R.H.

Default What is it? XLIII

Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Jack

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

How fitting that item 238 is a P-38 GI can opener

Mark and Kim Smith

#236 looks like another chain breaker.
#237 almost looks like a wire stripper but because it is compound, is
probably a crimper of some sort.
#238 can opener
#239 ??
#240 tool for spreading automotive battery terminal clamps.
#241 looks like a thickness gauge.
bkr

R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I'm sure someone's answered this already, but here are my answers:

#236 is a bicycle chain link tool
#237 looks like a crimping tool of some kind, though I couldn't say what for
#238 P-38 can opener, issued to GIs when rations were in cans, before
MREs became the standard ration
#239 Looks like one of those 70s plastic ashtrays but that's not it...
#240 really funny pliers or spreaders of some kind...specific uses I
have no idea though.
#241 wire thickness guage

thanks for sharing, that's a very interesting page you've got there.

bkr
Matthew Newell

In article ,
says...
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

236. (I've got one exactly like this) - it is for pushing
out/replacing the removable rivet/pin in a bicycle chain

237 - (my micrometer is ls starrett and i'm english bought
it in a junk sale it is beautiful engineering )this has
gotta be some form of adjustable jaw cutters/nipper used
from clipping tiles to shape - but the blades look round
the wrong way

238 (I've got one of these as well ) it's a tin opener, I
believe it was a us military design/issue

239. (you've not broken into my home to take photos have
you?) - my zoetrope looks just like this

240

241 could be a drill bit holder d-i-y style

Thanks and Regards

Matthew Newell

Dennis Arenson

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:39:19 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Number 241 is a watchmakers tool. Perhaps more properly, part of a
watchmakers tool. It is a hexagon anvil anvil. The small holes are
used to hold the shoulders of balance staffs while a stake with a hole
in it is used to rivet the staff to the wheel. The larger holes can
be used to riviet wheels to pinions in a similar manner.
The hole in the bottom suggests that this was part of or could be used
as part of) a "Staking tool". The stakes were guided plumbly over
the holes that cold be rotated under the guide.

You might want to check out this URL to see what the anvil alone and
the staking took look like.

http://shorinternational.com/JewelingStaking.htm
Dave W

240 is, you asked for it, a nostril spreader for examination purposes.

Ned Simmons

In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

236 Bicycle chain breaker
237 Spring wire cutter -- cuts hard wire
238 GI can opener -- popular among backpackers
239 ?
240 ?
241 Bench block used when driving out small pins, etc.

Ned Simmons
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

239 appears to be an automobile ashtray for an old Dodge

241 -- perhaps part of wire-extruding machinery?
Jeff Wisnia

Jack wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message

Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

How fitting that item 238 is a P-38 GI can opener

So named because it was supposed to take 38 punches to work its way
around the top of a standard K-ration can.

Jeff (Smoke 'em if youve got 'em...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Fred R

241 the anvil part of a staking press
--
Fred R
________________
Scott Lurndal

#236 Bicycle Chain link removal tool
#238 Can opener
#239 Camera Lens Shade

scott
Mike M

In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

235, Tube flaring tool.
233, Tap or die holder.
238, GI can opener.
236, Bicycle chain tool.
--
"Trust me, I do this all the time"
Mike M

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

236) Some sort of tool for pressing a pin out or in? Perhaps for
roller drive chains?

237) A set of Starrett compound leverage end cutter pliers (Cutnippers).
Except that the replaceable blades don't look right. I suspect
that this has been modified to act as a crimper. These are
normally avaialbe with either tool steel blades or carbide
blades, and are normally used for cutting things like (hardened
spring) music wire.

There are two sizes of these, and mine are the smaller ones (No
1-5-1/2"). This marking is right where the "S-Y" marking is on
your example.

Note that there is an adjustable stop screw in the center of the
spring (from the left-hand handle a shown), to adjust so the
blades *almost* but not quite touch after re-sharpening. (The
instruction slip packed with them suggests 0.001" clearance.)

But these have no edges, which is why I suggest that they have
been modified to serve as some form of crimper.

O.K. I've just gone on down to the next image, and the end
shape supports my feeling. Note also, that the screw on the jaw
to the right is totally non-standard, while the one on the left
may well be original.

238) K-ration can opener.

239) Some form of lens hood? I can't see the small end, to tell
whether it is open, and threads into a lens. If so, the slots
may allow the large end to be stored reversed on a lens body.

240) Pliers to expand the inside of something -- perhaps flexible
tubing prior to slipping onto a fitting?

241) Jeweler's bench block. I've never known what function the
slots along the near edge serve, but I suspect for holding a
gear for filing or other work?

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Dave Balderstone

In article , R.H.
wrote:

Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

236 is a bicycle chain tool.

238 is a can opener

R.H.

#236 looks like another chain breaker.

Correct.

#237 almost looks like a wire stripper but because it is compound, is
probably a crimper of some sort.

It's a crimper, but that's all I know about it.

#238 can opener

Yes

#239 ??
#240 tool for spreading automotive battery terminal clamps.

Correct

#241 looks like a thickness gauge.

Nope

R.H.

"Jack" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

How fitting that item 238 is a P-38 GI can opener

That worked out pretty good, I didn't know it was a P-38.

239 cement drill

R.H.

