrow or all inclusive?
Scott
Scott

Woodcrafter

"tall_corn" wrote in message
ups.com...
Question, when setting up meta links for my ebay store or web site for
the Kreg Jig do I use :
Kreg pocket hole jig K2000 Pro Pack PP to cover any possible
combination that people might type in the search engine?
Pocket hole comes up 1,810,000 times
Pocket hole jig comes up 57,700 times
Kreg Pocket hole jig comes up 17,600 times
Kreg 2000pp comes up 12,300 times
Is it better to be narrow or all inclusive?
Scott

Apparently google ignores meta links/tags now anyway and only looks at the
actual visible content of your website??
Or so I heard. I think there is something on google's search engine
information pages to say something similar. Not sure about other search
engines.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Silvan

J T wrote:

the word was, it probably never would have occurred to me on my own.
But, stuck it in, and that was the key. Sometimes that's the really
hard part, finding that one key word.

Yup. Exactly. It's really all about figuring out what other people call
those things you're thinking of.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

BillyBob

"Woodcrafter" wrote in message

Apparently google ignores meta links/tags now anyway and only looks at the
actual visible content of your website??
Or so I heard. I think there is something on google's search engine
information pages to say something similar. Not sure about other search
engines.

They also accept $$$$ to make your site more visible.

Bob

Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:
J T wrote:

the word was, it probably never would have occurred to me on my own.
But, stuck it in, and that was the key. Sometimes that's the really
hard part, finding that one key word.

Yup. Exactly. It's really all about figuring out what other people
call those things you're thinking of.

I recall a story about how hard this is to do in other languages & cultures.
An American somewhere in the middle east couldn't find the number of a
rental car agency until he asked the operator to look for "We Try Harder."
;-)

-- Mark

BillyBob

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1

At first, I didn't think this tool provided any value. Then I realized that
it was presenting me with lists of validated searches that matched ALL the
words I selected. This is a time saver, when trying to find the right
combination of words that might yield useful results.

Bob