"Matthew Newell" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

236. (I've got one exactly like this) - it is for pushing
out/replacing the removable rivet/pin in a bicycle chain

Correct

237 - (my micrometer is ls starrett and i'm english bought
it in a junk sale it is beautiful engineering )this has
gotta be some form of adjustable jaw cutters/nipper used
from clipping tiles to shape - but the blades look round
the wrong way

I'm not sure exactly what this one is for

238 (I've got one of these as well ) it's a tin opener, I
believe it was a us military design/issue

Yes

239. (you've not broken into my home to take photos have
you?) - my zoetrope looks just like this

Zeotrope is correct, and no I haven't broken into your house recently.

#236 is a bicycle chain link tool
#237 looks like a crimping tool of some kind, though I couldn't say what

for
#238 P-38 can opener, issued to GIs when rations were in cans, before
MREs became the standard ration

These are all correct

#239 Looks like one of those 70s plastic ashtrays but that's not it...

You're correct that it isn't an ashtray.

#240 really funny pliers or spreaders of some kind...specific uses I
have no idea though.
#241 wire thickness guage

It's not a thickness gauge.

Or maybe it's called a concrete saw. A diamond or carbide tipped thing
for making holes in concrete and similar stuff.

R.H.

"Dennis Arenson" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:39:19 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Number 241 is a watchmakers tool. Perhaps more properly, part of a
watchmakers tool. It is a hexagon anvil anvil. The small holes are
used to hold the shoulders of balance staffs while a stake with a hole
in it is used to rivet the staff to the wheel. The larger holes can
be used to riviet wheels to pinions in a similar manner.
The hole in the bottom suggests that this was part of or could be used
as part of) a "Staking tool". The stakes were guided plumbly over
the holes that cold be rotated under the guide.

You might want to check out this URL to see what the anvil alone and
the staking took look like.

http://shorinternational.com/JewelingStaking.htm

Thanks for the link! I wasn't sure about this one.

R.H.

"Dave W" wrote in message
240 is, you asked for it, a nostril spreader for examination purposes.

Yes, but you forgot to mention that it doubles as an automotive tool.

R.H.

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

239 appears to be an automobile ashtray for an old Dodge

The slots are too thin for it to be an ashtray.

241 -- perhaps part of wire-extruding machinery?

Nope

John Thomas

"R.H." wrote in newsYhDd.9687$iu5.6281
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

#240 really funny pliers or spreaders of some kind...specific uses I
have no idea though.
#241 wire thickness guage

#240's a spreader for battery terminals (car battery).
#231 looks like something telephone related (dialer from a switchboard?)

Regards,
JT
John Thomas

#240 really funny pliers or spreaders of some kind...specific uses I
have no idea though.
#241 wire thickness guage

#240's a spreader for battery terminals (car battery).
#231 looks like something telephone related (dialer from a switchboard?)

Regards,
JT
R.H.

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .
In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

235, Tube flaring tool.
233, Tap or die holder.
238, GI can opener.
236, Bicycle chain tool.

These are all correct.

R.H.

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .
In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

235, Tube flaring tool.
233, Tap or die holder.
238, GI can opener.
236, Bicycle chain tool.

These are all correct.

R.H.

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

236 Bicycle chain breaker

Correct

237 Spring wire cutter -- cuts hard wire

I don't see any cutting edges on this one

238 GI can opener -- popular among backpackers

Yes

239 ?
240 ?
241 Bench block used when driving out small pins, etc.

It's a watchmaker's tool, so I suppose they could use it for that.

R.H.

"Fred R" "spam wrote in message
241 the anvil part of a staking press

Correct

R.H.

"Fred R" "spam wrote in message
241 the anvil part of a staking press

Correct

R.H.

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
m...

#236 Bicycle Chain link removal tool
#238 Can opener
#239 Camera Lens Shade

The first two are right, but not the last.

R.H.

#236 Bicycle Chain link removal tool
#238 Can opener
#239 Camera Lens Shade

The first two are right, but not the last.

So... is 239 a zoetrope or a zeotrope and what is it for?

So... is 239 a zoetrope or a zeotrope and what is it for?

R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

236) Some sort of tool for pressing a pin out or in? Perhaps for
roller drive chains?

Correct, it's for bike chains, I'm not familiar with roller drive chains.

237) A set of Starrett compound leverage end cutter pliers (Cutnippers).
Except that the replaceable blades don't look right. I suspect
that this has been modified to act as a crimper. These are
normally avaialbe with either tool steel blades or carbide
blades, and are normally used for cutting things like (hardened
spring) music wire.

Yes, someone from Starrett also suggested that they might have been
modified.

There are two sizes of these, and mine are the smaller ones (No
1-5-1/2"). This marking is right where the "S-Y" marking is on
your example.

It's hard to read, but for the record mine says "S-7".

Note that there is an adjustable stop screw in the center of the
spring (from the left-hand handle a shown), to adjust so the
blades *almost* but not quite touch after re-sharpening. (The
instruction slip packed with them suggests 0.001" clearance.)

But these have no edges, which is why I suggest that they have
been modified to serve as some form of crimper.

O.K. I've just gone on down to the next image, and the end
shape supports my feeling. Note also, that the screw on the jaw
to the right is totally non-standard, while the one on the left
may well be original.

I hadn't noticed the stop screw, thanks for the info.

238) K-ration can opener.

Correct.

239) Some form of lens hood? I can't see the small end, to tell
whether it is open, and threads into a lens. If so, the slots
may allow the large end to be stored reversed on a lens body.

The bottom of this one isn't open, it's not a lens hood.

240) Pliers to expand the inside of something -- perhaps flexible
tubing prior to slipping onto a fitting?

Yes, it's for expanding something, but not for tubing.

241) Jeweler's bench block. I've never known what function the
slots along the near edge serve, but I suspect for holding a
gear for filing or other work?

Correct.

R.H.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message